DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fault Codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4
Fault Codes

Dropped my car at the stealers last night, spoke to them 16:30 today to see if they found out what was wrong with it, they said it had 5 pages of fault codes logged Shocked reset the codes then went for a test drive, thought they had fixed it by just clearing the codes as he said sometimes this will do Question Question They took it for a longer test drive and sure enough, Bong, transmission fault, limited gears, special programs off, suspension fault, lowering suspension, EPB fault, HDC fault, DSC fault Big Cry was informed that it is now connected to the machine to see if they can find the fault, Evil or Very Mad they've had it all F Censored ing day

Anyone been told about 5 pages of fault codes and can simply clearing the codes cure the problem Question
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #29837313th May 2008 5:58 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Only if I supply them with a false ID, giving my date of birth as 12th May 2008 Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #29838913th May 2008 6:53 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Hi,
The problem with the D3 is the plethora of fault codes that can be listed, caused by a multitude of reasons.
You only need to leave the keys in the ignition, which may lower the battery voltage to set a CAN communication code in most control modules.

Most fault codes generate a snap shot of the fault, when it happened etc, this can aid fault diagnosis. The problem is, most Technicians have a very limited amount of time to find the fault, & can't spend forever chasing dead ends. This is the reason they reset all codes, then test drive & see what comes back. Bear in mind Landrover pay very little to the dealer for diagnosis, so time is of the essence, rightly or wrongly.

I would suggest most D3's have a dozen or more fault codes stored all the time, most of which cause no stmptoms & very limited problems, or may co-incide to an event you may have noticed a couple of months ago, like that rare non start, which when you tried a second time it started OK.

That said if you have warning messages etc, then these are usually more prominent codes which can usually be acted on.

I try to read codes, snapshot data, & descriptions to try to build up a idea of which codes are common & when they are important, for example, I find weak key signal in virtually every code read I do, but the owner hasn't had a problem.

To answer your question, a reset of codes will never 'cure' a problem, but may make it easier to find on subsequent interrogation.

HTH
Regards
Steve

Post #29844613th May 2008 9:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This is what worries me with the D3, there is probably a small wiring fault somewhere and it Censored the whole thing up with not a chance of finding out yourself.

The best of luck.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #29844713th May 2008 9:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flinty99

England 

SteveNorman wrote:
like that rare non start, which when you tried a second time it started OK.

I wish this was rare on mine. It happens at least one a week. Its been in the dealers on a number of occasions and they can never find the route cause.

Any suggestions I should give them?

Its in again on Thursday to a different service centre for its first year service, so any advise is welcome.

Post #29850413th May 2008 10:43 pm
Hobgoblin

Thanks for your replies chaps Thumbs Up

Steve N, that makes a lot of sense Thumbs Up
Post #29851613th May 2008 11:08 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Best thing to try is use the spare/other key for a few weeks, if all OK you know it's a key issue. If the same then it's a car issue.

When you take it in ask them what fault codes are found relating to non start?

Regards
Steve

Post #29854714th May 2008 6:13 am
flinty99

England 

Cheers Steve - I will do just that.

I have tried both keys so I', sure its more car side.

Post #29866514th May 2008 1:25 pm
Hobgoblin

Had a phone call from the stealer earlier, the techie has been working on it most of the day but can't find what the problem is, they spoke to LR and were advised to take it for a test drive with the computer plugged in, so off they went for 20 miles and couldn't recreate the fault, my question to them was, surely if you had the fault code yesterday you should know what the fault is Question his reply was that after clearing the codes again they couldn't recreate it Confused , he asked me if it would be ok for the techie to take it home tonight with the comp plugged in, I said alright providing he parks it somewhere safe, he then said that if the fault didn't show itself they would have to take for a longer test drive tomorrow Mad so I asked him that what was the point in them driving around in my car using my diesel Question I can do that Exclamation then suggested I'll call them in the morning and if they still don't know what the fault is I'll come and get it and if the fault shows I will drive it into them with the fault showing, he said that may be a good idea Shocked so it would seem the long and short of it is that they don't have a f Censored ing clue Big Cry
Post #29877114th May 2008 6:29 pm
CG

which particular Stealer are you using, I will add them to my list of ones to avoid.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #29887614th May 2008 9:42 pm
Hobgoblin

Shukers Shrewsbury, or should that be phukers Question Evil or Very Mad
Post #29887814th May 2008 9:45 pm
CG

oh dear - I was preparing to move my business there from the idiots in Wolverhampton. Sad

Is there any dealer worth going to ?

Post #29890014th May 2008 10:01 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

It is always advisable to printout all faultcodes beforing clearing, & at least look at the relevant sections Shocked

Best you do as you say, you drive it, take it straight back after the fault has occured.

As for which dealer? Most would follow this route, rightly or wrongly. Neutral

Regards
Steve

Post #29900915th May 2008 6:35 am
Hobgoblin

I was going to ask them if they would give me a copy of the printout.
Post #29902415th May 2008 8:28 am
willie_ekerslyke

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I've been getting this on mine for a few months now. Spoke to my dealers, they reckon its low voltage. ie battery issues and to be fair it usually happens if its been sitting around or not used on a long run for a while.

I plan to get them to replace the battery before the warrenty runs out

Post #30233923rd May 2008 11:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >