DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Front parking sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
shabba

United Kingdom 
Front parking sensor

Hi,

Just picked up my brand new Disco 2014 HSE and noticed that the front parking sensors don't come on automatically. So when i drive up to the garage door nothing happens on the display. If I manually press the parking sensor button the sensor comes on and starts flashing and beeping. Is this right? I thought it was automatic as soon as you were within a foot of an object.

Thanks
Iain

Post #12651635th Apr 2014 8:46 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

Front come on with the D3 when you engage reverse or manually press the button.....so may be same for D4 Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #12651775th Apr 2014 9:22 pm
Adigorn

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Quote:
I thought it was automatic as soon as you were within a foot of an object.

would you really want them beep ALL the time in traffic

Whistle

Post #12652125th Apr 2014 10:16 pm
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As Iguana said... same for the D4.

Post #12653216th Apr 2014 9:23 am
shabba

United Kingdom 

ok thanks. It does state in the instruction manual that when you're going less than 6mph and close to an object the front sensor automatically comes on.

Post #12654956th Apr 2014 5:02 pm
Daveg

Russia 

Somehow it does not really work for mine (the automatic mode with low speed)

Post #127015815th Apr 2014 11:30 am
MGDisco

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Hi there, I too have the new 2014 Discovery, in XS spec (after being in the wilderness these past 6 years with a Honda hybrid, then back to Land Rover with a Freebie 2).

Since the inclusion of stop-start tech, when stopped at traffic lights, to keep the ECO mode on, you either keep the foot brake pressed with D engaged OR you can put on h/brake, and engage neutral - so you can stop blinding folks behind you.

But if you do this, the parking sensors come on! And bleep away, both front/back/front/back, 'cause your in a queue! As the h/brake is on, I would have thought the sensors would not be active. Unless the override is the fact that you have slowed down to under 6mph - but they don't come on in you stay in D, as you have found out Iain when pulling up to your garage door.

Iain, since you have the same vehicle could you try out, going inot neutral with h/brake on from D? If your Disco (what are we call it now that is hasn't got a number, just the name...) does the same thing, then fine, if doesn't then a call into dealer to see why. The only solution is to be ready to press the parking sensor button on dash, or not go into D and just keep blinding away merrily those in the queue behind us....

Maybe there is a specific logic to stop this - i.e. make sure the h/brake is fully on first, then come out D into neutral, I haven't really looked at applying this logic to it. The handbook makes no reference to what should happen in neutral. Although Jaguar XF handbook does (found that out last night on quick search for 'Parking sensor in neutral'), which states they are on in neutral - bizarre logic! Unless they expect people to go into neutral, take foot of brake and then go AAgh! Brake slam! when the sensors go mental as you have not noticed you rolling forward/back into car/van/obstacle 'cause you didn't put on h/brake.

Post #127661329th Apr 2014 8:42 am
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It sounds normal. Parking sensors come on if you engage N after D. You can always disable it from the fascia switch.

Post #127688929th Apr 2014 5:45 pm
MGDisco

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Thanks for stating this as what happens but you would think that with stop-start revision to the vehicles software, that the sensor logic should have been included as part of it. For instance, if you don't flick the h/brake on, and go into neutral, then up fires the engine. H/brake on, engine stays off. So why do sensors activate in this instance - you are not going anywhere with h/brake on?

Freebie 2 from recall didn't activate sensor noise unless you had been in reverse, so D to N was silent when sitting at traffic lights. Just as the other cars with front parking sensors/auto box/stop-start tech combination haven't either (and I don't recall the D3 doing this from way back with its front sensors).

Anyways, as you say, shutting them of with button solves it. Just annoying getting a double front/back beep before you get the chance to hit it what with three actions needed, and it interrupting radio, so can miss some of the talky bits!

Post #127716129th Apr 2014 10:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >