Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Fuel consumption/tuning in SA
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Fuel consumption/tuning in SA

[Guys, out of respect for Elton/Turbochip SA, even though I don't know them, but the feedback I have read makes it obvious this team does quality work, I decided to post this response to RichardSA in a different topic, so as not to hijack the TC thread. I don't want to start a mass-debate Embarassed about tuning like we have seen elsewhere in the forum.]

Richard that economy is astounding! Thumbs Up
How did you manage to keep the foot of the throttle for that length of time? Laughing

Sounds like Elton and TCSA are doing quality work Thumbs Up

I can't wait to get my vehicle done (obviously gonna be TT, seeing as I am the new SA dealer) and see what results I get. I am more interested in the towing performance, but economy would hopefully be a by-product as well (if I can keep the ego in check Twisted Evil )

At the moment, our vehicle is used to ferry the kids around, and for my wife's daily business driving, so doesn't really see the highway much. We have the roofrack on permanently, seems like every time I remove it I end up needing it the next weekend. Plus for the last 3 weeks we have been driving on the STT's, 'cos I wanted to wait and get the spare wheels I ordered from NickTDV6 and fit the road tyres on them instead of swapping tyres again..
Our fuel consumption is 14.3l on the display, and doesn't seem to vary Sad

OK, the STT's make the distance covered seem less by about 5%, so we could really say that we are getting 14.3l/105km (or 13.6l/100km) but this is still kak, to be honest. I am sure the rolling resistance of the STT's is also quite substantial compared to the road tyres, so this may also be a big factor in reducing economy.
I haven't really got any figures to back it up, but I remember the roofrack adding about 1l/100km - (does anyone have the same or similar experience?) so I guess we should see about 12-12.5 if we took all the offroad stuff off.

Apparently the difference after tuning in a 2006 model is even more pronounced, because we don't have any of the refinements of the '07 models either - like less turbolag etc. I also think the '07's are more fuel efficient. It could come down to driving style, but my Swaer gets about 11km/l with similar routes.

I get my TT kit next week hopefully! Will let you know how I get on with it.

Post #15902819th May 2007 3:31 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I think driving style plays a big part. I have an old range rover with a chevy 350 (5.7 l) engine in it . I smile if I get 25 l/100 , and it takes a conscious effort on my part to get it there . A friend used it for a few months after his car was stolen and he was regularly getting down to about 18l/100 . Obviously the differance is more pronounced in an engine like this , but he also drove the D3 and the same applied , but with just smaller differances. What was interesting is the he doesn't drive any slower than me , he just seems to drive smoother .

In my defence I love the sound the chevy makes when you put your foot down Razz

Post #15903819th May 2007 5:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
corne

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My experience with a TDV6 S:
Standard tyres: 10.6 l/100km
M/T 265/70 17": 11.6 l/100 km daily driving (mixed daily cycle from Betys Bay to Stellenbosch including open road and congested traffic). In fast cruising and loaded 130 km/h with the larger tyres, it can be as high as 13 l/100 km.

Post #15952920th May 2007 9:52 pm
Richard SA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Baben its not taking your foot off, the trick is to do what ever you do slowly, and hell it does not mean driving “Miss Daizy”

I got my ticket doing 147km/h in the 100km section so what I save on fuel I give to the Censored

All you do is when you reach the speed you want to go start lifting your foot off. You will see that you can lift your foot a bit before you start loosing speed, once you start loosing speed give a "little" Smile more and you will maintain speed. Down the hill much the same tap off on the throttle till you stop accelerating don’t tap off completely. When you get to an uphill just before say 200m give a little more throttle depending on the gradient and keep it there, "she" will start accelerating and as you start going up, you quickly will get the feel of how much you need. As you go up the hill "she" will start loosing speed but settles close to the speed that you where doing before you started accelerating. Mr. Green

Before I get a million questions why my D3 is a "she" its simple or she loves you and gives you endless joy Razz or she is a real super B Censored and gives you Censored at a rate you would not have believed is possible Rolling with laughter
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #1637894th Jun 2007 2:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

I thought cars were called "she " because anything withs boobs or wheels will give you trouble Twisted Evil

Post #1641495th Jun 2007 8:23 am
Aubrey

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Baben

I run Goodyear MT's which makes your STT's look like slicks ...... I have the Turbochip and in town, I average 10.7l/100k ....open road ..... very dependant on my driving style but range anywheer from 10.2l/100km to 13.2l/100km .......

There is only one chip .....it's called Turbochip 8)

Cheers

Aubrey

Post #1645426th Jun 2007 7:10 am
heine

Yay Aubrey's back Mr. Green

Post #1646306th Jun 2007 12:20 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Aubrey I would love to see those mean MT tyres if they make STT's look like slicks! Rolling with laughter
Join us for tea one friday at the Baron

Post #16792818th Jun 2007 6:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >