DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Fiddling with air suspension Italian style
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Crocodile

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Fiddling with air suspension Italian style

G'day everyone!

Got myself a nice shiny D4 and want to take it places. D4 replaces the old trusty D2, which was heavily modified (on sale now, if anyone's interested), ran on 33 inch BFG tyres with 2 inch lift, and so I didn't really care how deep the ruts or water were 8)

Permanently lifting a D4 with different struts is not my cup of tea, so I've done some internetting and found this:

http://www.mudtech4x4.com/en/accessori-mod...ni-anitas/

I am also aware of a similar modification done by Matzker in Germany, but their conversion is more than twice as expensive. Still, a lot cheaper than recovering a sunk battlecruiser...

So here's the question: has anyone come across this type of conversion and if so, what do you think about it? Does it make sense?

Thanks in advance

Post #102664931st Dec 2012 1:29 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You can do that with an IID tool .. About half the price too
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #102665731st Dec 2012 1:42 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Llams kit from Oz. More adjustable. Thumbs Up

http://www.llams.com.au/

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/verandah/114282-...4-rrs.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #102665831st Dec 2012 1:43 pm
Crocodile

Thanks gentlemen! But has anyone actually tried it on his/her Landy?

Post #102699631st Dec 2012 9:52 pm
Crocodile

wiggs wrote:
You can do that with an IID tool .. About half the price too

Yes, found one at LR Parts but it does say "Disco 3". I understand the air suspension on both D3 and D4 is similar, but there's no mention of this tool in D4 section of the site...

Post #10270351st Jan 2013 12:17 am
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's really a must have to either have Rods or LLAMS fitted in Aus.
We need to be able to keep the car raised over 50kph on many of the treks here.

Here is LLAMS on a D4 showing the switch position.
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/118349...r-19s.html
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #10270531st Jan 2013 2:57 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Crocodile wrote:

Yes, found one at LR Parts but it does say "Disco 3". I understand the air suspension on both D3 and D4 is similar, but there's no mention of this tool in D4 section of the site...

The D4 version is in Beta testing - Contact GAP Diagnostic they are a site sponsor

Post #10270601st Jan 2013 8:24 am
Crocodile

Thanks gents! However the more I look at various options, the more confusing it becomes. Do I understand correctly that an IID Tool just reprogrammes the three height positions to what I like and keeps them, and they are selected in a normal fashion with buttons? Is the LLAM or Italian thing more "analogue" and adjusts suspension in addition to standard Land Rover positions?
Also, Mudtech claim at full height their suspension mod lifts the body 40cm up from the ground and diffs go up 36cm - is it too high for prop shafts to work reliably?

Thanks in advance.

Happy New Year to you all Thumbs Up

Post #10274282nd Jan 2013 1:51 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm not sure about prop shaft damage, but you will definitely be at risk of popping a front driveshaft CV joint. They have been known to break on standard vehicles when off road extended height is used in conjunction with high power and full lock. Certainly was the case on D3, D4 may be better?

Post #10274422nd Jan 2013 9:08 am
Crocodile

Oh well, here we go... Before I remapped the ECU on my old Disco 2 I had to change the entire front axle - half shafts, CVs and all the little bits. Makes sense if you bring the power up from 130 to 220bhp, but I thought that with 255 horses available for SDV6 as standard the axles would be strong enough to cope... Any good or bad news on this front?

We've gone off topic though Smile GAP Diagnostics do have a module for D4 un beta, got an email from them today, they say it should be on the market in March. Doesn't answer my question though: say I've reprogrammed EAS with their module and set off-road height to be an inch higher than the original. So, when I press the button to bring the car up to off-road height it goes up one inch higher than the original off-road setting? And what happens to the extra lift, not available to user? Is my understanding correct, and if so, is LLAM or MudTech unit any different?

Thanks.

Post #10280112nd Jan 2013 11:56 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The issue is not with weak cv joints, or anything else in the drivetrain, its as strong as anything. The problem is one of over articulation of the outer joint on the nearside shaft, the angle of the shaft when in fully extended mode, and accompanied by full lock can cause the joint to pull apart and the balls fall out!

Post #10280213rd Jan 2013 12:17 am
~Rich~

LLAMS fools the sensors at which height they currently are, in other words you have the choice of all the standard heights with their restrictions plus the additional choice of -20mm, + 30mm & + 50mm.
Their is also a special functions button which enables some additional heights & features in case of a ABS fault.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #10280423rd Jan 2013 1:43 am
Crocodile

Thanks Rich. I've been to Aus last year, has driven 4,000 miles in NT and WA, "survived the Gibb River Road" (albeit in August, when the river was barely a metre deep Wink ) and enjoyed the trip massively. Had a nice J78 Land Cruiser-based pop-top camper, and it was more than adequate, but it gave me an idea as to what a decent overlander should be like Wink

So for now I'm considering between the Italian and Australian electronic fooling units. Italian thing seems (on paper at least) go a full inch higher, but did any of you guys ever need to raise your Landy this high? Besides, Gareth has made a viable point here: if you raise your car too high, the CVs are much more likely to leave you stranded.

Your thoughts?

Post #10292904th Jan 2013 9:47 pm
~Rich~

This is LLAMS set at it's highest, which is Off Road + LLAMS set to +50mm and the special functions button pressed to raise it to max.

I would not use this height unless it was really needed to get out of a stranding!
I generally use Off Road + LLAMS set to either +30 or +50mm when required.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #10303066th Jan 2013 9:54 pm
marcap599

Germany 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

@Crocodile:
The installation of an additional module is something really different against the ODBII reprogramming.
Yes, with the suspension module ANITAS you'll get 4 additional step on the LR original setting:

-20 mm
+25 mm
+50 mm
+75 mm

You can use these in every combination with the Land Rover settings.

in addition you'll get some extra functions:
- Wheel change mode (lock the suspension heights)
- Recovery mode (delete the speed limit in case of a height sensor fault), and help to re-fill the air springs
- Full ground level

It is not visible from any diagnostic tools.

100% reversible

plug & play kit

Yes, an excessive use of the maximum height can brake the CV joints. Exactly like the super-extended mode.
We always recommand to use the height increasing when strictly necessary, this is to prevent unecessary mechanichal stress.

We really try to offer the best solution in design, quality, functions and price too.

@rich:
I like so much your back wheel carrier, where I can get one?
 marcap599  
Post #103896720th Jan 2013 9:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >