Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

FAILED MOT ON SILLS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Landybandy

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

@lynalldiscovery I will be taking it to a workshop tomorrow. Thank you for your optimism, it is calming I must say. What sort of money do you think I should be looking at paying for this?
Both sides driver & passenger. I have no idea what to expect, so don’t want to be going in blind.

Post #208400215th Sep 2019 7:30 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Landybandy wrote:
DSL wrote:
Wouldn’t they have to take the plastic covers off to see that rot, something I didn’t think they did for MOTs? Confused

As stated in previous comments on this thread, when the car was on the ramp he could see the inner sill separating from outer sill. He Poked his screwdriver through and it caved in like a meringue.

Missed that. Embarassed

Post #208400615th Sep 2019 8:04 am
kayble

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Landybandy wrote:
@lynalldiscovery I will be taking it to a workshop tomorrow. Thank you for your optimism, it is calming I must say. What sort of money do you think I should be looking at paying for this?
Both sides driver & passenger. I have no idea what to expect, so don’t want to be going in blind.

Would recommend you take the rear wheel well covers off so repairs in the wheel well/around the body mounts can be assessed - if needed. Just peeling them back by the sills won't give the full picture.

This is a fairly uncomfortable video to watch - of the inspection of a super rusty Discovery 3 on a 55 plate.

There are some expletives in the video - so maybe mute whilst watching if need be. Can't take credit for the video - it was linked to in another post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sInzm1YItw

Post #208414915th Sep 2019 7:11 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ref the video , Wonder if he had side steps fitted , Plus see it was never picked up on his mot

Post #208415215th Sep 2019 7:26 pm
Landybandy

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Landybandy wrote:
DSL wrote:
Wouldn’t they have to take the plastic covers off to see that rot, something I didn’t think they did for MOTs? Confused

As stated in previous comments on this thread, when the car was on the ramp he could see the inner sill separating from outer sill. He Poked his screwdriver through and it caved in like a meringue.

Whats done is done, but Im pretty sure the mot guys are not allowed to poke at pretty much anything, they do have a silly little plastic hammer that they are allowed to use.

I reckon that will repair well and reasonably easy for a decent welder.

Any fab shops in your area? they will be able to make that panel on their brake press, in fact I reckon a bench mounted sheet folder will also do the job.

Well I had my quote today £900 4 days labour. I think that is pretty good. Disco is going in on Monday to be done. I shall post pictures when all work is complete. Thanks everyone for your input & advice. Without this forum ownership of a Landy would be quite lonely.

Post #208448216th Sep 2019 9:12 pm
kayble

does that include inspecting the rear wheel wells?

Sorry to keep beating on about it - but I'd be kicking myself dropping money on the sills only to find I'd only addressed part of the issue.

Post #208450316th Sep 2019 9:58 pm
Landybandy

I checked early this morning, rear wheel wells are spotless. I always managed to get plenty of wax oil coated up & around there. Same goes for the spare wheel well. The front end of vehicle does not look a day old. Incredible

Post #208451416th Sep 2019 10:41 pm
kayble

all the best with the repairs - would be interesting to see some pictures of how it proceeds if the shop is willing to take them.

As it happens, I was round an industrial estate a day or two ago where there's a number of car repair/body shops etc. I spotted an '07 D3 with the outer sills cut away in areas - revealing corrosion on the inner sections. suspect it had side steps (it looked quite high spec) originally - I bet they won't be going back on once it's repaired!

Post #208498818th Sep 2019 1:10 pm
Landybandy

Well mine certainly won’t anyway. On the plus side the wife thinks the disco looks better without them.
As for the photos I will ask him. But the finished job will be posted on here once all work completed.
Thanks

Post #208501318th Sep 2019 2:58 pm
Landybandy

Any advice please guys. I have taken all the inner wheel arches off to make it cheaper on the labour costs. I have noticed running up the inside of the drivers side sill is the rear heating coolant pipes. Also running up the inside of the passenger side is the rear air con pipes. I gather these will have to be removed for the welding? What I want to know has anyone had anything to do with the removal of the rear heating coolant pipes. If I remove them, does the system have to be bled or not & if so is there a specific protocol for doing this.
Many thanks

Post #208538819th Sep 2019 7:20 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would hazard a guess the coolant will self bleed as all the kit is lower than the engine, a/c pipes will be more of a pita.
The long one by the sill is easy to access with air tank removed, the one from the rear of the sill to over the rear diff is a bit of a swine!

Some people blank the rear a/c as the blank pipe is about 60 quid versus 150 for each section of the rear ones and there are 4 rear ones.

Post #208542119th Sep 2019 9:04 pm
Landybandy

Well my welder contacted me today. The inner sills have had it, so he will have to make those up too. Total cost has risen to £1500. An increase of £600. I will say I have total confidence in him that my baby will be done right. He is relaying the photos to me as he is doing the work.

Post #208663624th Sep 2019 3:28 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Prompted by this thread I decided to check my 05, 190,000 D3. I was expecting the worst but the sills look fine. I have owned the car since new so know how it has been treated and looked after. I can’t believe washing out the ends of the sills once a year could have helped avoid this problem. Mine have not had any wax of dinitrol in that area. Puzzling.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #209119710th Oct 2019 1:01 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Landybandy

Hopefully all is done by now & you have your car back on the road Thumbs Up

A update/final report would be welcome.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #209124410th Oct 2019 4:04 pm
Landybandy

No it’s not ready yet. I’m waiting a phone call anytime to pick it up. He did ring me last week to say been snowed under. He is a good guy, so I said take as long as it takes. I just want a good job. I think I can’t say fairer than that. We have another vehicle, so transport is not a problem. I will upload the pictures as soon as.

Post #209125310th Oct 2019 5:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >