DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Fuel Gage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
S09am

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 4
Fuel Gage

Morning,

We purchased our first Discovery 4 last month and I have a few issues the one that is causing the most confusion is the fuel gage?

So we picked up the car from the garage and it was near empty so filled up the tank and it registered 420 miles to empty. Since then we have not let the tank get below 3/4 full and fill it back up but it registers as 330 miles to empty when full?

Noticed a strong smell of exhaust fumes when sat in traffic, an error came up DPF Full took for a run for 20 mins on the motorway and it cleared a lot of smoke and error code and warning light went, but notice there is a strong smell still of exhaust fume's.

Post #22863904th Apr 2022 8:06 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Pretty sure the distance to empty is based on the average mileage (mpg) you are getting right now.

If you went on a long run and got good mpg then the distance to empty will be more like the 420 (I often see 450 when I behave on a long run). The mpg will show something like 30 mpg driving at 70 mph.

If however you do a lot of town work or drive with a hard right foot, your mpg will drop (sorry, plummet Confused ) and when you next fill-up the new calculation will drop to say the 330 figure (although even I have never seen a figure that low to be fair).

Fill up after a decent long run having driven 'nicely' and see what the new figure is? Like I said above, I am pretty sure the figure will 'improve'.

Oh and the other thing, you own a Disco 4, they are thirsty beasts Rolling Eyes
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #22863914th Apr 2022 8:28 am
S09am

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for coming back to me that is a great help will give that a go and see how I get on.

Despite that issue already converted couldn't imagine owning something else.

Do you know what the full mileage range is on a full tank?

Thanks again

Post #22863934th Apr 2022 8:50 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Like I said above, I regularly see around 450 to 480 predicted.

You are unlikely to get above 500 unless you drive motorways at 50 or 60 mph.

Around town only it is more likely 350 to 380 miles.

I am sure others will see different to me - it is all down to driving style (as with any vehicle).

Good luck Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #22864024th Apr 2022 9:45 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome S09am.

Over 34,739 miles my D4 has used 1450.18 gallons of diesel = 24.0 MPG.

This is certainly accurate & I think you can take this as reasonably typical.

I don't believe that it's good practice to run the vehicle to as close to empty as you can get. Under normal circumstances I aim to refill whne the displayed rage drops below c. 100 miles.

NJSS

Post #22864054th Apr 2022 9:51 am
Kilovolt

That's bang on what I see then Thumbs Up

85 litres = 19 gallons (no decimal point added).

19 gallons times 24 (NJSS's figure below) = 456 miles.

Which is what I said I see above (thus confirming the average mpg on the dash can reliably called a liar-meter) :thumbs-up:

Good job diesel is not expensive Shocked

Post #22864134th Apr 2022 10:19 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >