Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Full winter tyres or A/T?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
Pirelli Verdre All Season 255-50-20 it's an OE Land Rover tyre. Not 3PMS snowflake branded, so carry a set of chains when you go skiing, to comply with local laws, but you'll be very unlikely to need to use them.

They do a version with SF at the end. That one is winter rated.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/ca...-season-sf
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21782966th Oct 2020 1:40 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If I wasnt going off road I'd have gone for the Michelin Cross climate as they get excellent reviews.

Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #21782976th Oct 2020 1:46 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

MintyHit wrote:
I don't find AT Tyres much of a compromise.

I use Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus all year round and drive frequently to the Alpes in Winter - they are awesome in the snow.

ATs are a compromise - they're simply not as good on tarmac as a pure road tyre. Of course, most of the time we don't notice but if you push the tyre hard e.g. emergency braking, they just don't perform as well as the pure road tyre. We just need to allow for that reduction in performance.

I have run Grabber AT, AT3 and currently the Pirelli All Terrain Plus because I like to be able to get around off road on the odd occasion (not so much these days but I was out helping feed pheasants this weekend in the heavy rain and was glad of the all terrain performance then). I went with the AT3 and then the AT+ because I wanted the winter rating too. The AT3 performed very well the last time we had decent snow. I haven't had chance to try the AT+ in snow so far. Glad to hear that it performs well. Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21783006th Oct 2020 1:50 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

J@mes wrote:
If I wasnt going off road I'd have gone for the Michelin Cross climate as they get excellent reviews.

Thumbs Up

We have them on SWMBO's Octavia estate and they do seem to be an excellent tyre.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #21783016th Oct 2020 1:51 pm
sailingaway

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

LT wrote:
sailingaway wrote:
LT wrote:
The OP doesn't venture off road, so no point in compromising road noise, braking distances and fuel consumption by him fitting AT's. Thumbs Up

Cheers.

I've had comms with Trailered Movements, and think his 275/40R20 Cross Contacts may do the job - I assume I can fit them to replace the 265/50R20's with no issues? Will they go on the same rim?

The correct size tyre is 255/50/20. If you deviate from that size it’s a modification and you should inform your insurers.

I see no benefit in you fitting a non standard size tyre.

If it were me I’d buy a set of used 19” rims, but that’s a bit off topic. Thumbs Up

Thanks LT. I've bought some 255/50/20's from Trailered Movements. Will consider the 19" rims another day - running a Disco and a Defender space is at a premium, as is budget!

Post #21783206th Oct 2020 2:37 pm
sailingaway

AndyViking wrote:
I can only speak very highly of the Grabber AT3s. They come in your size - AJS at Coulsdon stock and fit. I have used them in all weathers in the UK and when skiing in France. I always carry chains but never need them - indeed my kids call me Tow Rope Man because when it snows I tend to end up pulling other 4x4s out of the ditches on their normal tyres.

Cheers Andy. Will bear them in mind next time around!

Post #21783226th Oct 2020 2:38 pm
sailingaway

DSL wrote:
If it was me I’d have winter set of wheels with full top notch winter tyres, plus a second set of wheels with summer tyres. I’m doing that for Skippy, original factory tyres now off and a set of Conti full winters on ready for full blown Heelands winter. OK, you have to swap them over every 6 months but that’s not an issue for me, I just get it done by the local garage. Thumbs Up

Also pushed the boat out and have a spare of each type. This shows the difference between the 2 types.

Click image to enlarge

Nice setup. When I've got that double garage...! Smile

Post #21783246th Oct 2020 2:38 pm
sailingaway

LT wrote:
Pirelli Verdre All Season 255-50-20 it's an OE Land Rover tyre. Not 3PMS snowflake branded, so carry a set of chains when you go skiing, to comply with local laws, but you'll be very unlikely to need to use them.

This is what I've gone for. Secondhand from Trailered Movements, but sounds like a decent all rounder.

Post #21783256th Oct 2020 2:39 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

sailingaway wrote:
DSL wrote:
If it was me I’d have winter set of wheels with full top notch winter tyres, plus a second set of wheels with summer tyres. I’m doing that for Skippy, original factory tyres now off and a set of Conti full winters on ready for full blown Heelands winter. OK, you have to swap them over every 6 months but that’s not an issue for me, I just get it done by the local garage. Thumbs Up

Also pushed the boat out and have a spare of each type. This shows the difference between the 2 types.

Click image to enlarge

Nice setup. When I've got that double garage...! Smile

Would also love a double garage. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Luckily an alcove acts as tyre store. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #21783266th Oct 2020 2:45 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have been converted to Nokian Weatherproof tyres, excellent performance in snow ice and also do pretty well in muddy conditions. I have not had much experience of very muddy conditions with them myself ( though a couple of incidents they performed well in thick mud, though shortish distances) but know someone who followed my advice and pulled a 1800kg trailer using a Yeti 4x4, 400 meters through a recently ploughed and very wet field, as someone had blocked the track he normally used. Trouble was front of trailer was absolutley covered in brown stuff.

Just ordered another set for Tiguan, they come with 12mm tread and wear very well, 26k on volvo and down to about 8mm. They are quiet running and the sidewalls are very robust. They are listed as an all season tyre but come with M+S and 3 mountain symbol.

I have over the years had most AT tyres made and these have given the best all round performance of all and very reasonably priced compared to other so called premium makes.

Down side is you have to order on line then have then fit locally.

Best prices on Nokians at present are with Tyreleader and Roundtrip tyres, who have just used for latest order. Actually paying £70 less for same sized tyres than 2 years ago.
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #21784326th Oct 2020 9:37 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Nokian Weatherproof might fit the Tiguan but I don't think they do one that is suitable for the Disco.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #21784456th Oct 2020 10:18 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

In that case try link below which is a very similar tread pattern but down as a winter tyre, remeber now was torn between the two when first ordering but the weathrproof were a cheaper option, so went for them.

Nokian WR SUV 4 255/55 R19 111 V XL

Read more: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre/nokian-wr-su...#317372794

also in WR SUV 4
255/50 R20 109 V XL and the 55 profile for 20 inches
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #21785647th Oct 2020 3:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >