Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Flat Battery Help - Now Sorted With New Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I don't think that the interior lights do turn off after a short while if the boot is open, at least mine don't, well depends on what you call a short time, certainly they don't turn off within an hour. What is likely to be more of a drain is that mine seems to be more 'awake' if I leave a door or boot open (sometimes the screen comes on with the LR logo and stays on for ages if a door is open).

So a bit like the op I sometimes leave boot open with the dog in when working near the car and then go back and open a door to get something out, car fully wakes up again for 5 mins or so. Back later to get the dog's lead and dog out so door opens again and car wakes up again and so on and so forth as you go backwards and forwards.

Because the car is constantly waking up because doors keep being opened and the interior lights are on because the boot is open I suspect that you can drain the battery very quickly indeed, within a few hours probably.

Of course, as we all know too well - hence the group buy on battery chargers, once that has happened taking it for a run for half an hour round the block will do almost nothing to recharge the battery sufficiently.

My D4 does mostly short runs and is regularly parked with me in and out, boot open for hours on end and I also use remote/timed climate from time to time. I'm satisfied that the battery is in good order but I'm topping up charge weekly, its part of my Sunday afternoon car cleaning routine. If I don't, I know I will get issues very quickly.

Post #117317916th Oct 2013 5:02 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4
Problem Solved

Finally the problem is resolved. I had the car serviced yesterday and despite having to charge the battery whilst in the garage (making it obvious that there was something amiss) the problem persisted. Drove the car 30 miles and stopped for 20 minutes. Tried to start and no joy. Thankfully, a passing driver gave me a jump start so I got home.

LR Assist was called out and arrived this morning and after going through the battery checks, the little machine printed out a message: "Replace Battery". The normal output is 850 amps and the readout for mine was 538 amps which was sometimes not enough to turn the engine over.

I was impressed with the LR Assist man's efficiency and knowledge.

Bill Thumbs Up
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #11843338th Nov 2013 2:14 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

When new battery fitted and leaving tailgate open do the following.

Close all doors and single lock.

Once locked lights should go off.

Then open tailgate, lights will come back on and remain on for around 5 mins before switching off.

I can leave mine like this for 6-7 hours no problem.

If however you do not lock vechicle first the battery can be flattened very quickly indeed 1-2 hrs.

Seem to remember something about this operation in manual.

If you need to open door meantime you will have to shut tailgate again lock and then re-open tailgate or system will flatten again very quickly
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #11843378th Nov 2013 2:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >