Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

First Claim on Motor Easy - Thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
James W

United Kingdom 
First Claim on Motor Easy - Thoughts

I'm not sure if anybody else has claimed yet on Motor Easy but I know there has been a lot of interest on them versus Warranty Direct, so thought I'm summarise my experience.

Initial contact was fine and easy, they put me through to their 'claims department' which actually seems to be a separate garage-booking and admin company called 'Motor Angels' (I don't know if they are legally separate but Motor Easy just feel like the underwriters, with Motor Angels doing the repair scheduling legwork)

They won't do anything until they have a diagnosis which you pay for and they then refund (up to around £90 or so IIRC) so I had to tell them my general location and the day and time I was free (a Friday morning in my case) and they send you through the garage to head for within a day or so. They wouldn't allow me to skip the diagnosis stage even though I told them it was definitely a faulty central locking mechanism but I understand this.

The next day they send me the details of a very random garage on the far side of Liverpool, even though I'm on the Wirral and my local independent is about 4 miles away. I decide to go with the flow and set of very early on the Friday morning to find they've actually booked me there the following week, not the day I asked for. To be fair, the 'wrong' date is buried further down in the email, I was just looking for the garage details as I'd already agreed the date and time in my mind. (The intention was that they'd find a garage that was free at the time I'd specificed or tell me otherwise). Two hours wasted, two tunnel fees, fuel, etc.)

Argued with them and they said I could use my own garage but I'd have to pay myself and claim back, fine. The guy on the phone did get a bit edgy/change character when I was complaining about the mess around - I can imagine they can 'turn' when arguing a claim just like I found with Warranty Direct. I wouldn't like to test this.

Book myself in with my local garage for 'diagnostics' only. You aren't able to get it repaired same day as the diagnosis which for small jobs like this seems a failed opportunity to save everyone's time and money. Had to provide a written diagnostics and written quote to them. They accept scans by email which is quick/good. They quickly approved the repair so I re-booked with my garage to do the job.

Repair done, I had to get the invoice made out to them and again submitted to Motor Easy. They cover 100% of the parts and labour minus a £50+VAT repair contribution. I provide bank details for the money to be transferred. If I had stuck with their own randomly selected garage, they would have paid them directly for the repair, and refunded me the diagnosis (or not, if the diagnosis uncovered an uncovered or non existent fault)

So in summary, the admin and contact side isn't slick, it's hard to keep track of all the emails back and forth especially with them coming from two parties (Motor Easy and Motor Angel). You don't get that 'one stop shop' feel that I found with Warranty Direct. But despite me having to do a bit of admin the decision making and approval process seemed quick. This was only around £180 claim, would be interesting to see how they handle a 'biggie'.

Nothing major to report then other than a bit of a sketchy customer journey and watch out with the garage booking process. Might be worth jumping straight in and asking for your preferred place otherwise Motor Angels may send you off somewhere weird. And check your emails very carefully before heading out.

James
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #188250522nd Nov 2017 5:02 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What would happen James with say Crank failure, would you have to get the car trailered to their garage of choice and also what would be the cost to you for the diagnostics ?
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #188251522nd Nov 2017 5:22 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Hi Mark. My cover says "We will pay for the cost of recovering the vehicle to the nearest garage, for covered repairs, up to £150 including VAT."

Also out if interest it also say it covers:

All internally lubricated components are covered including: Camshafts & bearings, camshaft followers & rockers (including hydraulic lash adjusters), connecting rods & bearings, crankshaft & bearings, cylinder block, cylinder bores & liners & seals, cylinder heads, internal bushes & bearings, oil pump & drive, pistons & rings, timing gears & chain & tensioner and valves & springs & guides (burnt or pitted valves and valve seats are not covered).

The following components are also covered:
Crankshaft pulley and cylinder head gasket.

Camshaft drive belts are covered as follows:
Camshaft drive belts and tensioners (subject to documented proof that the last due change of the
camshaft drive belt has taken place as specified by the manufacturer’s recommended servicing schedule)

My garage owner was moaning about warranty companies as every time he has a crankshaft failure (which apparently is quite a few Shocked ) he has to strip down the whole engine, photograph it etc and officially diagnose it before the warranty company will pay out. He just feels it's a waste of time and money for everyone, when he can tell they've gone normally just by the description of the breakdown and the engine noises etc. But they still want him to strip down the engine. Apparently they also want him to put it back together too before they will swap with a replacement engine. I presume the damaged ones go back for refurb where possible?

I can't find any quoted limits for diagnosis in the book. I assume that they allowed me £90 based on the general description of the fault. Maybe if I called them with a horror story they'd allow more? It's 'them' who want it so I'd think they'd set a limit case by case?

Post #188253422nd Nov 2017 6:01 pm
Aerialmark

"My garage owner was moaning about warranty companies as every time he has a crankshaft failure (which apparently is quite a few Shocked ) he has to strip down the whole engine, photograph it etc and officially diagnose it before the warranty company will pay out. He just feels it's a waste of time and money for everyone, when he can tell they've gone normally just by the description of the breakdown and the engine noises etc. But they still want him to strip down the engine. Apparently they also want him to put it back together too before they will swap with a replacement engine. I presume the damaged ones go back for refurb where possible? "
Hi James, So what you are saying is that your indy would could possibly only get £90 from you to do the above ?

Post #188270023rd Nov 2017 9:56 am
James W

United Kingdom 

Not quite, the warranty companies are insisting that he does a full strip down inspection when he claims it's unnecessary as he knows what's wrong. I certainly don't think he'd do this if they weren't footing the bill for it. He's doing it at the warranty company's request.

I was allowed £90 for diagnostics, I assume this was due to the general description of the fault. If within that £90 my mechanic said he needs to take half the car apart to diagnose it, I guess they would have to approve more at that point.

Post #188288623rd Nov 2017 8:00 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Motoreasy’s accounts make interesting reading (as do Warranty Direct’s!). Definitely something I’d recommend checking as part of the process of buying a policy...
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #188290223rd Nov 2017 8:38 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I'm paying by direct debit installment so if they go bust it's not like I've paid the whole term upfront.

Post #188293623rd Nov 2017 10:10 pm
Dave T

England 

Hmm, diagnostics cost me over £1K when I had my engine trouble, that was about 8 years ago now......

Your story just doesn't fill me with confidence, a lot of diagnostics is stripping down (unless its a fault code), if you get that far its often as easy just to fit the new bit. Maybe worth speaking with the garage at that point if this happens, fit the part (as you would want it doing even if they didn't pay) and then "sort the paperwork"
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #188297124th Nov 2017 7:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Aerialmark

James W wrote:
Not quite, the warranty companies are insisting that he does a full strip down inspection when he claims it's unnecessary as he knows what's wrong. I certainly don't think he'd do this if they weren't footing the bill for it. He's doing it at the warranty company's request.

I was allowed £90 for diagnostics, I assume this was due to the general description of the fault. If within that £90 my mechanic said he needs to take half the car apart to diagnose it, I guess they would have to approve more at that point.

Sorry i read it wrong Embarassed

Post #188313024th Nov 2017 3:59 pm
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Looks like I'm about to make a claim using them too. Compressor failing on me.

Told them I would be using my own garage and they didn't seem to mind despite receiving the following email:

Quote:
Your car details and location have been passed to our engineers, who are arranging a booking at the most appropriate workshop for you. We will email you again with the garage location, usually within 24 hours.
Please check these booking details:
Booking:
Your Booking: Diagnosis
Price to be charged on the day: £36.00 (including VAT)
On: 24/11/2017
**You never need to pay the garage directly - we will always try to save you money over the usual retail rates.**
We will confirm the booking or contact you to discuss any issues as soon as possible.

Second email came from Motor Angel

Quote:
We have opened a claim for you. Now please email a copy of your current MOT, last service proof (receipt of book stamp) and a clear diagnosis of the fault with labour and parts costs. A mobile phone picture or scan is fine. Please put your car registration in the subject.
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #188314724th Nov 2017 4:39 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

£36 seems a bit tight for diagnosis? That's half an hour isn't it?

Post #188321724th Nov 2017 7:04 pm
alfamale

Not liking this Motor Easy/Motor Angel process so far. Four days to respond and then this:

Quote:
We can not accept the diagnosis report supplied- We need the garage to send to us a diagnosis report i.e. what is the primary failures if there are any recommendations

WD was so much easier. The garage phones them, tells them what's what and how much and they approve or decline (mostly approve it has to be said).

Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the garage told them (and therefore me) to Censored Censored . Both upper suspension arms/wishbones is a ball-ache of a job anyway!

Banging Head
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #188952412th Dec 2017 5:15 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Have to admit I’m still waiting for the payout from motor easy/angel to reach my bank after several weeks. I’ll called yesterday and was told the the ‘finance department’ had just happened to have done it that day and to give it 48 hrs Rolling Eyes

Post #188962012th Dec 2017 8:17 pm
alfamale

Well, MotorEasy / Motor Angel have refused my claim for the NSR/OSR Upper Arms and Wishbones so I will almost certainly be cancelling the policy with them and going at it alone from here on in!

Censored Censored

Post #189187119th Dec 2017 9:35 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

What reason did they give for not paying?

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #189187419th Dec 2017 9:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >