Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Gearbox advice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jack

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Gearbox advice.

I was using my D3 to drag out some semi-large trees in the garden. Connected 3 x ten ton tow straps, wrapped round tree near the top, attached to tow bar, selected low range and gave it some welly. First tree ripped out roots included with little problem, not even any wheel slippage. (technique probably not recommended by boring garderning types)

Second tree, I took up the slack, put it some considerable tension and realised there was an obstruction. This is where I did something fairly numb. Whilst straps were under tension without thinking I when from drive to park before the brake had taken the strain.

I heard some clicking from the gearbox immediately before it slotted into park.

I have since driven the D3 a short distance and there doesn't appear to be any damage, but I was wondering if any of you technical lot my know what the clicking noise was and whether it is likely there is any long term damage that may emerge later.

Post #14903917th Apr 2007 4:28 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I've had a clunk or two when inadvertantly putting it into Park while still moving Shocked (at about 3mph Wink ) ...you should be fine if it's still working as before...the noise was probably the Park pin finding its place perhaps Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14904617th Apr 2007 4:39 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yep mine does this if I am too impatient, usually in low range, sort of like a ratchet sound. Its the parking pawl in the gearbox slipping over the holes. Nowt to worry about, its supposed to do it. If it grabbed whilst movement was there, then something would break.

Post #14905817th Apr 2007 5:06 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mines done that too, particularly when on the lakes trip when my handbrake wasn't working, so I was relying on the park position (and Rob's car behind me!).
 Matt  
Post #14908817th Apr 2007 5:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >