Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

front end suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
harrythespider

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
front end suspension

Thanks to all members that posted 'how to's' on the forum. have just completed replacement of both sides front lower balljoints and bushes. Ball joints were relatively easy after having turned a suitable sized drift. the bushes were removed by 'drilling out' the rubber in the bush, cutting through the bush metal outer housing with a reciprocating saw and collapsing the outer bush tube. insertion of new bush easy with home made press.

the most difficult process was the removal of the front hubs. no ammount of bashing the drive shaft would have an effect. I made a flange with a centre 30mm dia threaded boss that located over the wheel studs. and by winding the 30mm bolt against the drive shaft eventually seperation was achieved. ( still required a 4 foot lever)
(I must buy that hydraulic puller off fleabay!!) Cleaning both male and female splines ensured reassembly was a doddle. Copperlubed everything including bush bolts so that if ever need to replace again should be so much easier.

Most painful part was paying local stealer for 4 wheel reallignment.

In reality, if they need replacing again I would probably buy the lower arms complete as the difference in the cost of buying bushes and ball joints against brand new arms is only approx £50 a side

Post #68579824th Aug 2010 10:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >