Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

FLAT TYRES or DODGY HANDBRAKE?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
chumble spuz

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
FLAT TYRES or DODGY HANDBRAKE?

I was traveliing down the A30 in Cornwall last Wednesday when I felt a suddering through the steering. Immediately suspecting a flat I pulled over onto a (fortuitously) convenient sliproad. I got out to find the offending tyre and after seeing four fully inflated tyres I smelt, worryingly, a veeery strong burning smell Sad , (Just what I needed after a night shift!). I called LR Assist and they had a truck to me in 1/2 an hour and to Roger Young an hour later, supplied with a Disco3 hire car all less then 2 1/2 hours after stopping. happy with that Very Happy .

Turns out the problem was the handbrake had failed, locking the rear calipers. rather disconcerting at "70" MPH on a busy duel carriageway. I wondered if this has happened to anyone else (a search hasn't revealed any other cases I could find) After a year and 18000 miles trouble free it seemed quite a worrying thing to happen.

Digressing a little, when I called Roger Young on the following day to get a progress report the lady I spoke to scared the c**p out of me by saying "Ah yes, yours is the D3 with the misfuel problem" I paniced (I had refueled only 20 miles b4 the brakes packed in) and stared bouncing off the walls, only to be reassured (after 2 hours) that it was a mistake and she had the wrong information in front of her!

Anyway, long story short (or is it too late?) all rear brakes replaced (warrenty job) and a thorough valet job later I am now trundling around in my Disco (now clean) once more.

Post #14029918th Mar 2007 3:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >