Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Fault code 22 "Reference resistance wrong"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
hotti

Norway 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I bought a used webasto end then it work,i think the fault is in the printplate on the old one..

Post #22607707th Nov 2021 2:23 pm
spiderlane

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks.

As the winter is coming I decided to have another try at getting the FBH working. After removing, stripping and measuring all the component specs again, I was convinced that the problem was with the electronics, as has been suggested.

So I bought a FBH from a breakers with a view to assembling a working unit from both. In fact I just extracted the circuit board from the donor unit in the end as the rest of mine was in excellent condition throughout.

To cut a long story short, it now works with the new circuit board. A few observations :

* There may be something in the 800 hours thing but I'm still not entirely sure. The replacement board shows Working Hours - 254:28 and Operating Hours - 17487:57 (where as the old board showed a Working Hours in the thousands. I'm still not sure I understand this; if the limit is 800h, wouldn't my old one have stopped at exactly 800?

* When connecting both the new and old boards to the diagnostics on the bench, I would always get a "81h EOL Checksum Error" on start up. This would clear fine and stay gone until next start up. Interestingly this doesn't happen when the board is connected to the car power. I wonder if there is some characteristic of my bench power supply which is doing it? (It's rated 5A and I set the voltage at about 13.5V constant voltage)

* Manual Heat seems to make no sense to me! It never seems to do anything (I know that you need ignition off and engine on to enable the button); perhaps the ambient temperature is too high? However Timed Climate works as expected.

* I cannot get the Webasto diagnostics to fire the heater at all. I've tried v2.14 and v2.16. If I choose Parking Heat or Parking Heat EOL absolutely nothing happens. (if I choose options like Auxiliary Heat, then I get an error "Access Denied : NAK". I even tried connecting up the CANBUS leads to see if this made a difference. It did slightly by starting the cabin fans, but would not fire the heater no matter what I did. Anyone got any ideas why this is the case? I'd really like the ability to be able to fire the heater from the software (all the individual component test functions work independently, so it's definitely sending commands to the unit)

Cheers
Mark

Post #226155211th Nov 2021 12:38 pm
spiderlane

Having a working FBH now and being all set for the winter I had the luxury of a non working board to play around with. I was fascinated by Alex's comments about the 800 hours and decided to dig into it further.

As mentioned I couldn't quite follow that YT video but I found some more information on a Russian forum and with the help of Google Translate was able to understand what was being said

With a bit of trial and error I was able to update the EEPROM to reset the "Working hours" counter. I'd previously missed the fact that the old value of 56797h and 221m was a bit odd; how can you have a value 221 minutes when you have an hour counter too?

I found out that the working hours value is stored in 3 bytes in the EEPROM; one for the minutes and 2 for the hour. The minutes value was decimal 221 as shown above and the 2 bytes for the hour interestingly also work out at decimal 221. (221 * 256 + (221)) = 56797. So perhaps this is an error condition or some sort of max value (although a byte could store values up to decimal 255)?

For my version of the EEPROM the values are stored at 05F7, 05F8 and 05F9. I reset these to 0 with the Webasto software in engineering mode. You have to be very careful here so as not to destroy the checksum of the data and brick the unit. I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you're confident you understand what you're doing and why (and also accept the likelihood of breaking your heater)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Anyway, re-installed it back in the car, cleared an 81h EOL Checksum error which seems to come up all the time when I start up the unit, and it works perfectly!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So thanks very much to Alex for the steer about the working duration limit. Hope this information helps advance the collective understanding of the issue.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by spiderlane on 14th Nov 2021 2:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #226211514th Nov 2021 2:28 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Someone is very likely to run into this issue again sooner or later, so well done for working through it and posting back your successful efforts. Thumbs Up

Presumably the "key" indicator here is FC 22?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #226212014th Nov 2021 2:44 pm
ragpicker

Absolutely first class work Spiderlane and Alex.

Rocket science! 🤯

Post #226213914th Nov 2021 3:29 pm
spiderlane

Thanks ragpicker, I was merely standing on the shoulders of giants Smile

Post #226216214th Nov 2021 5:41 pm
Daniel_o

Poland 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Hi Mark

I'm sorry for my english.

I have a question for you. How did you deal with this problem?
Cable change? i can't solve this problem

* I cannot get the Webasto diagnostics to fire the heater at all. I've tried v2.14 and v2.16. If I choose Parking Heat or Parking Heat EOL absolutely nothing happens. (if I choose options like Auxiliary Heat, then I get an error "Access Denied : NAK". I even tried connecting up the CANBUS leads to see if this made a difference. It did slightly by starting the cabin fans, but would not fire the heater no matter what I did. Anyone got any ideas why this is the case? I'd really like the ability to be able to fire the heater from the software (all the individual component test functions work independently, so it's definitely sending commands to the unit)

Cheers
Mark[/quote]

Post #226843021st Dec 2021 8:50 pm
spiderlane

Hi Daniel

I never did manage to start the heater using the Webasto diagnostics.

For my testing, I just set the timer on the timed climate to come on in a few minutes. So if it was 11:35 I'd set it to come on at 11:37 and then wait until that time and monitor with the diagnostics.

It made the troubleshooting a bit slow but it worked.

Cheers
Mark

Post #226843221st Dec 2021 8:55 pm
Daniel_o

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply.

So I have to code the time climate function into the car.
This function does not exist in the vehicle settings.

Best regards
Daniel

Post #226844621st Dec 2021 10:34 pm
spiderlane

Hi Daniel,

Ah yes, I had to do the same. The function wasn’t enabled on my car but was able to code it using my IID tool.

I also now have the Altox remote control unit fitted (which is excellent) so I can fire the heater whenever I like now using the Altox app.

Cheers
Mark

Post #226845922nd Dec 2021 8:19 am
Daniel_o

Hi Mark

Ok, I'll use the interface to add the time climate function.

But I still can't open the dataset tab correctly in the WTT v2.16.1 program. At the end of reading memory, I get a process abort message. So I can't edit the hex code.

I'll send you the screenshots.
imag1 in 10 seconds after start ( battery 11,4V)
imag2 in 25s
imag3 n 120s
maybe you can suggest something .

Reg.
Daniel

Post #226851122nd Dec 2021 2:04 pm
spiderlane

Hi Daniel,

I'm not an expert with the WTT tooling but I do know that it's very easy to brick your heater so proceed with caution! I take no responsibility for this advice, but on my heater I found that the data set length was 1680 and you MUST use the "No Checksum" button when reading and writing the EEPROM otherwise you'll end up wiring an incorrect checksum back into the data and you will get a constant 81h error.

I used information from these posts :

https://www.drive2.com/b/495552640491454625/
https://www.drive2.com/b/488036653881884816/

If you are attempting to re-set the working hours just bear in mind they might be stored at different locations in your firmware to mine. Proceed at your own risk Smile

Cheers
Mark

Post #226851322nd Dec 2021 2:28 pm
Daniel_o

Ok,
What is life without risk. Smile

Daniel

Post #226853522nd Dec 2021 4:03 pm
spiderlane

Indeed! Good luck. Just wanted to make you aware so you can make an informed decision Smile

Post #226853622nd Dec 2021 4:07 pm
Daniel_o

Hi
Complete success.
The stove is working properly.

Daniel

Post #226951328th Dec 2021 5:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >