DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Fitting a Multi-Height Tow Bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mikejd

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Fitting a Multi-Height Tow Bar

Hi all,

I’ve just bought a D4 to replace my 2008 D3. (Hooray!).

The D3 was fitted with a multi-height tow bar, which I have transferred to the D4. The dealer that supplied the D4 fitted new towing electrics for me, and supplied a kit of new bolts to enable me to fit my old tow bar.

I thought that the transfer would be straightforward, and it was, up to a point. The only difficulty that I encountered was in trying to get the main part of the tow bar to engage with the receiver mounted to the car.

Initially, the tow bar would only go in up to the point where the small vertical pin on the front met some resistance. Maybe I should have hit the pin with a hammer but I wasn’t certain that it was supposed to move.

Anyway, after about half an hour of manoeuvring, pushing harder, a small amount of swearing and a few taps with a rubber mallet, the large pin at the back of the tow bar engaged with the rectangular slot in the receiver and I managed to lock the green lever and remove the key. I couldn’t move the tow bar at that stage, and it felt even more solid once I had bolted up the angle sections that connect it to the chassis.

The only small doubt remaining in my mind is, bearing in mind the difficulty I had to fit it, whether the tow bar has properly engaged with the receiver. Apologies if this sounds a ridiculous question, but how do I tell? Am I correct in assuming that I couldn’t have locked it and removed the key if it hasn’t?

Looking from underneath the car, I can see the end of the locking pin through the rectangular hole in the receiver but I’m not sure how far in it should go, and I haven’t got anything to compare it with to confirm that it is ok. I should have checked it in the D3 before I took it off!

Any advice, before I tow my caravan, would be welcomed.

PS: I've put a couple of pictures of the installation in my gallery - Unfortunately, I couldn't work out how to add them to this thread.

Post #10972771st May 2013 2:06 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

To post photos go into your gallery and copy the text next to BBCode Full Size

eg
[img]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/24780/IMG_0749small.jpg[/img]

and paste that into your reply so the photos appear Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I am sure that you can't get the key out until it is locked in position but will allow someone who is more experienced in using their towbar to confirm Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #10972801st May 2013 2:21 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

it looks OK from the photos. if the side bars connect up OK then it should all be seated properly Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #10972881st May 2013 2:40 pm
mikejd

Thanks for posting the pictures for me Ian.

Yes Duncan, no problem with fixing the side bars (or the metal cylinders that fit inside the chassis rails).

I just didn't want to find out I'd done something wrong by looking in the rear view mirror and seeing my caravan disappearing behind me!

Regards

Mike

Post #10972921st May 2013 2:53 pm
jack2006

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

MikeJD did you have the 2 bolts/spacers already present in the chassis rail on your D4?

I have just fitted my old multi-height taken off my D3 onto my D4 and the bolts/spacers were not present. Looking at the L/R install manual for the D4 it appears that these bolts are supplied as a separate item in the D4 multi-height kit. Are these the parts your L/R dealer supplied?

Post #110734522nd May 2013 8:48 pm
mikejd

No Jack, there were just holes drilled in the chassis.

The dealer supplied the Multi-Height Towbar Fitting Kit LR007485, which includes the chassis rail spacers and all the bolts and nuts needed to fix the side bars, drop plate and tow ball. I discarded all my old bolts and used the new ones but the height that I needed to fit the towball meant that I didn't have to fit the drop plate.

The chassis rail spacers are inserted through a keyhole shaped hole on the outside of the chassis and secured with a nut. The other end lines up with the hole on the inside of the chassis and is threaded to take the side bar mounting bolt.

I think that the fixing kit costs around £40 but I wasn't charged separately for it, so I'm not sure of the exact price.

Mike

Post #110740122nd May 2013 10:37 pm
jack2006

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

mikejd wrote:
No Jack, there were just holes drilled in the chassis.

The dealer supplied the Multi-Height Towbar Fitting Kit LR007485, which includes the chassis rail spacers and all the bolts and nuts needed to fix the side bars, drop plate and tow ball. I discarded all my old bolts and used the new ones but the height that I needed to fit the towball meant that I didn't have to fit the drop plate.

The chassis rail spacers are inserted through a keyhole shaped hole on the outside of the chassis and secured with a nut. The other end lines up with the hole on the inside of the chassis and is threaded to take the side bar mounting bolt.

I think that the fixing kit costs around £40 but I wasn't charged separately for it, so I'm not sure of the exact price.

Mike

Thanks Mike, thought that my D4 had bits missing....

Post #110757223rd May 2013 11:23 am
cherokee

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I paid £29 for the spacer bolts alone, from main
dealer I had the rest of the fitting kit from D3.
I fitted the drop plate because it acts as a guard
when hitching up, saves the bumper getting a rash!!
 Always walk behind a Shooter and
In front of a Sh*ter 

Post #110758023rd May 2013 11:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >