Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Firm suspension-Can it be changed back?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:

Before the enhancement, mine used to lean to the left, now its straight as a die so they must have fixed something.

Confused .... one of the problems I believe I have post enhancement is the car often rides with the left lower Confused .... wonder what they fixed or was it just software update resolved this?
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8756923rd Sep 2006 12:58 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes that could be the case, have you tried putting a few slabs on concrete in the boot for a comparison?

having said that, I usually empty the car on a Friday evening and deploy the third row seats for the weekend kid-taxi duties, and I have to say I have not noticed any excessive rattles.

I use the car regularly off-road too, and it gets a good hammering on the rocks of the Peaks and I think its holding together very well, much better than my previous 2 Discoverys.

Post #8757123rd Sep 2006 1:00 am
dylansdad

Will find out as should have it full of people this weekend. Im one of the ones that had the newer compressor which I was told was uprated and capable of delivering more pressure (apparently to fix casselated tyre wear?)... I wonder if this has any bearing?... i.e. if i had an origional compressor there would be less pressure there and therfor a softer ride?

where is an expert when you need one .... LRT? Winger? anyone who knows in detail how these things work?

You'd hope if it was something that obvious LR themselves would know and make it known... so maybe thats way off and no possibility at all.
Post #8757323rd Sep 2006 1:08 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine has the original compressor from Nov 04, I had three occurences of suspension failure in the first 6 months of ownership, but as far as I know the compressor was never changed. The problems were all caused by wiring faults and software problems.

Since then, I have had no suspension issues for 47000 miles. The enhancement appeared to make very little difference to my car, I can only presume that my car was probably the guinea pig to develop the latest fix.

It would be an interesting excercise to compare my car with another enhanced example to see for sure if there is anything to worry about.

Post #8757623rd Sep 2006 1:16 am
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

bluebarchetta wrote:
I agree about the tyre pressures - I am conscious that I don't do mine every week and am trying these

http://www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/aircheckers.asp

Are those things any good ?

My dream would be a set of Bluetooth equipped one which you could interrogate from a distance using a Palm or a mobile phone... Wink But I'll keep dreaming !

I have not had a chance to drive my car since it got its enhancement, but my wife does not complain...
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #8758023rd Sep 2006 5:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

They seem good - it is just a quick glance round the car to check them.

At the moment they are new so I am doing a manual check as well - all okay so far.

They are slightly longer than standard valves and whilst they are well sealed I would not use them off road.

Post #8758123rd Sep 2006 6:01 am
Gurvan

Why would'nt you use them off road ? Fear of having them destroyed by friction or something ?

(Yeah, I know that we are diverting from the main subject here, but maybe some "nice moderator" could move those to a new subject ? Please ? Wink )
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #8758223rd Sep 2006 6:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The length. The standard valve caps don't project beyond the alloy, but these do so could be damaged if the going is tough.

BTW they also do this, which is an FM version: -

http://www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/digital-pressure-pro.asp

Post #8758323rd Sep 2006 6:20 am
Gurvan

Yeah...

I have seen that one !

What I am looking forward to is something which would put a small BT emitter on top of the cap and a Palm software. Could check the pressure fromp inside... Wink And if it could be used in a 2 way fashion, you would eventually be able to deflate the tyre from inside ! Could be quite useful but probably a wee bit expensive ! Embarassed 8)

But imagine, you own a Palm and with:

- This: http://www.pathaway.com/PWPalmOS.htm
- This: http://www.auterraweb.com/scantoolsoftware.html
and a BT TPMS, it would make a quite futuristic and fun package !

I own the first two... The GPS software works great ! Being away from my car for a while, I have not been abloe to test the second one so far... But I already find that my Palm is making a quite worthwhile addition to my vehicle... Smile

Me and my toys, i know... Laughing
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #8758423rd Sep 2006 6:28 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

dylansdad wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Its an off road vehicle at the end of the day Shocked

Rolling Eyes ..... seeking knowledge and understanding from an obviously knowledgable member has nothing to do with what the vehicle is used for - its what forums are about (discussions)

get a life.

I have mate that’s why I don't spend my life on this site whingeing and complaining about a car.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #8758823rd Sep 2006 7:00 am
Jamo

Australia 

Mine had a weird, intermittent creaking sound for a while. I could'nt work out if it was coming from the seat or the dash. I serached the GTR and came up with nothing that specifically fitted what was happening!

Then....

A few days later, I was walking into a quiet room and heard the creaking! Shocked

IT was coming from my boots! Embarassed
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8759523rd Sep 2006 7:36 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Laughing Laughing Laughing

get some WD40 on them Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8759723rd Sep 2006 7:37 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

dylansdad wrote:
where is an expert when you need one .... LRT? Winger? anyone who knows in detail how these things work?

Doing the sensible thing, and engaging in some well earned rest at the time you were posting.

Am I, more and more, becoming convinced that it is very fortunate I am not your dealer........

Post #8760423rd Sep 2006 8:07 am
landlover

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Fully agree with d3matt's post 635, the car handled very well on the open road, excellent around corners but do admit a bit wallowy around town.
I cannot see why they cant' make the suspension software selectable with a press of a button eg.. the sports mode. If it was primarily a height adjustment which I suspect it was, why have they now made the car lower 20mm at 160kph they should of made the car lower at maybe 95 kph instead. Not many people belt along gravel roads with a raised crown in the road high enough to hit above that speed. The car is definitely higher post enhancement especially the rear suspension.

I am also tempted to go to one of my local engineering and machine shop as they have a lot very well made adjustable cadnium plated small ball joint linkages and replacing the lingages on the height sensors.
I read somwhere on the matzker site that their plug in suspension enhancement tricks the software sensors into thinking they are lower or higher (selectable) than they really are. (According to matzker in access mode they can actually go into extended mode accidentally as they think the car has grounded)

Where I live most roads are in very sparsely populated areas and cannot be built to free-way or autobahn standards. Its better for the wheels to be thrown up and down than the whole car ( my cars not that bad but you know what I mean Wink ) My fuel consumption was actually higher on rough roads than smooth roads before enhancement, (Excellent fuel economy on freeways) I haven't compared it Post/E.

I bought the car for the almost limo ride and effortless touring capabilties along with exceptional off-road capabilities, I didn't buy a sports car. Smile
 D3 TDV6 HSE Atacama Sand previous RRS TDV6, D3 TDV6 SE White, Td5 Disco, td4 Freelander MMCC Sceptic...)
(Climate change ? Whats new ? "The IPCC" Man's new tower of Babel ? 

Post #8764123rd Sep 2006 2:01 pm
dylansdad

AndrewS wrote:

I have mate that’s why I don't spend my life on this site whingeing and complaining about a car.

Rolling Eyes its amazing how some people believe their own propeganda.

Yes my D3 has problems, Yes if i see someone seeking to know if anyone else has same issue I will own up. HOWEVER

I do NOT whinge and complain about the D3 as you claim and as some do.

I do NOT create posts every time there is an issue or something goes wrong.

I do NOT complain about my situation.

I HAVE asked the advice of the community on here on occasion about any experiences in the same situation - perhaps i am mistaken in thinking that is the purpose of a forum like this.

I will say this again just incase youve failed to get the message .... I LOVE the D3 and will be only too happy to tell people its the best vehilce around... once the failures with mine are resolved one way or another.
Post #8768223rd Sep 2006 8:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >