Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Firm suspension-Can it be changed back?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think there must be a difference with these. My D3 (06 model) has always felt significantly different to my friends D3 (05 model). And the same may also be true after the enhancements - they haven't noticed any change in firmness.
 Matt  
Post #8752822nd Sep 2006 10:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I think that mine felt tighter in the corners but I didn't feel that it was harder on the road...mind you ...that is all a distant memory since I started to enjoy the rumble of me MT\R's Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8753122nd Sep 2006 10:09 pm
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I agree about the tyre pressures - I am conscious that I don't do mine every week and am trying these

http://www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/aircheckers.asp

Matt, are you going to ask Hartwell's to rewind your enhancement?

Post #8753322nd Sep 2006 10:14 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Comparing new, low mileage vehicles to those that have been enhanced and done many miles is far from scientific.

Tyre wear plays a rather bigger part in the overall handling and feel of the car than many people imagine.

A slightly more efficient air suspension system will also make a considerable difference to the overall feel.

Post #8753522nd Sep 2006 10:20 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

bluebarchetta wrote:
Matt, are you going to ask Hartwell's to rewind your enhancement?

I wasn't becuase I assumed that they wouldn't be able too. Maybe I should, becuase I would prefer the old setup.
However, being an IT person, I do like having the lastest firmware, even if I can't see any advantages - just knowing it is the latest gives you the satisfaction! Wink
 Matt  
Post #8754022nd Sep 2006 10:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

firmware..... definitely an appropriate name for the suspension update if ever there was one Laughing
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8754422nd Sep 2006 10:55 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

The suspension control module was updated to increase the reaction time from sensors on the car. This has resulted in the car appearing 'firmer' because the suspension is now doing what is was supposed to in the 1st place!

I'm afraid there is 'no way back' when it comes to dealer software upgrades

Post #8755022nd Sep 2006 11:24 pm
dylansdad

interesting to know exactly what has happened and why.... makes sense now.

is it beyond the capabilities of the system to have an exponential reaction to the changes based on speed, vehicle tilt etc? or does it do all this already?

I read somewhere that the early decisions to change all the compressors for uprated ones was superceeded by the software update.... this being the case is it possible that those of us with the newer compressors fitted might be getting a firmer ride than those with the origional compressors.

I am probably way off whats really going on but its good to get feedback from someone who actually can explain what the software changes are actually doing to the systems and how they interact.

I guess the question is ....is there anything they could do in a future update to merge the new handling with the old smoother ride many of us loved.
Post #8755322nd Sep 2006 11:32 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Its an off road vehicle at the end of the day Shocked
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #8755522nd Sep 2006 11:36 pm
dylansdad

AndrewS wrote:
Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Its an off road vehicle at the end of the day Shocked

Rolling Eyes ..... seeking knowledge and understanding from an obviously knowledgable member has nothing to do with what the vehicle is used for - its what forums are about (discussions)

get a life.
Post #8755622nd Sep 2006 11:40 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

dylansdad wrote:
I guess the question is ....is there anything they could do in a future update to merge the new handling with the old smoother ride many of us loved.

Many of us haven't lost the smoother ride .....perhaps some of us just think we have Wink

Until someone PROVES otherwise...I believe that the overall ride is the same but the dynamics in cornering are different Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8755723rd Sep 2006 12:02 am
dylansdad

it is undoubtable that like me a lot of people are noticing a harder ride yet some dont think there is any difference at all.

for me its noticable when traveling in a straight line on a dual carriageway you no longer get the gentle smooth drifting you used to... every undulation and slight uneven bump in the road it transmitted through the wheel and the seat.

I have a dog crate in the rear which is significanly more noisy as a result of the extra 'feedback' into the vehicle, I now have to put less tea in my travel mug as it sloshes out if i dont...which it never used to (on same journey same roads same speeds as before) so theres little doubt for me the change has meant some of the aborbsion of shocks has diminished.... just wondering if its necessary for it to be like that when youre in a straight line at 60mph. maybe the system doesnt have the ability to be soft and then respond fast enough to firm up and effect the suspension in the event you swerve?

hoping LRT or someone who understands the software and hardware interactions that have changed might have a view on if anyone should hold out hope for another fine tuning of the setup at some point.

then again... Im no speed demon ... more of a relaxed tootler ... maybe thats why the change is more noticable to some than others Razz Wink
Post #8755923rd Sep 2006 12:22 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

dylansdad wrote:
the system doesnt have the ability to be soft and then respond fast enough to firm up and effect the suspension in the event you swerve?:

Well if you had a D2 with ACE (which you might have ?) then you would know that the technology used was originally developed by Lotus. The system would utilise high pressure fluid transmission to rectify cornering roll within a millisecond of detection. This action had no effect whatever on normal straight line driving ride .

Now, the question is, is a similar system utilised in the D3's air suspension?? I don't see that LR would want to correct ride comfort...but they would want to correct the body roll expressed in some early reports Rolling Eyes

Last edited by DG on 23rd Sep 2006 12:52 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8756423rd Sep 2006 12:51 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think mine is a touch firmer than it used to be. I still feel that it has a super ride, and as I usually have a boot full of tools and computer equipment I don't tend to notice any rattles. It certainly handles very well for such a heavy car.

Before the enhancement, mine used to lean to the left, now its straight as a die so they must have fixed something.

Post #8756523rd Sep 2006 12:51 am
dylansdad

I wonder if the extra weight youre always carrying would actually make it smoother as the system has more to shift/manage?

Mine only has me (im only *cough* stones Laughing ) and not much else in the car normally.
Post #8756723rd Sep 2006 12:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >