DISCO3.CO.UK > General

your first oil changing...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ollram

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
your first oil changing...

I've done for far 1000miles....
they told me the first oil changing is at 3000miles..
however, a good friend (expert in the LR/Ford engines) told me to change the oil & filter at:
1st change at even 250 miles Rolling Eyes
2nd one at 1000miles
3rd at 3000miles
4th at 6500miles
then every 3000miles....

he recommended this (if i'd like to preserve the engine ....)

what you had done with your LR3???

thnx

Post #1375279th Mar 2007 3:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This might be advisable for a high revving superbike engine, but for a low revving diesel burner it seems way over the top or even for the V8. If you want to sleep soundly, maybe an oil/ filter change after the first 1000 miles, in case there is any debris left from build & intial bedding in. But in my (limited) experience there should be very little.
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #1375399th Mar 2007 4:15 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Seems a bit excesive...i changed my oil at about 8000 miles ...and will let the dealers do the next one at 15000 miles.

You have also got to look at the cost of semi /full synthetic oil ..its not cheap Sad
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #1375449th Mar 2007 4:33 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You change your oil that often and your engine will never bed-in and will forever be tight.

And it's a Jag engine, with no Ford heritage at all.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1375489th Mar 2007 4:42 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

with modern oils this is really unnecessary your just wasting your time and money IMHO. In fact its only that LR want you in every year due to brake pad wear that the service interval is yearly , 15000 is a conservative figure as well if you look at a similar but much higher performance 3.0 diesel the BMW 535d putting out 272bhp and reving to 5000 rpm its got a 20000 mile service interval.

Post #13766110th Mar 2007 9:40 am
DickyH

Er, don't forget though that it's not exactly in the manufacturers interest to make these engines last too long. They want them to be reliable enough to outlast the warranty (so they don't have to pay out), and also to ensure a reasonable reputation for the brand, but I very much doubt if they want them to go on too long as they want to sell you a new one fairly often. This goes for everything on the car really, as it would not be in the manufacturers interest if they all routinely did 500k miles.
In my opinion, if you've bought the car yourself and are intending to keep it for a long time (say 7-10 years)you would do well to change the oil yourself at half the manufacturers recommended service interval. It isn't going to cost you a great deal of money, but it's important to buy a good quality oil and preferably the manufacturers oem filter.
If you're not going to keep it very long, then what do you care? It'll be the next guys problem when he has to put up with a badly worn engine and high oil consumption at 100k miles. This is the problem with ex fleet and company cars etc. Nobody really gives a Censored about them. Yes they are serviced according to the schedule (but only because the lease conditions demand it), however, they are routinely thrashed from cold and other such abuse. After all, everybody knows that company cars (and hire cars) come ready warmed up and can be thrashed from cold on a morning! Fine, so long as you don't end up buying one in the future.

Post #13766410th Mar 2007 11:51 am
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Oil change

Following the manufacturers recomendations.... 15k service in a week or so. I know some of the others have done interim changes but if you follow what LR say there shouldnt be a problem

Post #13766710th Mar 2007 11:57 am
Ollram

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

thnx to all
good thoughts for food Smile
the sad thing is manufacturers don't like us to keep the cars for loooong....

Post #13769910th Mar 2007 10:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There was an interesting test that was done by Mobile.

They ran two cars on their oil one with oil changes at 7500 and the other 15000. They ran for 200000 miles and then stripped them down the engines were both within factory tolerances.

They then took a BMW 325i and ran it for 1,000,000 miles stripped the engine down and its was still within manufacturers tolerences.

Now why is it in a Oil companies benefit to claim you dont have to change there oil that often?

Post #13785911th Mar 2007 10:15 pm
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

To get to the engine oil sump plug you would have to unbolt the substantial engine underbody guard plate. If you were doing that many oil changes, you'd become adept at it or frustrated.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #13791212th Mar 2007 12:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >