Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fault codes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Fault codes?

In March we plan to head off into the 'bush' for upto 6 months. Last year we were away for 16 weeks and 20k, our major problem was a starter motor that died (luckly close to a dealer on way home) and a broken cable to upper tailgate latch (over 1000km from anywhere).

The D3 has now travelled 110k and gives occasional errors (seems to be due to brake light globes), is sensitive at startup to battery charge (Special programs off, etc.....) and on the odd occasion drops to access height overnight.

The question is: Is a unit which reads and clears fault codes (such as Faultmate FCR which is mentioned on this site) a worthwhile addition to my toolbox?? - I am no great bush mechanic or tech head.
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #5606925th Dec 2009 8:49 am
XX03

United Kingdom 

In my opinion 'Yes'.

I purchased a Faultmate for Fault Codes and diagnostics.

Reading the Fault Codes at least gives you a pointer to where the possible problem may be, It won't tell you exactly what to do or change.

A Fault Code reader that gives you also a description of the fault code really helps as you then dont have to go to a chart or the Internet to find out what the code relates too.

WARNING.......Have a read up on fault codes, do a google search on DTC codes, as part of the code denotes if it is a generic code or manufacturer specific code.

Hope this is of help, just my opinion anyway.
 Formerly Blakey  
Post #5611046th Dec 2009 2:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >