Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 20 <123 ... 121314 ... 181920>
stevep

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just my tuppence worth here to say thanks for the advice here re. sunroof drain problems- I had the dreaded sodden passenger carpet with submerged loom, but bone dry pollen filter. So I knew the fusebox had to come out. I bought the new tubes/grommets this afternoon and was really dreading the job, but to my surprise the bit that took the longest was getting the lower glove box pins out! One of the rear cjb plugs didn't want to come out for a few mins, but putting everything back once the new rubber was attached probably took 30 mins or so. Maybe I was just lucky with the rear plugs. Although once you've got the cjb out and can see them, it becomes obvious how they need to go back. I just wanted to say to anybody similarly dreading doing this, it's not that bad. Not as bad as the snapped tailgate cable I did a few months ago, anyway! For such a big car, there's a lot of very tight spaces..

I'm not sure If anyone has mentioned this, but the new pipe has a hard plastic spigot that is push-fitted to the internal bore with a barb, and the other end of the spigot then goes into into the rubber. I used a heat gun to slightly soften the old pipe to fit the spigot. I'd have preferred to replace the pipe too but I didn't fancy removing the headlining. I rodded it with a length of nylon airline from the bottom and it seemed clear. Definitely had some cack in the bottom few inches, presumably due to the old rubber being blocked.

Anyway, thanks again to those who do these write-ups Bow down

Post #16643727th Jun 2016 6:14 pm
joe27979

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just cleared mine with strimmer wire,
The hole you see in the front water channel isn't the drain hole, it's simply a passage which allows water into the side water channel and the drain hole is in far corner, can just make it out in picture.

Best Regards
Joe
2005 2.7TDV6 HSE AUTO 

Post #167539330th Jun 2016 9:37 pm
oldskoolskater

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Water dripping from the nearside SRS badge on the A pillar tonight - FFS, Here we go! Censored

Post #16772155th Jul 2016 12:20 am
oldstout

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Yip, that's the start of it Laughing

Post #16786448th Jul 2016 2:18 pm
oldskoolskater

Just been out to size the job up and devise a plan of attack. Will park it uphill for now Rolling Eyes

Post #16787968th Jul 2016 9:01 pm
kmerson

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 3
Sunroof drain

Succeeded with sunroof end and thought I had cleared the blockage using large syringe and adapter bung seal, tested afterwards and water appeared under passenger side so great I thought!

This morning after heavy rain it seems no. Dry up top so drain from tray working, so think must have blown the elbow off or something.

But I have failed at the first stage of the access to the elbow; can't get the glovebox to drop. In one of the posts squeeze the hinge and the g/box will drop. the right hand hinge with gear type does not seem to release. What am I doing wrong?

Doh! Okay brain was waterlogged - Done now.

Post #167956111th Jul 2016 2:57 pm
oldskoolskater

Can you explain how you dropped the glovebox?

I had a quick look at the weekend but think I was looking to low TBH - was looking level with the bottom of the glovebox level with the top of the carpet but couldn't see the elbow - is it directly behind the glovebox?

I thought this was it but it probably wasn't as I was looking to low methinks

Did look like a drain tube of some sort though...

Post #167973111th Jul 2016 8:56 pm
kmerson

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 3

Hi there,

This link tells you how to get the glovebox door to drop, you have to squeeze the hinges with the g/box door open and pull, i found the left hand hing okay but the right hand one was quite hard to release.

http://disco4.com/gallery/albums/userpics/...cement.pdf

What you see in front of you is the cjb a board covered in wires and fuses. That is the next job and the famous elbow is behind there on left side I imagine.

If you have not done it yet I'll try to keep track of what I did. I sincerely hope for this Disco's sake that the Elbow is the problem! Why on earth put a water drain behind the electrical panel?!

Next job is trying to get the carpets pulled back enough to get the drying cloths underneath, but it also seems difficult held by plastic panel under the g/box.

It would be great if there was a data sheet like the Pollen Filter one above for this task, as to get instructions plus images takes a lot of searching. The instructions for the actual drains in the sunroof frame are bang on!

Post #167979211th Jul 2016 10:37 pm
oldskoolskater

That would be great if you could thanks as I won't get chance to try this for a little while Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #167980211th Jul 2016 10:56 pm
oldskoolskater

Had another look today and I just can't find the blooming' elbow that goes into the bulkhead?!?

Managed to drop the glovebox and found the fusebox, is it directly behind there? Ideally I would like to be able to see if its the elbow thats the problem before stripping the car/fusebox apart!

Post #168179117th Jul 2016 4:59 pm
plocker

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi does anyone know how the drain tube gets from the A plat to the vent? My vent gromet has perished so it was draining into the car. I have the cable in the car and taken the elbow off. Put on the new elbow but my hand can't find the vent hole.

I have tried passing rods and cables through the hole but I can't get back to the cabin?
 05 V8 HSE Bonatti Grey  
Post #17018236th Sep 2016 6:46 pm
jtimkey

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

perfect just what i needed chaps

Post #17292234th Nov 2016 9:44 pm
Danish

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

As in most comments , after removing the inner wheel arch liner and most other things - removing the CJB is the only way. After removing it and many wet shoulders upside down on wet carpet i saw the usual perished rubber elbow.
I managed to do this without taking off the glove box lid. It was looking like I'd break the hinges so I decided to leave it in place. Off to get a new tube now before more rain.

Well, I'm never taking that CJB off again ! Those two plugs on the back are a pain but perseverance got there plus a few swear words and lots of skin. The cables come from above yet you have to turn the plug upside down to get it in with no slack . Why did they design it that way ?! Anyway. Job done.
 D4 HSE
D3 HSE
D2 ex police upgraded to HSE
P38 

Post #173234811th Nov 2016 1:46 pm
Rebiam

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

New owner - 05 with a wet passenger footwell. I've done the diagnostics and know it's the drain tube elbow problem but sod the £280 dealer bill to fix it. What happens if I just block the N/S drain in the sunroof? I know the drivers side is clear and doesn't leak. Will all the water just drain to that side or the rear?

Post #173548617th Nov 2016 5:26 pm
Ziba

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Any guidance on how to remove the CBJ to access the decayed passenger side exit gromit would be most welcome. I am sure it is at fault as the footwell is wet and I managed to get my phone up behind the plastic passenger side wheel lining to take the picture of where the gromit should be.

I have sorted out the other 3 drains by cutting off the ends (after following excellent guidance and pictures on the forum on how to access these) to make a bigger exit hole for the water to drain out, but removing the CBJ looks difficult, particularly with big hands.

One helpful dealership reminded me that I should wait an hour after disconnecting the battery to allow charge to dissipate as the electronics can be sensitive before disconnecting the CBJ. Is this really necessary?

Post #173671520th Nov 2016 12:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 13 of 20 <123 ... 121314 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >