Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Front Brake Pads - changing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>
beau007

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Brake Pads

Hi all! The Brake Pad warning light has come on, on my Disco 3 57 plate. Can I just replace the front pads or is it advisable to change the rear pads also? Question
I have seen mentioned a number of times about the sensors, should these be replaced as well? Confused

Finally can anyone point me to the best place to get the parts needed, on a very tight budget but don't want to put rubbish on.

Thanks all

Post #65177321st May 2010 6:26 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You'll need a new sensor too as the warning only comes on when one of the sensors has worn through.

Two options, Nick (AKA The Large One) is Yeovil Landrovers Parts Guru and will do you a great price if you say your from here.
4-Tech will supply Non OEM parts, but they are fine too, so your call really.

I have 4-tech's Disks with LR pads and working perfectly well.

Check the pads all round, but always handy to have a full set so you can do them when you want/need to.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #65177621st May 2010 6:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
beau007

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cheers Bodsy Thumbs Up . At what point should I change the discs? There seems to be a lot of comments about how much guys are paying for discs as well, is it common for the discs to be changed so quickly, my mileage is about 25k.

Post #65178621st May 2010 6:47 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

at 25k I changed my first set of pads

I changed my disks all round at about 53k.

It does very much depend on how heavy footed you are and if you've let the pads wear down to the metal.

If your warning has only just come on, then pads may be all that are required, but you'll really only know by looking at them.

Front Disks are 30mm and should be changed when they get to 27mm Rear disks are 20mm and should be chenged when they get to 17mm. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #65179321st May 2010 6:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ODP38

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Bodsy just read through LR Owner international mag on banish D3 Hand Brake Squeal. I'm a bit confused as to the torque wrench settings for the job. thought about getting the drilled and grooved discs with pads as i pull the tintent a bit. They work out about £115 per axel set, are thet worth it or stick with LR stuff. Can't work out the torque settings though, lots of different settings as you research?

Post #65187821st May 2010 11:26 pm
beesle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

hi guys,

my brake warning light is on for my front pads. im going to do them myself.

can anyone tell me where the cheapest olace is to buy a set of new pads and also do i need to change the sensor wires? if so where do i get them also, thanx

Post #67058711th Jul 2010 1:39 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Bodsy wrote:
You'll need a new sensor too as the warning only comes on when one of the sensors has worn through.

Two options, Nick (AKA The Large One) is Yeovil Landrovers Parts Guru and will do you a great price if you say your from here.
4-Tech will supply Non OEM parts, but they are fine too, so your call really.

I have 4-tech's Disks with LR pads and working perfectly well.

Check the pads all round, but always handy to have a full set so you can do them when you want/need to.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #67065411th Jul 2010 6:31 pm
lurk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
replaced Front Disks with TERRAFIRMA & Green Stuff Pads

I am new to the forum so forgive if I drop a cod. Very Happy

Following main stealer comments on service schedule that front disks and pads 90% worn out Sad - I was alarmed given my old lady driving habits and never having towed. Quoted £355 for replacement Confused . I looked on this site to see what the options are...

Bodsy Brake Bibble - absolute wonder Bow down ! Thanks to that I had a go ! - last time I worked on my own car it was a mk2 fiesta.....in 1985.. Thumbs Up anyway got the bits from an add on Ebay - all arrived. Completed the job on the road side infront of my house in 3 hours including sensor (yes it is a pain and no I wasn't going to but it broke when I pulled it out ? Evil or Very Mad

Comments on the job - my torque drive is older than most (little used mind) and doesn't give Nm but lbs/ft - it would be helpfull if these were added to the texts mentioned above. A ring spanner will suffice to undo the calliper support bracket bolts - which are very tight at 270 NM A standard hex drive socket doesn't fit at all so don't even try Big Cry
Took the D3 up and down a few big hills to check out my work and 'bed in the brake pads - HD mode for 2 miles down a 1:3 - they were quite warm and the disks were shiny ! A little squeek still though - will keep an ear on this over next few miles.

As an afterthought, I measured the old disks - they are at 28.3 mm well over the 27mm min I read about and the pads are all +12mm so me thinks the main dealer was trying it on big style. So perhaps a short note on measuring the disks and pads before starting the replacement process... I could have got at least another 12 months out of my set up. So I am leaving the rear pads and discs - allegedly down to 80% worn - I will measure them later in the week myself.

It will be interesting to see if the groved and perforated disks and green stuff pads wear better than the originals

Cheers all

Lurk Thumbs Up

Post #67142913th Jul 2010 2:49 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Thanks for the Feedback Lurk Thumbs Up

lbs/ft measurement will be updated Thumbs Up
Re: the front Caliper support bolts, personaly I'd never attempt to undo them with a ring spanner at that pressure.

Wear the brake pads GENTLY!!!!! HDC does not bed them in gently Shocked

When you measure the pads, you should measure the pad material thickness rather than the hole pad inc metal backing Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #67144913th Jul 2010 3:30 pm
lurk

You'r quite right, ring spanner does cause problems - once I got the socket sorted from my local supplier it went much easier - but the first side was done with the spanner. HDC - good point well made - I had done about 35 miles of 30miles and breaking every few minutes when I reached about 40 mph to slow to 30mph.

Wished I had asked before hand now !

I will check the pads again and measure just the face depth - without backing metal - however the metal is corroded and it isn't too clear to get a true original face given the dreaded rust flakes.

Thanks Bodsy for the tie you put into the bibble.

regards
Lurk
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #67146713th Jul 2010 4:05 pm
ODP38

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Lurk can you post a link to the supplier you got yours from please. Thumbs Up

cheers

Mark

Post #67150713th Jul 2010 5:15 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Lurk,

Would this help?

Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #67151513th Jul 2010 5:32 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

ODP38, here's a set...
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...-socket-se
Although I bought it on it's own from my local tool supplier. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #67151813th Jul 2010 5:36 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

ODP, these guys are near you, chester/warrington

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/order?KEN5827030...30K;popup= Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #67152513th Jul 2010 5:51 pm
lurk

Bodsy - Great picture of how to check pad thicknss Thumbs Up , if you could add the disk minimum dimension that would also help - front and back dimensions are also relevant I guess for disks.

ODP38 - I got my pads and disks from Stephen at Ribble Valley 4x4 - started with ebay then rang to discuss pad options. try:- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...1006wt_911

Tel - 07961 424922 and ask for Stephen

My pads, two disks and sensor and vibration spring things and brake cleaner can plus P&P came to £154 - not sure this is much better than other gear - the disks look similar to 'Mytec' Question aftermarket samples I found on the net - maybe they are less expensive. RV4x4 also sell the Ferodo OE pads. Which is what i will probably fit to the back end with upgraded disks as and when. Unless this is not a good idea to mix disk and brake type front to back (I guess side to side would be bad move !) Rolling with laughter Any thoughts ??

Regards

Lurk
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #67154613th Jul 2010 6:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >