Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

First attempt at a basic service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Disco3_DC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
First attempt at a basic service

I've been toying with the idea for a couple of years now of doing a basic service on my Disco 3, 2005, 2.7ltr TDV6, especially as garage prices keep climbing. However, despite regularly doing basic maintenance on my 50 year old Triumph, I've always been a bit nervous of tackling the Landy, mainly because of the size of it.

Nevertheless, at the weekend, after reading up here and elsewhere, I changed the oil and oil filter, and the air filter. All went well and it's given me the confidence to tackle more. In particular, the fuel filter.

I was under the car again earlier today, refitting the under guard, so popped the fuel filter guard off to take a look. It looks reasonably simple, but before cracking on I just wanted to ask a couple of questions. I know that fuel filters have been covered in detail on the forum, so apologies if I've missed the answers somewhere else.

First question, does the bracket holding the fuel have to be removed in full, or can the filter be wriggled out, once the connectors are removed?

Secondly, on Youtube I've seen someone filling the new filter with injector cleaner before refitting. He doesn't give much information about this (how much, etc.), so I'm just wondering if it is good practice? I suppose the idea is that it can remove the need for a bleed.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks, Darren

Post #207742620th Aug 2019 3:21 pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I've just done this myself; I removed the clamping bolt entirely and the filter can be easily removed leaving the bracket in place. I didn't pre-fill the filter (injector cleaner is suggested by some as it gives a concentrated dose, make up your own mind on the wisdom of that) but I ended up wishing I had as running the pump a few times and then starting ended in an engine that stopped quickly and then lots of bleeding. Bleeding isn't difficult but did result in a fair amount of diesel down the back of the engine despite surrounding the valve in rags. My suspicion is that by not bleeding it in the first place I ended up with diesel mixed with air rather than a clear bubble that could be easily bled through in one fell swoop. For what it is worth I found the most difficult bit to be finding a connector where both side buttons were accessible as 3 of the 4 were obstructed by the adjacent pipes.

I bought the filter from Eurocarparts whilst they had a flash sale on, being Delphi I believe it is the oem item and thanks to the discount came in at just over £25 rather than close to £60 without.

Post #207742820th Aug 2019 3:30 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just undo the 8mm blot that clamps the fuel filter then you can rotate it to get at the connectors better, Its personal choice about filling the new filter with cleaner, I never fill them and I always bleed them from the valve at the rear of the engine bay.
The older cars with the old type fuel filter take more bleeding than the new throw away canister filters.
Just make sure you get the pipes back on the right connector.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #207742920th Aug 2019 3:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
john hall

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Fitting a new fuel filter can be a PIA ,if it’s the one with coloured connections on top photograph it first so you put the right pipes on the right connections,it’s easier to remove the filter from the whole bracket ,it’s not hard to remove,pre fill the filter with diesel then refit ,it’s fiddly to do,just make sure all the right connections go on the right parts of the filter and use a Mahle filter ,they really don’t like non OEM filters,good luck ,I would pay a garage to do it ,Diesel is horrible stuff and your working underneath it

Post #207743020th Aug 2019 3:36 pm
gearmuncher

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

hope you have located the oil filter correctly, insert into engine so the little pipe slots in its place, not into the cover and screwed down or bad things will happen.

Post #207744120th Aug 2019 5:16 pm
Disco3_DC

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Much appreciated.

Yes, Gearmuncher, having watched a video (where it was done incorrectly) and read on the subject of the oil filter, I was very careful to locate the element with the little pipe in place first, before fitting the housing. Thanks for highlighting it, because it is key and I could have missed it.

Best wishes,

Darren

Post #207744220th Aug 2019 5:25 pm
WS7

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My street had never heard language like it when I changed the fuel filter on my D3.
Make sure you’re in a relaxed and patient mood before starting Thumbs Up

Post #207745120th Aug 2019 6:05 pm
gearmuncher

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Disco3_DC wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Much appreciated.

Yes, Gearmuncher, having watched a video (where it was done incorrectly) and read on the subject of the oil filter, I was very careful to locate the element with the little pipe in place first, before fitting the housing. Thanks for highlighting it, because it is key and I could have missed it.

Best wishes,

Darren

Yep I also watched that video, but when I saw that pipe I could not work out how it could possibly fit in the correct place, even the manual is ambiguous :-

􀀛. Install the oil filter element.
C lean the components.
Make sure the oil filter element spigot aligns with the
hole in the filter housing.
Install a new O-ring seal.
Tighten the element cover to 25 Nm (18 lb.ft).

it says to make sure the pipe aligns with hole, it dose not say fit to housing then fit cover on top.
a lot of Disco 3's have bit the dust because of this.

Post #207746820th Aug 2019 7:14 pm
Disco3_DC

Finally got back around to taking a look underneath again today with the aim of changing the fuel filter. I made some progress, but came across something I did not expect, so thought I'd hold off going further until I'd got some advice.

As mentioned before, car is a 2005 TDV6, HSE, 2.7 diesel. What I was expecting to see was four lines going into the fuel filter, each with push buttons ends to detach them. However, only three had the push button ends, the forth one was something different. Should it be like that and if so how is the forth line removed?

Thanks

Post #208453316th Sep 2019 11:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >