Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Faultmate problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
moorman

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Faultmate problems

Anyone had problems with the cables supplied with Faultmate MSV Extreme. Cant get my Panasonic Toughbook to talk to server. Tried to install Vehicle explorer on another computer only to find this computer can't communicate with the server for the set up. Methinks the cable/s could be flubbered. Have tested the gender changer cable for continuity and seems ok but the USB one is more sealed up unit. These have not had a lot of use so disappointed if they are knackered. Amazon sell what look like replacements anyone used them.

Post #221966123rd Mar 2021 3:52 pm
Ivan

United Kingdom 

ISTR that when I had my MSV I also had troubles with the cables. Got no help from Black Box solutions so in the end I got an IID tool.
Much better after sales service.

Ivan
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #221966923rd Mar 2021 4:21 pm
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 
Re: Faultmate problems

moorman wrote:
Anyone had problems with the cables supplied with Faultmate MSV Extreme. Cant get my Panasonic Toughbook to talk to server. Tried to install Vehicle explorer on another computer only to find this computer can't communicate with the server for the set up. Methinks the cable/s could be flubbered. Have tested the gender changer cable for continuity and seems ok but the USB one is more sealed up unit. These have not had a lot of use so disappointed if they are knackered. Amazon sell what look like replacements anyone used them.

The cable from the PC to vehicle sever is just a serial cable so easy enough to make up with a couple of DB9 connectors and cable. Not that I use it for the D3 or D4 but my faultmate works quite happily on my Toughbook for older Landies.

Post #221976023rd Mar 2021 8:13 pm
daimlermg

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

After not using mine for a number of years (I know its a long time for a D4 not to have a fault Shocked )I had forgotten to run the Vehicle explorer as Administrator in windows 10. Embarassed

Just a thought

I use a serial cable connected to a serial to USB then a 4meter USB with built in booster to reach the garage when the car is outside.

If you look on the BBS forum there is a section about leads that might help
http://forum.blackbox-solutions.com/index.php
 Faultmate MSV-2
500,000 plus miles in RR,s and trying for more without breakdowns this time Smile
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's
Had for 40 years but now gone 1935 Daimler and 1937 MG 

Post #221988924th Mar 2021 10:17 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I sometimes had a problem with my MSv on my toughbook connecting, I found if I go in to the device manager on windows and delete the com port, then reboot and reconnect the lead it found the MSV ok. had to do it quite a few times, but not used my MSV in about 5 years.. Shocked

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #221994324th Mar 2021 1:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
moorman

Thanks to all contributors. Finally got connected when I found a serial port hidden behind a trap door on the Toughbook so dispensed with the usb to serial cable which is knackered I think, and got my fuel heater running amidst much smoke. I did try another Laptop using Windows 8 but there appears to be no driver available for the cable so will investigate another cable. There is one on BBS site but quite expensive.
Finally got my steering column back in as well with the steering angle sensor sleeve glued to the column with stick like s**t. Now fingers crossed it stays put.
Does the Gap tool do everything that the fault mate does and what's the chances of the thing failing to work in the future as phones move forward in leaps and bounds. Does the gap work on the iPad?
Must be my Discos birthday as it got a new Yuasa battery as well courtesy of Halfords using trade card.

Post #222005224th Mar 2021 8:51 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes the gap tool does everything better and so much easier to use, it will work on you're ipad or the phone. The support from Gap is second to none. I use my IID on my mini ipad.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #222006324th Mar 2021 9:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveKK

Ukraine 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Just make sure you get the Bluetooth version. There will be some ISB versions out on the second hand market, bit only Bluetooth if you are buying new.

I would guess that the Bluetooth IID has been used on many different devices and apps exist for Android (Google Play Store) and IOS (Apple Store). I've only contacted Gap support once and considering they are based in a timezone at least 5 hours behind the UK, the response was excellent.

In the 18 months I've had the tool is has more than pair for itself in saved diagnostics, plus you don't have to worry so much about what a problem could me as you can read the codes.

Regards,
Steve

Post #222013325th Mar 2021 9:01 am
moorman

Thanks to all for help and guidance, looks like a gap tool on my Christmas list (birthday just gone). Have been disappointed by Blackbox. I did meet someone from Blackbox many moons ago at a Land Rover show and questioned what the back up was like as they were based in Cyprus and was told not a problem. I think they get round some issues with the get out clauses like being competent with a computer. That in itself is a problem for me as I was brought up on slide rules and log tables. Ive had to get into the computer age but it can be a near vertical learning curve. I moved to Apple some years ago as I got fed up with the Bill Gates stuff which required lots of tea while it cranked up and even more when you shut it down and as for MS/dos I lost the will to live. The Faultmate seems to be clunky and very old in its design. I do most diagnosis on a Foxwell NT 644 which goes everywhere with me and is easy to operate. I also use VCDS for VW/Audi group stuff and that updates seamlessly and is brilliant. Blackbox don't appear to want move forward which is a pity.
Hopefully lockdown will end and we can enjoy driving again (except to Barnard Castle to test your eyesight) Laughing

Post #222022825th Mar 2021 7:40 pm
Ivan

United Kingdom 

I had an issue with my Faultmate MSV and it went back to Cyprus for repair (at considerable expense). I told them the exact sequence to take to replicate the issue. They replied back that they could not find any issue with the Faultmate. Eventually they sent me a video of them trying to replicate the fault. They were simply turning the machine on and off gain and not following the sequence as I described it. It was then that I decided they did not have a clue. My Faultmate was eventually stolen from my car. When I asked if I could just buy the new hardware and use the existing licences I had already paid for (which were a big part of the cost) I was told "because of security we can't just re-instate your licences". WTF
The after sales service from Black Box is a joke. Their senior after sales person Ron is an idiot as it was him that did not follow clear instructions to replicate the issue.
It was at that point I purchased an IID tool. Much better after sales service and someone who actually knows their product.

Ivan
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #222028226th Mar 2021 9:16 am
moorman

Update on Faultmate and Windows 8. New USB to serial cable from Amazon and the driver I installed last time and it works on Widows 8 as well now just in case the Toughbook dies. Very Happy

Post #222156031st Mar 2021 7:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >