Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH on all the time and very smokey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndyGreen

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
FBH on all the time and very smokey

Although temps are low at the moment , 2 - 5 degrees, I noticed a smell like a paraffin heater lately, and this evening, driving down a country road I pulled over to look at the moon (through my new Image stabilizied binos I got for xmas!) and when stopped but with engine running there are clouds of smoke comimg from the pipe of the FBH, even with the engine at normal temp.(coolant around mid 70's according to my GAP IDS controller.

I read some of the threads which suggest it can be normal , but I never noticed quite so much smoke from it before.

I'm going to pull fuse on it in the morning to be safe in case something drastic happens!
Is it worth getting the diagnostic loom and Webasto software or is it likely a permanent fault.
Recently it was getting hard to start and I cleared the fault on it several mornings in a row (on the GAP IDS) and it ran away and warmed the engine nice and quickly.
Any thoughts on how to proceed appreciated!

Post #19094521st Feb 2018 10:40 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I cant offer much advice apart from google your symptoms as many many cars/trucks/boats have the same fbh and there is literally a lifetimes worth of reading out there.
If it were mine I would go for new glow plug and gauze and a good degunk of the internals.

On the trucks whenever we had a smokey one it was new glow plug and gauze but I often suspected the new gauze alone would have cured the problem, there was a also a small hole/channel behind the gauze that other mechs reckoned caused the smoke as when the gauze blocked up so did this hole.

Post #19094601st Feb 2018 11:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >