Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fitting snow chains to the rear wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi randalls,
The basic philosophy with fitting chains on 2wd vehicles is to fit them to the driving wheels.

As the D3/4 is constant 4wd, the optimum is to fit them to the (front) steering wheels, as this gives you both drive and steering.

If they wont fit on the front, fitting to the rear will give you drive, but with compromised steering control.

I hope that this makes sense,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #7237121st Dec 2010 9:18 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

randalls wrote:
I ordered for my 19" but seem to have ended up with 18"....... So there seems no chance of getting them on the front
External dimensions of a 255/55 19 are identical to 255/60 18 so assuming you ordered them to fit standard D3 tyre sizes I can't see why the they won't fit both sizes and should go on the front? Confused The End  
Post #7237221st Dec 2010 9:41 am
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

randalls wrote:
Hi all, I need to re-visit this discussion, as I have been snowed in for 6 days down a 3/4 mile track, the track has been cleared by a JCB of the bulk of snow, but there is a snowy frozen layer of compacted ice underneath. This happened last year so I bought some pewag breta-c XMR81V. I ordered for my 19" but seem to have ended up with 18" (I didnt check till I needed them of course) . So there seems no chance of getting them on the front, I might get them on the rear though, with sufficient clearance, apart from the driving issues, is there any technical reason, not to use chains on the back. Basically I will be going as slow as I can up the track, which is banked on both sides, up a slight to medium incline & will take the chains off off when I get to the road.

Worth a try ? I have run out of chocolate & alcohol....... Big Cry

Hi Randall;

I have a LRD 3 with 19'' wheels on it, and i bought an 3 mm spacer at Halfords last year and they have done the trick for me providing enough clearance to fit the chains (which was purchased on eBay).

I have NOT fitted the chains on the rear wheels as per my original question/comment, as i realised later that doing this would be very dangerous.

Regards

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #7237351st Dec 2010 10:20 am
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback, I have tried the chains on the front, just too close to the upper arm, they definately will contact with it, maybe only cosmetic damage will occur but I dont want the risk. I will try them on the back and crawl up the track at the lowest possible speed, ony one bend to negotiate Rolling Eyes I have no intention of using them on the roads as usually the D3 is fine on the ploughed stuff.

Might buy some spiky spiders for the front as it seems deep winter snow might be a regular occurance up here now......
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #7237791st Dec 2010 12:08 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I used the snow chains on the rear, everything was OK, in the end I did about
4 miles each time I used them. They coped fine, except on a sheer ice surface down a steep hill, they let go briefly, the front end did start to step out, but since I was going slowly I was in control of this.

This is a video I found for fitting the Brenta c's, which I have to say was much better than using the strange furry annimal instructions provided......I could not get them to properly sit tight on the wheels initially at all, until I had moved the car a foot or so once they were on and connected up. The chains also did need further re-tightening after a further few revolutions of the wheels on the snow, once I had done this they were good to go.

Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #72991111th Dec 2010 5:52 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

when i change to winter tyres i put spacers on all 4 wheels. i have 2 sets of chains for front and rear should the need arise. not had to use them yet but next week.....
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #73018412th Dec 2010 1:58 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

randalls wrote:
if I go too fast onto the road and try to turn left or right on tyres

. . . so, chains on front!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #73019012th Dec 2010 2:08 am
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

D4 with chains on rear:
D3 with chains on front and rear:

16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #73019512th Dec 2010 6:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to: