Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Europe

ETC and differentials
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
snafu

Italy 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
ETC and differentials

Hi, i'm italian so sorry me for my poor english...

Last friday i bought the a brand new discovery 3 2.7Diesel HSE my08 (automatic gears, satellite navigator plus, etc.. etc..) but i still asking me "do i need to rear differential blockable?". Here in Italy it is and option and i did't put it cause my land rover shop said that the central one electronically blocable and all the ETC of the car is enought.
First of all you need to know that i'll never do offroad but in the winter time i'll go every weekends to the italian mountains to go snowboard so 100% i'll need to go up and down to mountains roads full of snow.

I need to understand how is working the ETC and the 3 differentials.

I know that the central differential is electronically and automatic blocked for the car and that the rear differential is not blockable (it's an option).

With the central differential i'm ok if one o both wheels of the same axle (for example the front axle) are sleeping.

But id are sleeping two wheels of a different axle (for example the right front wheel and the left real wheel) am i stocked? In this case in a regular 4x4 i need to look the rear differential or the front differential but i can't in the discovery 3.
So in this case how is working the etc in the discovery 3? I'm really stocked or the ETC will help me and keep traction on my car?

Can you help me to have no doubts?

Thanks in advance.

Post #20122110th Sep 2007 12:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Marco

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hallo from Germany!
My engish is not better!

The ETC breaks the slipping wheelspeed down, so the force gos to the wheel how has gripp and you drive forward!

You must stay an the gas then the ETC begins to work, when you order the rearaxel Diff, you don´t need to stay on gas!

Normaly you can drive the same streets like one with rearaxel diff look!

Hope to be helply!
 Byby Marco

http://www.off-road-forum.de 

Post #20604120th Sep 2007 6:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

The centre diff equalises power between the 2 axles and turns on and off automatically. In the situation you describe traction control would brake the spinning wheels and hopefully you would regain traction. I wouldn't loose sleep over not having the rear difflock, unless you are doing serious offroad work you aren't likley to need it.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #20606020th Sep 2007 7:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >