Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

fuel burning heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jez33m

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
fuel burning heater

hi everyone. can any one tell me if the fuel burning heater can be set up to warm the interior of the car,without acctually having the engine on.
many thanks jez Bow down

Post #13282924th Feb 2007 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Unfortunately not.

Its fully automatic and is there for the engine more than the driver Wink

Post #13283424th Feb 2007 11:25 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Old hot potato this one! short answer is no way, unless you go direct to webasto and pay for a system. Some of our northern friends may help with that.

For the full story do a search on this site for FBH and sit down for a long read.

Post #13283724th Feb 2007 11:28 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This is a topic that has bugged me greatly; so I decided to head down the path of resolving it.

The 'net has pretty much Censored all information on the Webasto Thermotop V when it comes to LandRovers, so I switched to searching for info on Thermotop V heaters in other brands. Most of the DIY fit details seem to be created by Audi/VW owers...and mostly their posts on the subject are in German. I am shamed to confess that I was utterly unable to learn this or any other language at school, so I had to rely on Babelfish translations and therefore find multiple references on the subject to ensure I had 'two out of three' good pieces of information.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, last weekend I successfully manually fired my FBH for around 10 minutes, hot water, smoke, the pulse-jet engine sound and a smirk merging with my permagrin...

Parts costs so far - less than £50.

I am still in the process of writing up what I did to share with all you guys, and I have yet to permanently fit the parts. As I'm two weeks into being a Dad again, you may have to wait a few weeks more for me to get enough free time to complete the documents; sorry!

In essence though, I purchased a Webasto 1533 oval timer off eBay and connected it direct to the FBH to control it. Many thanks to TFC for putting up with my barrage of questions about how LandRovers work; I couldn't have done this without him as I would almost certainly fried something. TFC, you're a star.

NOTE : My modification DOES NOT replace all the fine work that a genuine Webasto upgrade will bring; I believe the Webasto option adds extra components to allow the internal fans to circulate the warm air - my mod only pre-warms the engine. You really do get what you pay for! This however makes up 90% of my needs anyway as I'll be starting a warm engine with warm lubricating oil creating less engine wear and I will immediately be able to put the heaters on when I get in.
Long-term next step for me is to try and modify an Audi/VM Telestart remote to also fire up the FBH remotely - after that I may investigate whether there's a cunning way I can power the blower fan without knackering the fine LR systems involved - this looks complex and may need a play around with programmable controller chips to do the job.

So, it can be done (at least in part and in fairness perhaps only because I have a 2007MY?), but please bear with me whilst I prepare a decent document of my experiment.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #13289824th Feb 2007 8:04 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Have to say, of all the 'final solutions' presented thus far, Stapldm has the most cost effective and functional solution so far, OK, it's not 'perfect' as it *only* pre-heats the engine coolant - but - given time, a full-blown FBH implementation should be possible
Bow down Bow down to you mate, for your dedication and time in resolving what is probably the most frustrating and talked about 'nearly there' bit of the Discovery 3 Wink

Post #13291224th Feb 2007 9:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >