Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 31 of 36 <123 ... 303132 ... 343536>
Sylvek73

United Kingdom 

Hi
Sorry I am new here , donโ€™t know if this is right place to ask .
I bought D3 tdv6 from Copart , clearly emergency hand break was pulled, now I got amber sign , when pull up the switch I can hear winding up noise until stop but when release the switch I can hear winding noise down , no noise on pressing switch down .
Could you kindly advise me where to start please

Post #22764571st Feb 2022 7:35 pm
andrewc2102

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If the emergency cable behind the handbrake switch has been pulled then you have no option but to follow the process of pulling the cover off the handbrake module (probably unjamming) and winding the motor back until you can relatch the release cable.

Until you do this it will be as you've described, the motor will spin which is what you're hearing but the cables to the shoes won't be pulled.

Post #22764581st Feb 2022 7:49 pm
Sylvek73

United Kingdom 

Thank you, you just confirm what I donโ€™t wish to do ๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ž , seems no option but go under and do just that,
Thank you

Post #22764601st Feb 2022 7:52 pm
andrewc2102

No problem, I would highly recommend doing the method I was advised of going in from the spare wheel well and flipping the module 180 degrees.

Post #22764621st Feb 2022 7:55 pm
Sylvek73

United Kingdom 

Thank you, will crack on this one tomorrow after work, and will post how I get on despite l have Parkinsonโ€™s, sounds horrible but I decided to not give up and I did find my new future -Discovery car mechanic ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Post #22764681st Feb 2022 8:02 pm
Sylvek73

United Kingdom 
EPB -Help

Hi
Where to start- I have solid amber P , error code U 0128-87 lost communication wit module , but when lift parking switch epb winding cables as should but when let go than unwinding it self? I did change parking break switch from working Discovery no different.Under advise I open EPB and to my surprise everything working and look as should .So I am in big puzzle where to look next ?
I would appreciate any indication in next step.
I even made short video of it but no means to post here or I donโ€™t know how to ๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ž

Post #22772695th Feb 2022 4:43 pm
andrewc2102

Have you adjusted the the handbrake shoes as per Bodsy's brake bible, with the torque wrench etc?

It sounds to me like you hand brake shoes are way out of adjustment, if you haven't removed the rear discs and done a full tear down, clean and reassembly of the handbrake this is where I would advise you start.

A video of the module would be helpful if you can manage to upload one, maybe upload to youtube and link to here?

Good luck.

Post #22777747th Feb 2022 9:58 pm
Sylvek73

United Kingdom 

Hi
Please see attached UTube
I did the hand break, when you hold switch in up position this engage hand break so the wheels are solid , soon as I let go the switch the hand break disengage and wheels move freely.

https://youtube.com/shorts/90mjUQG9KfA?feature=share

Post #22778168th Feb 2022 8:17 am
andrewc2102

Thanks for the video, I can see that you have relatched the manual release cable and the module isn't jammed. My advice would be to do the following in this order:

1. Teardown the rear brakes, check shoes, replace shoes if necessary and clean / grease / rebuild and adjust to the letter outlined in the brake bible: https://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/...1.4sml.pdf
2. Clear all handbrake fault codes
3. Attemp to activate handbrake

Hopefully this should sort you issue, from what I've read 90% of issues with the module are actually caused by the handbrake and shoes being out of adjustment or seized up.

If your issue still remains after this then at least you know it's not the brake shoes / drums themselves.

Post #22778388th Feb 2022 10:03 am
Sylvek73

United Kingdom 

Thank you, will update on my repairs

Post #22778428th Feb 2022 10:15 am
Slartibartfast

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

@Disco_Mikey

Thanks for the great info and photos. Just fixed my D3 for a total cost of Zero. Happy days Very Happy

Post #228737410th Apr 2022 2:23 pm
willie.macleod

United Kingdom 

I've had the dreaded locked up handbrake after shoes went out of adjustment and the EPB locked up requiring manual release. Thanks to this site I've managed to unjam it manually and cleaned/readjusted the shoes - they were hardly worn at all and the previous owner had replaced the cables and fittings not long ago. I took the whole EPB unit off the vehicle to check the gears inside the motor gearbox, they were all OK.

However, things still aren't right - the EPB will not apply. With the unit back in the vehicle and the brake shoes adjusted as per Bodsy's guide I try applying the brake using the switch and hear the brake motor running, it pulls the cables tight but then releases straight away, the brake won't stay on. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this auto releasing?

It's a very early manual Disco 3 so it doesn't have any auto releasing features.

Post #229624018th Jun 2022 6:19 pm
willie.macleod

United Kingdom 

Update on my previous post - left the vehicle overnight with the battery disconnected. Seems to have done the trick! Handbrake now working as expected. Thanks to @Disko_Mikey for the guide.

Post #229648920th Jun 2022 6:33 pm
ndrew

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Another day, another Disco owner spared a bunch of expense from an unnecessary EPB module replacement.

Thanks, Disco_Mikey โ€” followed your great guide the other day and sorted the EPB. After getting stuck in clay up to my axels in outback NSW the other week, I was a bit slack cleaning the car properly. Cue screaching from the EPB a couple of weeks later.

Stripped down both rear brakes, cleaned and re-installed the shoes. Got under the car, swore lots and managed to eventually unjam the unit. Readjusted the shoes, pressed the button andโ€ฆ you beauty!

Thanks for an awesome guide.

Cheers,

โ€” Andrew

Post #23068207th Sep 2022 11:34 am
MintyHit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I did this recently and have a few extra tips.

1. You can use a +12v supply to wind the motor in or out (depending on which way you connect it) using crocodile clips directly on the motor pins. Just unplug the two wires to the motor and connect your own supply.

You may still need to unjam with some force but it will save you a lot of pain doing it a 1/4 turn as a time manually.

I used a jump starter pack but you could even go from the rear cig lighter with some long leads.

2. A previous poster suggested it is possible to rebuild the entire module in situ without removing the cables. I can confirm this is possible.

If you can release the mounts then you can angle the module down so that see what you are doing. There are 4 screws holding the gear assembly in and you need to remove both cables first. One unscrews from the brass rod. The other has a white plastic retainer which once removed allows you to unhook the cable from the latch end.

You need to unscrew both large plastic caps from the end of the module to pull the cables out. There is a hex nut on each to make this easy.

3. Root cause is nearly always the handbrake shoes. I would replace shoes, springs and adjusters before repairing the module.

I repaired the module first with old shoes and even though I adjusted them correctly it still jammed again.

Post #23068267th Sep 2022 12:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 31 of 36 <123 ... 303132 ... 343536>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >