Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Feeling the road when coasting between 35 - 38 mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Feeling the road when coasting between 35 - 38 mph

Hi Guys & Girls, took me newly acquired D3 out on its first long days work Friday just gone, total of over 560 miles in one day (just like it did when with HA).

Going into the stealers on Monday, though I'd just throw this one your way ?

When you coast at between 35-38mph with both hands gently on either side of the steering wheel, you can feel vibration coming back up the steering colum almost like you might when driving a non-4x4 vehicle on a smooth concrete motorway. This feeling is intermitantly at certain parts of the wheels natural reveloution. This is also accompanies by a low volume "wurring noise" if you open the drivers window and listen as the speed decreases, again in idle

The vibration is noticeable, but not annoying. I was aware of it during my journerys, but put it down to the fact that I had a car trailer loaded on the back!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction ahead of it going into the stealers? Thumbs Up

It has normal goodyear wranglers, with in vg condition, all round, correct tyre pressure (as if carrying 4 passengers & luggage according to the pressure chart, give the weight of any towing load).

Post #24418512th Jan 2008 11:03 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

What's the vehicles total mileage?

Post #24418812th Jan 2008 11:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

192k with a 191k service just done the week before christmas, the previous 176k done two months earlier, both by LR, but two different ones ! Neutral

Anything I should be looking for on the history, ie "this should have been changed at such and such miles"

Post #24423213th Jan 2008 12:48 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

With that sort of mileage it sounds like normal 'wear & tear' FFS you can't expect 'showroom' condition after the equivilent of 6+ years distance travelled - regardless of the surfaces traversed!

Post #24424013th Jan 2008 1:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Its probably just thrumming from your Wranglers - they are not the quietest tyre.

Post #24443913th Jan 2008 6:56 pm
character

10forcash wrote:
With that sort of mileage it sounds like normal 'wear & tear' FFS you can't expect 'showroom' condition after the equivilent of 6+ years distance travelled - regardless of the surfaces traversed!
Yes....... the question was " does anyone know what it might be " so I can get it sorted. I dont want to here "its sounds like wear and tear" so what!

If anyone has something more constructive to say beyond 10forcash, please post, it will help to indirectly save me some dosh if I can direct the tech to the right end of the car to look !!!! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #24462514th Jan 2008 12:07 am
character

Just seen a thread in maintance section of this site headed up "10,000 miles with the brakes on".... I think we might have solved our problems..... we are only getting around 21.8 mpg which kind of rings true now !!! Mr. Green

Post #24463914th Jan 2008 12:43 am
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

G'day Character

I can understand your frustration. About eight months ago a mate of mine (also a Disco 3 owner) was driving my vehicle and asked me if I had noticed a shudder between 55 and 60 km/h and sometimes at a higher speed. I had not as the roads around me are pretty bad, but after he mentioned it, I certainly noticed it. It is more apparent when under power and taking off from a stop or going around a slow corner and then putting on power. The shudder is felt more through the vehicle than the steering wheel. Big Cry Big Cry

I did the normal things, had a wheel balance and wheel alignment done but the shudder was still there.

I took it to the local dealer and fortunately the head mechanic noticed it during our test drive. They kept the vehicle for a few days and came to the conclusion it was in the tail shaft assembly. They stated that the vehicle was still OK to drive. After waiting for a month for a new tail shaft to arrive, the tail shaft and new universal joints etc were fitted. Guess what - still there. Back to the dealer and they had the vehicle for a further few days and had to go back to LR for an answer. Mad Mad

Eventually LR came back with the answer that the problem was in the software. Yeeeaaahhh . Rolling with laughter Censored OK. So back to the dealer for a couple of days for a complete reload. Guess what - shudder still there. Censored Censored

Have now been told that the problem is in the transmission and a new gear box is required.

The vehicle is currently in getting a new gear box fitted. Bow down Bow down

We await the outcome. I will most probably end up with a completely new underbody.

The Disco has done 71,000 Km

Love the vehicle but this is starting to really annoy me.

Regards

PS. I have not listened to it with the window down - should have done so
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Post #24470114th Jan 2008 9:01 am
Neil Pettersen

Bob,

What sort of flak does the Dealer get with these
very expensive repairs that are not the solution ?
They must be upto Aus$6000 plus labour so far Shocked

Neil.

Post #24470614th Jan 2008 9:13 am
character

Hi retiredbob, thanks for that, it helps a lot, just cut and pasted your reply to the LR stealer, we shall wait and see but on the ramp as we speak!!! Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Post #24473114th Jan 2008 10:25 am
character

Update re the problem for yer.... like a laugh, ok got it back yesterday, technician claims it could be one of 3 reasons:

1) Tyre worn (rubbish coz the same stealer did a 4 wheel optical alignment) and a visual report saying both were at 5mm one week before christmas
2)The front wheels were out of balance (wrong, just had them re-balanced today so that I can show they are)
3)That the vehicle needs a, wait for it "4wheel optical alignment and by the way will cost you a staggering £175 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Well, the tyres arent worn, the wheels have been re-balanced and the vehicle had opt-alingment only 700 motorway miles before and it still drives the same Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #24583715th Jan 2008 11:39 pm
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Went past the stealer this AM and the Disco was up on the hoist.

Just as I was typing this they just rang to confirm when I wanted the vehicle returned. Have agreed for next Monday.

As a matter of interest I asked if they had picked up anything wrong inside the gear box and he said that they do not take the gear box apart, they send it complete back to LR for analysis - so we wait and see.
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Last edited by RetiredBob on 17th Jan 2008 8:07 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #24590916th Jan 2008 3:23 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

character wrote:
Update re the problem for yer.... like a laugh, ok got it back yesterday, technician claims it could be one of 3 reasons:

1) Tyre worn (rubbish coz the same stealer did a 4 wheel optical alignment) and a visual report saying both were at 5mm one week before christmas
2)The front wheels were out of balance (wrong, just had them re-balanced today so that I can show they are)
3)That the vehicle needs a, wait for it "4wheel optical alignment and by the way will cost you a staggering £175 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Well, the tyres arent worn, the wheels have been re-balanced and the vehicle had opt-alingment only 700 motorway miles before and it still drives the same Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Uneven tyre wear on Freelanders was quite renowned for causing road noise - and there is nothing to say your alignment wasn't out >before< it was done before Christmas, it could be the resulting wear that is causing the noise, not the alignment itself maybe.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #24593616th Jan 2008 7:48 am
character

We shall wait and see!! Mr. Green

Post #24644816th Jan 2008 11:48 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you are experiencing tram lining then you need to get the ball joints and steering rack checked if your tyres are known to be good.

Post #24645617th Jan 2008 12:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >