DISCO3.CO.UK > General

What a fun weekend I just had.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
What a fun weekend I just had.

Started at 3pm on Saturday, when I was due to drive down to Chilton near Didcot, for my mates 40th party, and then camp in his back garden followed by some green lanes around the area today.

Anyway, whilst I was prepping the car on Saturday (fit top box, fit portable dvd for kids) I left the ignition on too long. Turned key, got a dashboard full of errors and no start Crying or Very sad Could not find jump leads, so called LRA. 2 hours later they turned up - nice bloke in a D3, who was relieved that I had flattened the battery and it had not done it by itself - apparently there are a lot of dud batteries at the moment!

He got the car going, but told me to take it dealer for full recharge as the battery needs a pulse charger to fully recharge. I told him that it was going to Didcot, so he said it would probably be OK, but charging on the D3 is a prolonged process. Anyway, got to 40th, got Censored , then went green laning today. Got stuck several times with a PB Screecher! needing a switch off/on to cure Crying or Very sad (kids not happy as DVD restarts also).

In case you are not aware, a PB Screecher is a problem with the park brake, which can make an EXTREMELY loud screech when applied, or soon after, followed by error message PARK BRAKE FAULT SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE (or similar) the brake will then not release until you restart.

It was supposed to have been fixed by the enhancement, but I fear it was not Crying or Very sad

I think the battery volts play a part in this, as the LRA tech spent 5 minutes playing with the PB before he let me drive away.

Post #7817313th Aug 2006 11:03 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Exactly what they told me when same thing happened.... took 2 trips for this to dealers before they swapped battery though. mine even loked ok according the the battery health indicator. Rolling Eyes ...... new battery fitted and fingers crossed its been ok since.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7817914th Aug 2006 12:12 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Interested to hear that you came down to Chilton. This is where we live. Who is your mate in the village?
Where did you go green laning?
 Matt  
Post #7818214th Aug 2006 12:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
PB Screecher

Was your parking brake being activated when your started getting the PB Screecher, or was it spontaneous?

I rarely use my PB. Only when I park on steep inclines (or declines).

Regards,

NW

Post #7819114th Aug 2006 6:28 am
SN

Re: PB Screecher

Gareth - sorry to hear you had a poor D3 weekend.

nwoods wrote:
That's me too. I've had no PB issues in 6 months.

IMHO - Park Brake is almost pointless on an Auto
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #7819914th Aug 2006 8:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: What a fun weekend I just had.

Gareth wrote:
In case you are not aware, a PB Screecher is a problem with the park brake, which can make an EXTREMELY loud screech when applied, or soon after, followed by error message PARK BRAKE FAULT SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE (or similar) the brake will then not release until you restart.

It was supposed to have been fixed by the enhancement, but I fear it was not Crying or Very sad

I think the battery volts play a part in this, as the LRA tech spent 5 minutes playing with the PB before he let me drive away.

Exactly the same problem I've got post 45K service / enhancement a week later... linked I think.

Screamed everytime I applied it yesterday... and at the garden centre a group of old ladies were frightened out of their zimmers... quite funny but a tad embarrassing as well.

She's in today to be fixed.

-s

Post #7820214th Aug 2006 8:27 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: PB Screecher

d3matt wrote:
Interested to hear that you came down to Chilton. This is where we live. Who is your mate in the village?
Where did you go green laning?

My good buddy lives on the High Street, he has an off-road prepped Range Rover Classic, and a Freelander. My D3 (with roof box) was parked on the street most of Saturday and overnight Sat. He had his party at the church hall, followed by his house until early hours. We were camping in his garden!

We did an abortive trip up the lane past the school, to find the Ridgeway now closed - so turned around. We then went to East Isley and picked up a byway which took us about 4 miles in a loop, then we hit a TRO'd section to decided to call it a day and head home. Took 3 hours to do the 4 miles though, as it was very over grown and we had a fair bit of hedge clearing to do to get through. No damage though.

nwoods wrote:
Was your parking brake being activated when your started getting the PB Screecher, or was it spontaneous?

Regards,

NW
It does it both ways. Sometimes it applies normally, then screeches after several seconds. This morning as I drove away it just gave me a yellow warning lamp and park brake fault message, even though it seemed to work OK, this cleared with a restart. Since then its been fine today.

Steve, I still enjoyed the weekend! like you say, it is not a necessary feature on an auto.

Simon, totally agree that this seems to be linked to the enhancement. My PB was alledgedly fixed with the overlay loom weeks before the enhancement program was carried out. The latest bout of PB Screamers has only occured since enhancement. I would be interested to hear what Shukers say about it, as I have not got time to get mine in before I go to Scotland next Saturday.

I think the battery could well be the issue. The fact I flattened it by accident could have brought on the latest attack. Today it has been mainly fine, the car has now done 600 miles since the battery was flat, and probably has recharged itself. It will get another 400 tomorrow, so should be OK.

Post #7833414th Aug 2006 4:43 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: What a fun weekend I just had.

moved reply too...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post78349.html#78349

Post #7834814th Aug 2006 6:30 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth, I've been away in N.Ireland since Friday so didn't see your D3 in the village. I don't know your mate either, so maybe I should get to know him. I live just off the High Street.
 Matt  
Post #7841314th Aug 2006 10:17 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well, he has not been there long, but he is a top bloke and is always up for a spot of off-roading and green laning if you need company. He knows all the lanes in your area.

Post #7841614th Aug 2006 10:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >