Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fuel tank rust protection (not Disco)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
FidoNick

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Fuel tank rust protection (not Disco)

Seeking advice and comments from the great minds on this forum. If the question goes against forum rules 'coz it's not specific to Dsco 3/4, then I'll understandably be ostracised....

My son is the proud owner of an "almost classic" Toyota Supra, which is undergoing a rolling restoration. Or it'll be rolling as soon as it gets its MOT done. Next step is the replacement of the fuel tank with one slightly newer, and not leaking like sieve.

What are people's recommendations for exterior rust prevention on a fuel tank? He'd like to get it protected before fitting. There's some surface rust, but generally in good condition. He has tried searching Supra forums, but they only talk about the interior, not the exterior of the tank. Is Lanoguard the way to go? Dinitrol? Hammerite rust converter, primer and paint? Other magic such as Waxoyl? Bow down

Ooh! I've just read there's another product called Fertan. Somethign else to make a decision on! Big Cry

Post #237388523rd Jul 2024 9:52 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My suggestion would be that the first consideration for you son regarding the fuel tank is not the condition of it's exterior, but rather it's interior. It is from here that the fuel system can become contaminated by metal tank corrosion causing no end of fuelling problems.

If the tank is galvanised and without corrosion then you should have no worries internally. However, if it is galvanised make sure never to use any type of fuel additives. These can attack the galvanic coating which then dissolves clogging the inside of your fuel pump, contaminating the fuel filter or possibly further up the fuel system! If you decide it needs internal recoating then do it now whilst ambient temps are at their highest. The reason for this is that these internal tank corrosion products flow, mix and harden much better in warm temps than in winter months. I haven't used them for some years now but I'm very wary having had mixed results!

The possibility of external leaks is another matter, and for that I would advise against Fertan in favour of Convertoxido. I have tried just about every rust converter since at least the mid 1980's, and all have failed with varying but unacceptable lifespans. Convertixido has been the most effective for me so far, and most importantly does not leave a powdery residue but a hard film, which is easily overcoated with any primer or finish coat. I have not been using it long enough to give you a long term opinion, but initial product performance and decades of personal experience so far is telling me this product is good.

Just my tuppence worth. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237388824th Jul 2024 1:46 am
FidoNick

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Thank you! I have not heard of Convertoxide, so will certainly take a look.

Post #237395024th Jul 2024 11:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >