Fault mate to rent or buy local
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
chm

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Fault mate to rent or buy local

Hi all

Going to Namib in June.

Does anyone have a fault mate (the small basic one) they are willing to rent out. Alternately is there any local sales channel?

Many thanks
 regards, Carl-Hein  
Post #79900621st May 2011 4:40 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The local BBS sales channel is listed on the Blackbox-solutions website, but they didn't really know much about the MSV last time I spoke to them, and I am still waiting for their quotation, so I just ordered direct from the online shop. If you pay BBS to do the forwarding then the freight works out much cheaper, then you just pay the VAT when the unit arrives and voila.

I would be a bit scared to lend/rent my unit out, TBH, seeing as it has multi-vehicle licenses for D3, D4, RRS got that cost me the earth and I wouldn't know where to start again if it got lost or damaged.

I think Bearman was selling his Faultmate at one stage, not sure if he did tho. Maybe send him a PM

Post #79910922nd May 2011 4:43 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Chm pm sent!
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #80008225th May 2011 8:16 am
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The Faultmate FCR (the small one) locks itself to the VIN of the first car it's used on. So borrowing one isn't really going to be much use to you if you do need to use it.

Very handy bit of kit otherwise!

Post #80039525th May 2011 10:19 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Fault mate to rent or buy local

chm wrote:
(the small basic one)

Check the Sponsor page there is someone selling the FCR (read and reset codes only) for a good price (Ex UK though GBP 125) will cost GBP 21 to convert to disco compatible

Post #80068126th May 2011 6:51 pm
Nico G4-2

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
I have FCR - if you want to see

I ordered from BBS directly was posted and arrived in SA no problem. In fact very good service from them.

I wanted the bigger model but decided against it - still not sure but the price diff is there Whistle

So if you want to see all the faults it reads on my Disco - pop me a mail / PM. I am in Pretoria

Nico

nv d i e m e n @ law (the rest you know) oops did I try and stop some s p a m hitting me Rolling with laughter It has become really a spam e-mail world. Please end s p a m ...anybody
 Nico

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus: Ex-CT Tdi Disco
'05 BOV - Big Orange Van: TDV6 D3 G4 - Hit a COW the animal kind
'11 BBB - Big Black Bus: D4 HSE 5.0 V8 - busy with MODS
'16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
SWAMBO ... Small black number - RCZ 

Post #80073426th May 2011 8:06 pm
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
ANDROID? Kiwi Bluetooth

RichardB wrote:
The Faultmate FCR (the small one) locks itself to the VIN of the first car it's used on. So borrowing one isn't really going to be much use to you if you do need to use it. ...

Could this work on a D3 ? http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/car/e661/

"The Kiwi Bluetooth is a plug and play wireless device that connects to your car's OBDII port (right below the steering wheel). Kiwi Bluetooth comes attached with a 6 ft OBDII cable for easy installation. It also comes with a power switch built-in to prevent the need for having to constantly disconnect your unit from the OBDII port. You can use it in any vehicle born in 1996 or later, whether it's a sedan, truck, SUV, or even a hybrid. Once the device is connected, you can download one of two recommended car diagnostics apps from the Android Market and begin to monitor all sorts of stats about your car"

Maybe ... Question
 "None of Nature's landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild"
John Muir 

Post #80170830th May 2011 2:55 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There is a plethora of generic OBDII systems available on any and every platform with often loads of nice screens and gimmicks for very little money. And these offer to cover vast amounts of vehicles.

The reason for this is quite simple. Generic OBDII is a legislated standard forced upon all vehicle manufacturers. It means manufacturers legally have to provide some information about emission related aspects of their vehicles in a pre defined format, such that any Tom Dick or harry can very easily write software to access it by simply reading the how to book that is widely available for a few quid.

This most commonly means some aspects of the Engine management system and possibly the Auto Box ECU.

However this is a double edged sword and while vehicle manufacturers were forced to provide some basic emission related information, it also gave them reason to protect other much more potentially valuable information.

So now any Tom Dick or harry can provide a cheap solution to read the engine temperature, RPM or other simple stuff, those seeking to provide anything more detailed like Synchronization coding data, or anything at all from any of the other 29 Plus ECU's your D3 can have fitted now have to negotiate sophisticated 32 bit anti access rolling code security algorithms.

This is of course not easy or cheap to do, but at least explains why you see cheap generic stuff available for so little, while equipment that can access all ECU's costs a fair bit more.

Post #80174530th May 2011 5:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

BBS SPY wrote:
... So now any Tom Dick or harry can provide a cheap solution to read the engine temperature, RPM or other simple stuff, ... any Tom Dick or harry can very easily write software to access it by simply reading the how to book that is widely available for a few quid ... equipment that can access all ECU's costs a fair bit more.

Thanks BBS SPY Thumbs Up

I would stay away from writing and accessing or tweaking CPU configuration, etc; speaking for myself.

I wonder if anyone has so "hacked" into the CPU yet ...
 "None of Nature's landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild"
John Muir 

Post #80197731st May 2011 9:15 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

in a nutshell, there are two kinds of devices - the fairly inexpensive "read & display" units, and the units that can actually reset faults, modify settings and upload new software.

There is little point having the fault code displayed if you can't reset it or disable the system, IMHO

Post #8024741st Jun 2011 4:29 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Anthony since when is your opinion ever humble Whistle Mr. Green

Post #8036165th Jun 2011 7:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chm

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Thanks all, I imported a unit and leave for Namib on Saturday !
 regards, Carl-Hein  
Post #8053769th Jun 2011 9:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >