DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Our "Feuerstuhl" a 2006 HSE TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Fuxl

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 3
Our "Feuerstuhl" a 2006 HSE TDV6

Hi together

I'm quite a time around here, and asked a lot of questions and found a lot of help, but I never introduced my never ending story about our Family car.

in 2020 my wife wanted a 7seater car for the family.
we were searching all type of cars, espesially NOT english ones. A couple of years ago I was deep into RRC restoration/modification but I got rid of them, and swore that I will never ever own a english car again....especially no Land Rover.

But, thats how life goes. My wife fell in love with this D3 when we found it and we had to buy it.
And honestly, I fell in love with the concept of the car as well.

So we bought it in 2020 with 186000km on it.

Click image to enlarge

We ( our should I say my wife?) were pretty happy with the car, but I found some issues pretty soon.
Beside small things like the not working Radio unit there were more concerning things like bad cold start behavior.
I also own a Landcruiser so I wasn't familiar with this very common issue.

So I started investigating and as it is with Land Rovers...if you start searching for problems, you will always find problems

found bad injectors.

Click image to enlarge

bad map sensor
Click image to enlarge

bad EGR valves (stuck open on right side)
Click image to enlarge

a lot of rust
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and many other things....

So I started to repair the car over several months..... always just small steps. Money was quite a point after the purchase of the car itself. especially the price of the new injectors gave almost a heart attack.

And after the investment of all the time and money, a mayor blow happend:

here the standard D3 picture which every D3 owner has:
Click image to enlarge

On our family vacation a fire started during the drive on a mountain road. The left cylinderblock catched fire.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I already showed Pictures here in the forum when it happend.
The fire destroyed all the plastic bits and pieces the wiring loom timing belts air suspension AND the brand NEW Injectors.

Click image to enlarge

Anyway....NEVER give UP!! NEVER SURRENDER!!
From that day on was the new name of the D3: "Feuerstuhl"
Which is colloquial for a "burning hot rig"

So I started rebuilding it

Click image to enlarge

And when I'm already so deep into the engine, I also wanted to replace the Glow Plugs

And yes, as you all guess right, 5 of the 6 Glowplugs cracked during removal.
One Glowplug was espacially nasty.....it cracked 3 times!!!

Click image to enlarge

a the end the tip remained in the hole, and I had to get really creative to remove it without taking of the heads.
Click image to enlarge

During this work I got so Censored of this cramped full engine compartment that I decided that my engine doesn't need all of this complicated stuff.

I removed the EGR valves including all the cooling stuff.
Click image to enlarge

And with these things removed, it is much easier working on the engine. And besides this, I found some tools from the pre-owner which where stuck down in the engine compartment. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

If I would loose so many tools in the engine compartment, I wouldn't have any left. Laughing
I guess these tools where responsable for some rattling noises since the beginning.

But, finally I got all sorted out and the car was running again.

I did some fine-tuning on cylinder balance by interchanging the positions of the injectors

Click image to enlarge

at the end it was running fine,.......and I had absolutly no Idea where which injector was, is, or will be Very Happy

After that I had annual MOT test. And they found that I have to replace the steering rack because of to much play and the rear wheel bearings.

I have changed some wheel bearings in my life, but never ever was it so hard to remove the axle shaft from the bearing!

The 20ton press was on its limit!
and nothing moved at all
Click image to enlarge

not with heat, not with cold, not with hard blows of the hammer.

I even tried to loose it with a demolition hammer Very Happy
Click image to enlarge

It really took me several days and many attempts to remove them
And when they where out, I couldn't find any reason why they were so hard to remove.

The steering rack was pretty easy to replace, besides the fact that the new one didn't work and I had to replace it again.

after that I passed MOT without issues.

Since the beginning when we bought the car it threw a side-impact-sensor fault from time to time.
I always repaired this fault with hard kick against the door-panel. But now this didin't work anymore.

after a short search I found the reason for this fault. The wiring loom in the door is broken.
Click image to enlarge

If you look, you will see that every single wire is broken. Rolling Eyes Ok....I didn't had the patience to replace/rebuild the whole wiring loom, so I just replaced the two wires of the sensor and live with some funny errors like that the right mirror moves when I take a hard turn to the left. and that my windowswitch doesn't work as long as I drive a right turn. however...could be worse. Laughing

after a couple of weeks my downpipe cracked.
Click image to enlarge

finally the car got a good sound Cool
replacing the pipe was not really funny. the screws on the turbocharger are really hard to reach.

All the time driving the car (when it was driving), I found the automatic transmission didn't shift smoothly enough. And there was a light oil leak at the oil pan and the cable which goes into the transmission.
Click image to enlarge

So I did a oil change.

But, attention at all you kids at home! even when you let the oil run out of the oilpan for hours....there is ALWAYS some of the oil left in the pan! remember!

Click image to enlarge

a couple of months, or weeks, or days (time is shifting in my memory) the next issue on the highway
Click image to enlarge

The oil leakage pipe from the injectors broke and spilled diesel on the engine block. An easy fix.

After that a mayor event happend. I guess my Landcruiser got mad on me, because I always worked on the D3. So he decided to give me a little reminder of his number 1 car status and jumped from a jackstand when I was below it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And finally we had our first family vacation with the Feuerstuhl

Click image to enlarge

The next winter arrived, and I thought I was save because I already changed all glowplugs before, but never underestimate a Discovery. Very Happy
The car was hard to start when it was cold. I found that 2 of the 6 glowplugs didn't work again!
WTF? When I checked my old records, I found that I bought just medium priced spare glow plugs in OEM quality......I guess chineese OEM quality
They looked like this:
Click image to enlarge

I changed to high quality Beru glow plugs. Luckily the old ones where still easy to remove.

Then the EPB started to give me a hard time. The switch wasn't working, but the brake engaged and disengaged automatically without problems. It was a broken wire. Nothing to hard, just hard to find

Click image to enlarge

After a while the timing chains started to rattle really loud during startup. so I guessed the springs in the tensioners where weak. and yes, they where weak, but I found some other issue as well (as always)
the timing chains wher not on there marks!! the timing was ok, but the marks where not lining up with the marks on the chain. I think its not really a problem, but gave me a hint that the preowner had already worked on it and was not a "high precison" guy. and when I removed the camshafts I was really worried about the engine and the future of it and me.

Click image to enlarge

The bearings where in no good contition!
How can this happen? and how bad is it?
I found some help here, and more or less the tenor was to not be too worried about it.

Worried about Oil pressure loss in these bearings I build a oil pressure gauge. (there is a thread about it here)
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But, it is like a wise man here told me.....a gauge will never give you peace of mind!

The gauge showed me that the oil pressure is pretty low. I cannot change the bearing situation on the camshafts (this would mean to change the heads) but I can change the bearing situation on the mains and the conrods. maybe they are woren out as well. and I can change the oilpump. maybe this also helps.

so I started to open up the engine from below the car.

Click image to enlarge

The bearings showed good wear, but not tooooooo bad.

Click image to enlarge

The crank seems ok.

after installing the new bearings, and partly re assembling, I found that the screw on the front of the crankshaft didn't fit. after some research and great help from this forum it showed that the crankshaft and most likely the block itself are from 2014 and not from 2006 like my car.
I guess it already had a spinned bearing or broken crankshaft. and they changed the block and the crank but not the heads what would explain the bad crankshaft bearings.
Anyway, I used FAI bearings which are for old blocks (pre2009) now I had to remove them again and installed KING bearings which are for newer blocks. Yawn

After all, now its running again! I haven't done a prober long testdrive, but on a short slow trip it was running fine.

Now we are ready for new adventures! Lets see what time will bring!

Sorry for typos and bad grammar. I'm just an austrian guy and was alway bad at languages. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
I will corrrect them when I find them!......

cu on the trails!

Post #228592831st Mar 2022 10:34 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What great write up. Thumbs Up There is never a dull moment with a LR. Laughing
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #228593031st Mar 2022 10:54 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes Fuxl, that is a great write up. (But don't be too concerned. A few English as first language forum members destroy much more written word than you have. No offence to other forum members intended.)

You have in your short time covered so many of the problems that a D3 purchaser can expect. Don't get me wrong, they are great cars, but the lingering legacy of cost-cutting engine design and other design foibles can weigh heavily on your pocket. Mine is on its third engine.

However all in all, I think the D3 provides the best in all round driving experience when it is running well. Better than many later brands and models.

But thanks for your informative write up.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #228594431st Mar 2022 11:50 am
V8man

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Fantastic informative write up. Thumbs Up
 1996 Defender -died (now in landrover heavenšŸ˜‡)chassis to ashes , rust to dust !
2004 Defender td5 gone
2012 Evoque gone
2007 D3 V8 HSE 

Post #228597031st Mar 2022 3:39 pm
NCC-1031

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Wow. I hope I donā€™t experience all this with non. Nice way to increase your tool set. I think Iā€™ve only found the odd socket still attached.

Also you seem to have recovered from your accident with the land cruiser. I hope you werenā€™t too badly hurt. Itā€™s a great fear of mine with the weight of these things. Many many axel stands and spare hydrolic jacks in play for me.

Well done sir!

Post #228598631st Mar 2022 5:50 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Really enjoyed reading this, very impressed by your story and your patience!

Thanks Thumbs Up
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #228598831st Mar 2022 6:24 pm
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Great write up and great patienceā€¦ well done Bow down
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #228598931st Mar 2022 6:32 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

crackin write up...thanks for sharing

Post #228600931st Mar 2022 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Great write up, I read it with a lot of interest. Thumbs Up

Almost lost myself laughing at the tools the previous owner had left in the engine compartment Laughing Laughing

Post #22861652nd Apr 2022 12:25 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Excellent explanatory write up. Thumbs Up

But I have just one technical question:-

What shampoo did you use to get the oil out of your hair Question

Laughing
 šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æ  
Post #22861722nd Apr 2022 1:10 pm
Fuxl

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 3

A simple answer to the technical question:

Brake cleaner! Lots of Brake cleaner!
The panacea and deodorant of the modern man! Wink Very Happy

actually, there is already a new story about our Feuerstuhl. Laughing

I think nobody believes my storys about this car, because it is statistically implausible that all of this happens just with one car in such a short time.

I did my first proper testdrive after the bearing change. Rolling around in the village was no problem, but I wanted to see what happens when I ask for some power. So I went on the highway.....

90kmh...all fine
110kmh...all fine
130kmh...all fine, sounds good
140kmh...........BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM

I almost had a heart attack! debris raining down all over the highway.... (actually, it was looking pretty cool)
the explosion emerged from the front left fender. and the rotating wheel dispersed the particeles in that pretty awesome looking flower shaped cloud that spread over all 3 lanes.

after the first "heart attack" moment, and the second "woooow thats cool!" moment came third "OH Censored ! what just happened" moment.
I thought that the engine has just spit out all the pistons, BUT.......the engine was still running! And it sounded absolutely fine. no weird sounds, no smoke, all fine.

When I stopped at the side of the road I found the problem immedeatley.

Click image to enlarge

The fender flare got loose, and was sucked into the wheel arch. and there it got vaporized by the wheel. Laughing

I checked for all of the screws and clips.......they are all in place and fine.
So I guess it was spontaneous self destruction

Anyway...the engine is still running! so I'm still happy! Mr. Green

Post #22864014th Apr 2022 8:40 am
classic kev

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

That is some story, you are a trooper without doubt Bow down . I think most would have cut their losses and walked away. Good job, I hope you can now enjoy your car and only need to do routine maintenance. BTW there is no known cure for Land Roveritis, it attacks the central bank balance through the wallet and is also known to cause a form of insanity that includes self-harm - working for hours in the cold, skinned knuckles, lacerations, bumps and bruises, occasional burns and that sort of thing. Sounds like you got it bad Wink

Post #22865915th Apr 2022 11:54 am
altblech-schrauber.de

Germany 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Du hast fast so viel Ƥrger mit deiner Gurke wie ich mit meiner hatte Very Happy

Great write up! We all know the pain.. Driving the worlds most reliable car Very Happy

Post #22868577th Apr 2022 7:35 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

and people who recognize this vehicle reliability are only ones buying it as they know it will deliver them everywhere and always Wink unlike Toyotas Wink

Post #22868637th Apr 2022 8:01 am
Bicycle repairman

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Fantastic effort, brilliant story of man and machine! Even though I always use axle stands at home I always shove the wheels under the car as added protection. Glad you're all mended and enjoy the fruits of your labour with many more happy miles in your Disco.
 D4 GS let the retro fit begin
Heated steering wheel
Aftermarket TPMS
Double Din head unit satnav and TV
Reverse Camera
Cubby fridge
Door panel upgrade
Mood lighting
Digital Dash personalised
Back lit sun visors
4.5 Facelift front, rear and memory mirrors
Stainless bumper tread plate