Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

FISH & CHIPS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

a bit like lamb...we get lamb from asda ...austrailian ..... FFS....there sheep everywhere ere

Post #228477023rd Mar 2022 12:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J77

Scotland 

Get my lamb from a local supplier, stopped buying supermarket meat a few years ago. Now use only local produce, and it’s not that much more expensive, probably on a par with the supermarket premium brand but tastes so much better.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #228480323rd Mar 2022 11:24 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

galwaygreen wrote:
a bit like lamb...we get lamb from asda ...austrailian ..... FFS....there sheep everywhere ere

It’s only going to get worse:

https://www.farminguk.com/news/amp/uk-aust...59577.html

Sad
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #228480623rd Mar 2022 11:34 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

galwaygreen wrote:

Try using a local butcher as they may well have locally sourced produce. Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #228482523rd Mar 2022 1:12 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Road kill? Shocked

Post #228484123rd Mar 2022 3:02 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Road kill? Shocked

Our local butcher gets their lamb from a local farm about 2 miles from here. The beef comes from the farm that wraps around the village. Pork and chicken - I'm not sure whence those come.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #228485523rd Mar 2022 4:40 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Also go to a local farm for meat , found it abit more expensive than the large supermarkets but tastes nicer and considerably less fat

Plus the farm seems to be one of the only places I can get lambs hearts that I use for casseroles

See pork has also risen

https://ahdb.org.uk/pork/gb-deadweight-pig-prices-uk-spec

See the haulage business will be affected by the new red diesel regs in April

Post #228486523rd Mar 2022 5:40 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

My lot are a bunch of fussy eaters from Vegans, Veggies to Pescatarians. So the cost of meat doesn’t really effect me.

Although, two of mine still eat meat, tends to be chicken. Eating or buying red meat is pretty much a no, no. I simply won’t eat anything containing very much fat, so bacon, sausages, etc. etc. is out, so is frying things too. Have to say I do have a soft spot for fish and chips, but it’s half a dozen times a year if that.

Post #228487123rd Mar 2022 6:15 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Fat is flavour. Thumbs Up

If I had to have your diet I think I'd go for a walk with the shotgun and not come back. Sounds terribly dreary to my taste.

I'm reminded of the joke - I'm 100 and I've never drunk, never smoked, never had a woman. So why did you want to live to 100? Whistle Rolling with laughter
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #228490023rd Mar 2022 10:05 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

gstuart wrote:
Also go to a local farm for meat , found it abit more expensive than the large supermarkets but tastes nicer and considerably less fat

Plus the farm seems to be one of the only places I can get lambs hearts that I use for casseroles

See pork has also risen

https://ahdb.org.uk/pork/gb-deadweight-pig-prices-uk-spec

See the haulage business will be affected by the new red diesel regs in April

I think the best way to buy meat, if you have the opportunity, is to buy a half or whole carcass. Even getting it cut up by someone would mean you'd end up with a pile of meat that was cheaper than the same from a supermarket. If you price up all of the cuts of a lamb, for example, from a supermarket, you'll find it's way more than the cost of the carcass. Way more.

It's a bit like buying Landie spares - the price of all the spares is higher than the cost of the original vehicle. Laughing
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #228490123rd Mar 2022 10:09 pm
gstuart

Many thks and I’ll remember that next time I go , will also make sure I’ve run the freezer down , if not candy will be getting some extra food in her bowl, lol

Out of curiosity how long can it be frozen for please , ie lamb or pork or is it dependent on its weight , as it’s just me my only concern would be it being consumed within a certain amount of time

Plus reminds me , next time if he has some rabbit as I really fancy doing a wrabbit casserole

Thks again

Post #228508925th Mar 2022 9:55 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Meat can be frozen for a long time, although how it's wrapped is important. Vacuum packing, for example, prevents freezer burn. Generally, stuff that's been the freezer a while tends to get cooked in wet recipes such as stews/casseroles that can be left long and slow. Helps to cover for any of the drying out that inevitably happens in meat that's been in the freezer a while.

Most advice is to only freeze meat for only 3-6 months but that is just because it dries out over long periods in the freezer. So long as it's dealt with correctly before freezing and then kept fully frozen, it could be safely eaten after years in a freezer. You wouldn't want to do it with something like a nice steak, however, as it wouldn't be worth eating as steak because you'd want to cook it through fully. You don't want to risk defrosting meat and then eating it rare.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #228509625th Mar 2022 10:40 am
gstuart

Many thanks and very useful with regards to vacuum storage , plus better get a pen so can date them

Personally only have a microwave and slow cooker, got rid of my cooker ages ago as hardly used it , used the space for an extra cupboard

Will have a chat with the farm next time in how much to get , plus really like some of the honey ham joints

Thks again for the great idea ref vacuum machines

Post #228517026th Mar 2022 7:34 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

£11 to £13 in the posh bits of Cornwall to fleece the tourists this weekend......

Post #228564329th Mar 2022 11:40 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Who eats wormy Cod anyway!

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #228565329th Mar 2022 1:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to: