Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

G4 Bull Bar/A Bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
G15MTS

Sweden 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3
G4 Bull Bar/A Bar

I'm on the hunt for an A bar for my 2005 V8. They are like hens teeth as I'm sure most are aware..... I found one a while ago and may have an option of another. The last one was just too tatty for me but this one is in good condition with no damage but certainly a little tired and looking it's age.

Are they paintable (with regular or Raptor style paint for example) or has anyone any experience with bringing an older one back to life in one way or another?

Thanks in advance for your help, any input greatly recieved!

Post #211463421st Jan 2020 5:00 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

There are two different types so beware...one for winch fit which is the one for the genuine G4”s......
They are made of a very soft foam hence why they are easily damaged especially by pressure washers.... I don’t think they serve any purpose other than looking hard....the way they mount particularly on the top mounting which is just a plate that screws into the front grill shows they cannot be used for anything “strenuous’....

Post #211464921st Jan 2020 6:47 pm
brsc2909

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

It might be a bit crude, but I've always used burned engine oil to bring the black back in faded plastic parts. you'll need to re-apply every few months or so but it works surprisingly well.

B

Post #211465021st Jan 2020 6:50 pm
G15MTS

Yeah for sure they serve very little purpose but I do quite like the look..... I know, I know....

It's some sort of finished foam which is why I wonder if the usual plastic back to black methods would work.....

Post #211465821st Jan 2020 7:43 pm
Farmer Chalk

It’s weird stuff.. like a plastic foam but it doesn’t take to polishes....it’s like a firmer kitchen sponge and if harshly treated the top surface is easily damaged...
I scrub mine gently ....but you can see marks where the previous owner jet washed it....
You won’t be able to paint it but you probably could back to black it quite easily but I fear getting it a uniform colour may be too much work!

Post #211473321st Jan 2020 11:50 pm
paulf

England 2014 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

I bought mine second hand and it was a bit patchy. I used Autoglym (bumper restorer I think it’s called), which is a gel that you can work into the foam. It seems to have worked well and I haven’t needed to redo it in six months.

Cheers
 Discovery 4 XXV
BMW 530d M Sport plus
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono 

Post #211475622nd Jan 2020 9:01 am
G15MTS

Thanks for the informative responses folks! Well I've went for it and just bought one second hand so I guess I need to figure it out now and update the forum regarding my success or failure here....

ANOTHER question, I have the parking sensors at the front but the bar will come without the holders for them...... Buy a full fitting kit or is there a universal parking sensor holder/brace which could work in some way.....

Post #211502923rd Jan 2020 10:07 am
CongoBoy

Zimbabwe 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

When I bought my D3 in South Africa it had the winch assembly and the same A-Frame Nudge bar installed.
The front sensors were immobilised using a GAP IID Tool (or another dealer equivalent at the time).
Apparently the two inner sensors just go off all the time due to the close mounted proximity of the bar.

I'm sure that there will be other Forum members that can enlighten you further.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue- South African Spec. (Zimbabwe)
2005 FFRR SC V8- Java Black
1995 D1 300 Tdi Blue - (Sourced from the UK, shipped to Namibia, driven by me to RD Congo, then Zambia, now retired in Zimbabwe) 

Post #211504523rd Jan 2020 10:36 am
CongoBoy

Just enclosed a picture. Hopefully it explains it better!

1995 D1 300 Tdi Blue - (Sourced from the UK, shipped to Namibia, driven by me to RD Congo, then Zambia, now retired in Zimbabwe) 

Post #211505023rd Jan 2020 10:47 am
Farmer Chalk

Agreed... on my G4 the front sensors are disabled....re the fitting kit it really is nothing more than some L shaped brackets and a piece of straight bar for the top mounts...dependant on price I’d have a go making some myself....

Post #211505523rd Jan 2020 11:05 am
G15MTS

Embarassed Ok so I don't have the proper G4 one but the other aftermarket style which is closed at the bottom, since there's no winch. Part number LR005237. Apologies, my bad. I think this one may have a space/possibility to cut and mount the sensors into the A bar.... but I have a GAP IID tool so if thats the easiest option I could just switch off those centre sensors and leave them in the bumper.

It's difficult as my car is in Edinburgh and I live in Norway. It won't be brought over until spring when I hope to have everything completed. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for family members who will be doing bits for me and I don't want to inconvenience them too much. Father retired mechanic, uncle auto electrician, other uncles all in the motor trade.... I'm the least handy of them all..... but I guess I'm good at asking questions and relaying answers.....

Heading back to Edinburgh this weekend to see the car for the first time and arrange details of the bits being done. Bought in November....

Really thanks for your time, it's very much appreciated!

* Edit: I can see now my post is framed like I have an original G4 but I have an HSE. Now, in hindsight, with all the money I'm spending I would have been better just buying a G4 as an appreciating classic....

Last edited by G15MTS on 23rd Jan 2020 5:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #211506523rd Jan 2020 11:35 am
CongoBoy

I'm not sure (but would be interested to find out) if you can just disable two of the sensors in the front bumper. I think that its all or nothing. As I didnt do mine, I'm not a 100%.
Otherwise you could just physical disconnect the inner sensors but, again, not sure if disconnecting one sensor would stop the others from working?

I agree with Farmer Chalk, if you can't source the top brackets or theyre expensive, I'd just get them made up!

Post #211506923rd Jan 2020 11:55 am
Ken

They offer as much protection as a chocolate fire guard Black Tak over the PDC works a treat

Post #211507923rd Jan 2020 12:45 pm
G15MTS

Really nice cars Ken. I PM’d you as that’s basically the look I’m going for.

I’ll have a play with the GAP IID tool and see, worth a look but I think you are right it’ll probably be all or nothing.

The parts from the fitting kit aren’t sold separately, the whole kit is about £100. I wouldn’t buy it just for the brackets, I’m getting some with the bar and the other ones seem easy to make up. It was more the holder for the parking sensor, I wondered if there was anything that would work as opposed to the full fitting kit which has them included. I’ll look this weekend but I guess I’ll take one of two options: Switch off the sensors and leave them where they are which will be behind the A bar or buy a universal parking holder bezel and ’make it fit’ the A bar....

Post #211515823rd Jan 2020 5:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >