Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 20 <123 ... 131415 ... 181920>
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Just did mine today and I have massive hands.

The job took me around 4.5hrs all in (I replaced the pipe so had to drop the headlining) and I struggled on the sunvisor, glove box hinges and reinserting the tube end into the wing. Probably only took me about 30mins putting it all back together again and I didn't have any issues with the connectors, which I was dreading.

I followed the guidance on here. The items I thought were easy were not. I couldn't find the drain tube behind the cables (I also have a big head! Rolling with laughter ), and I found re-inserting the end of the drain into the wing awkward as space was tight .

I disconnected the battery once I had dropped the glove box.

Post #173706420th Nov 2016 10:16 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Heavy rain and a big puddle again today. Seemed to start in rear passenger footwell but C pillar drain looks okay. Big Cry just checked front passenger and this is now wet again

Just checked door seals

Pollen filter is dry.

A trim?

Post #173729621st Nov 2016 1:57 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Did you change the front windows in the past?
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #173731621st Nov 2016 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Front window is not marked as Landrover but it is heated and looks OEM.

Just found that the rubber seal on the scuttle panel was not connected on the corner by the battery lid. Removed and repositioned and the water from the front window now drains down, across the wing and into the wing drain. Fingers crossed

On the plus side, and considering the rain we had today, there was considerably less water in there tonight then there was prior to replacing the sun roof drain

Post #173750021st Nov 2016 7:30 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Still have a small leak Big Cry Slightly wet by the rubber mat fixing lugs

A pillar has been done, new sunroof tube, screen and scuttle panel seem good. No water on the pollen filter

Only possible issue is the n/s wiper grommet (not LHD side position) on the cover. Doesn't look quite right.

I think I will have to lift the carpet.

Post #175144320th Dec 2016 9:16 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Fixed. Small leak into the pollen filter.

Removed scuttle and fabricated a deflector. Seem like someone at LR missed that one.

Post #17603589th Jan 2017 11:58 am
Riggs

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for all of you who have put up info on replacing the tube by removing the CJB. Definitely a bit tricky but not impossible by any stretch of the imagination.

Patience is the main skill here i think.

I replaced the whole hose instead of just the rubber grommet that goes through the fire wall.
About an hours work all up but didnt manage to the the glove box out so working around that slowed me down a bit.

Now to wait for the rain and see if there is any other leaks contributing to the water filling my foot well.

Post #180763225th Apr 2017 6:48 am
DiscoEddie

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks to all previous posts especially Graham. Yes I opened drivers door to be greeted with a torrent of water from within. Car parked downwards tilted to right. Inspection revealed an amount of water in front right corner of sunroof channel.
Decided to use Strimmer wire initially as didn't fancy removing any trim unnecessarily. Someone recommended 2.7mm but 2.4mm would have to do. Bit of a problem feeding it into the hole which is more into the corner than Graham's photo (Mine being a 2009, maybe a bit different). Eventually succeeding and managing to feed it as far as where I considered the Valve to be. Then lots of Ringling, no luck but when accompanied by some hot soapy water, Presto. The passenger side was also blocked now freed using the same method. Once again many thanks to all. Fingers crossed now that I have not dislodged any of the pipe.

Eddie
 2009 Disco-3 HSE
2011 Elddis Crusader Cyclone 

Post #181658718th May 2017 10:30 pm
Riggs

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So after replacing my front passenger tube with the stuffed wheel arch grommet that caused buckets of water to poor back into the car and eliminating that huge issue i was left with the following:

I park my car with the back of the car downhill. As i pulled out of the drive way one morning, which makes the car tilt forward slightly, i had the few drips come from the front centre light console.

I knew i had fixed the hose at the front so was surprised at this but having read a previous post somewhere that if you poor lots of water into the sunroof channels the drain holes wont cope with it and it will overflow into the car/hood lining. So my guess was that if my rear tube was blocked it would mean that excess water sitting in the sunroof channels would rush forward in the morning and overwhelm the front drain tube causing the water to spill over into the hood lining.

Today i checked the carpet in the back and sure enough behind the middle row of seats it was saturated. So having poured some water into the sunroof channel while facing uphill i can see that indeed the rear drain tube is doing SFA and so off to get the trimmer wire tomorrow to hopefully clear the rear and hence head into winter for a slow carpet drying process. There is better things i could be doing with my life but for some reason i enjoy owning a car that gives me the odd problem solving challenge to keep me on my toes.

Hope this helps with someone else's H20 issues...

A final update. After trying the trimmer wire down the rear tubes i had no luck, water still pooled in the sunroof channels (while facing up hill).
Took the rear seats out as i needed to get the carpet dry back there so wanted to lift it up. While i was there i took the side trims off the C Pillar where the side seatbelt mounts are so i could look at the exit end of the drain tube. Much easier to do the trimmer wire from this end so did that, then checked by blowing back up the tube and no obstruction (just bubbles in the sunroof channels). However if you suck it all came pouring out.
Thanks to member LEE157 on another thread i knew that after the rear tube exits the sunroof it then rises up about 40mm. I didnt need to start a new thread to find out if water can run up hill. Perhaps the LR designers would get something from reading about this principle though as this was the most retarded design i have seen!!! Censored So when parked facing up hill the water will pool at the back of the sunroof and eventually overflowing into the hood lining and down the C pillar.
I took off the three handles down the side of the hoodliner as well as the B and C pillar trims and was able to pull the hoodlining down enough to get access to the tube where its at its peak roughly above the B pillar. My solution was to get a skinny cable tie and tie it loosely to the airbag that runs along below the tube. Just one skinny one in that spot. And now i have free flowing water coming out of the rear wheel arch as it should.

There may be a serious safety side affect to having a cable tie around the airbag if it ever needed to inflate. Any expert advice on this would be appreciated. I did use a very skinny cheap one in the hope that it would just snap if the bag inflated.

Post #181725521st May 2017 7:21 am
DansDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Some interesting reading here guys and thanks for all the heads up.

I have had a leak through the LED in the centre lighting and sunroof unit but it is not regular at all. However i'll know how to deal with this when it does become more of an issue.

My leak seem to be more noticeable near the sun visor on the passenger side. I have taken off the a pillar trim, peeled back the rood and see to have located the leak. It seem to be an issue with the sealant that has almost come away from the roof and windscreen.

So, my question is, what product would you people use to seal the leak. Something I guess like bathroom/ktichen silicone sealant would be fairly good?

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Many thanks guys

Post #18234006th Jun 2017 5:31 pm
adifferentblue

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

So, after lots of help reading this thread I took the plunge and replaced my drain tubes.

I've replaced the tube having removed and replaced the CJB. The good news is that my sunroof now drains nicely, but I now have a variety of electrical gremlins.

I'm pretty sure that it's all down to the big orange connector on the top right as you look at the fuse board. The list of dodgy bits are:
Front windows
Sunroof
Door closure sensors
Central locking

From studying the wiring diagrams, it looks like all these systems share a common ground coming out of pin 25 of connector c585 in the CJB (the solid black wire). I've double checked all the connections and they look fine. I've tried lots of jiggling and making sure that the connector is properly seated, but to no avail.

Any suggestions? Anyone know where that black earth ends up?

Thanks in advance.

Post #18242008th Jun 2017 5:25 pm
adifferentblue

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ok so after much swearing and sacrificing all the skin on the back of my hand to the land rover gods, it's now working again.

I removed the CJB, cleaned all the contacts (which weren't that dirty but worth a punt) and reinstalled. I made really sure that the connectors on the back were well seated. The orange connector on the front (C585) was a lot harder to get on than the other two, so I had a really close look and I think one of the female sockets might have been a bit deformed. I gently prised back closer to the other sockets with a screwdriver, then reinstalled it.

I still can't quite get the lever to lock, but at least I have a working car again. Hope that helps.

Post #18242618th Jun 2017 7:42 pm
KLG

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Unblocking sunroof drain tube on right handside

Hi All,
After reading the posts, I removed the air intake grill and inner rubber tube. Then cut 3 mm off the end of the drain tube.
Removed sun visor, handle above drive (RHD), bottom and top trim on B post, trim from A post (note that the "Air Bag" badge is covering a hex screw. Drop headling in order to pull the drain pipe of the sunroof drain pipe.
Open window of drivers door 30mm, push drain pipe through gap and close drivers door.
Get a hose pipe and run the water slowly, hold against sunroof drain pipe and wait for pressure to build, avoid getting water in eyes! Eventually the water pressure clears the block and a torrant pours out of the air intake hole in the front wing, wait until satisfied.
Re-assemble in reverse order, check with warm water to flush any other small bits out.

Thanks to all the posts on here, for assisting me with this task.

Post #18349018th Jul 2017 5:28 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi KLG
Is that right, a 2009 registered V8 D3.

Post #18349288th Jul 2017 7:58 pm
KLG

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Charliecloud,
Yes, a V8 with LPG on an 09 plate, my car has parts like the headlamps made in 2004, the car is recorded as built in 2005 and registered in the UK as new in 2009!
The chasis number is number 00786, the local dealer told me it has American / Japanese frequency central locking, so they suspect the car was shipped out to Japan to promote the D3 range and then returned to the UK, the car has 3 registered keepers and I would like to know more about its history.

Post #18350149th Jul 2017 8:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 14 of 20 <123 ... 131415 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >