DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Ford Power Stroke Diesel Engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Keefaaa

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Ford Power Stroke Diesel Engine

Hi all

I recently had a trip to my local indy where I was reminded that it is likely my engine will go during ownership, now I know there is some risk and I am committed to my vehicle come what may.

It got me thinking about planning for an engine failure regardless if I will ever need it or not. So I looked for an engine builder that might mod the sdv6 to improve the typical areas of failure this seems to be cranks and main bearings. I cant find anyone without making calls every which where.

I did however find the Ford Power Stroke Diesel Engine. The 3.0l is based on the Lion diesel and has a couple of interesting mods by Ford - forged crank, new bearings and better lubrication. Interesting. See here https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=145

It seems this is essentially what needed to be done to the Lion engine to make it reliable in the F-150 a really popular truck. So this got me thinking, how far away is the engineering on this engine to the sdv6? I have no idea.
Could it be made to fit a D4 easily?
Could the internals be fitted into a rebuild engine??

Post #21597988th Jul 2020 10:12 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting article, but it seems the jury is still out on whether this engine will have overcome its legacy issues.

If it does succeed where it's predecessors failed, it might well offer an "olive branch" for future owners as a great many of these vehicles will otherwise meet an early demise, as indeed many have already done.
The FI system is likely to have differences as will ECU's & other ancillaries, but that might not matter if the castings hold the same framework to take D4 fittings.
To be honest though, with Diesel now very much on the slippery slope to oblivion, and future tax implications lurking in the long grass. I think I'd opt for a petrol alternative or better still, an EV conversion when the tech can deliver decent range and performance at an acceptable cost.

Only time will tell!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #21598319th Jul 2020 12:24 am
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As the engines are line bored there is little chance of converting to the tabbed bearings used on the Ford 150 engine and I was told there were bellhousing, sump and oil feed issues with the block being used in a D4 (I used to do work with Ford Engine Development Technical Department in the UK) However it could be that the Crank is an exchange for the 3 litre SDV6 crank like the one used in the Australian Ford Territory can be swapped for the TDV6.

They dont seem to fetch much money as a salvage title car in the US so it could be a cheap route if it fits
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #21598369th Jul 2020 1:11 am
garrycol

Australia 

The Ford Territory 2.7 engine is the same engine as in the early D4s so all the base engine components can be swapped but better to swap the whole engine. The 3.0 Ford Powerstroke engine has as a minimum a different crankshaft so swaps may not be possible with other LR 3.0 engines.

Post #21598389th Jul 2020 1:57 am
stabphil

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Just out of curiosity,

Can anybody confirm the Powerstroke forged crank is dimensionally the same as the crank in the 306DT.

Also, would the oil pump be a direct swap over onto the disco block?

I am about to rebuild mine as it has started rattling and a forged crank and more reliable pump seems like a good upgrade in terms of reliability.

Has anybody tried this?

Cheers!

Post #21656364th Aug 2020 1:20 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome!
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21656934th Aug 2020 6:02 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Ford Power Stroke Diesel Engine

Keefaaa wrote:
Hi all

I recently had a trip to my local indy where I was reminded that it is likely my engine will go during ownership, now I know there is some risk and I am committed to my vehicle come what may.

It got me thinking about planning for an engine failure regardless if I will ever need it or not. So I looked for an engine builder that might mod the sdv6 to improve the typical areas of failure this seems to be cranks and main bearings. I cant find anyone without making calls every which where.

I did however find the Ford Power Stroke Diesel Engine. The 3.0l is based on the Lion diesel and has a couple of interesting mods by Ford - forged crank, new bearings and better lubrication. Interesting. See here https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=145

It seems this is essentially what needed to be done to the Lion engine to make it reliable in the F-150 a really popular truck. So this got me thinking, how far away is the engineering on this engine to the sdv6? I have no idea.
Could it be made to fit a D4 easily?
Could the internals be fitted into a rebuild engine??

I'd suggest finding a more friendly and optimistic indy. Yours sounds the sort that breathes in through his teeth whenever you tell him something's wrong and it will cost you a fortune. For all the people who've had a failed engine, there are literally hundreds of thousands of very happy customers who carry on with their Discos as normal.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #21657234th Aug 2020 7:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >