Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EPB problem, mechanically seems OK but seems confused
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D@rren

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
EPB problem, mechanically seems OK but seems confused

So I have been having issues with my EPB and am trying to work through the problems to get it working again.

Currently it is mounted to the car and the cover is off so I can see what it is doing. If I pull the handbrake switch then the motor runs but the threaded rod actually unwinds and does so past all of the thread leaving one of the brake cables disconnected and then get a handbrake failure warning on the dashboard.

Out of curiosity I swapped the wires over on the motor and when I do this the handbrake does apply when the switch is pulled. It goes in till there is about 2 cm of travel left and then I get the classic screeching sound where the gears start slipping. At first I thought this was either the gears being stripped or the force sensor not working. Having it connected to an icarsoft reader shows that at the point where the screeching stops the force sensor readings go from about 60Nm to about 1400Nm which to me suggests that the gears are indeed OK to apply force and that the force sensor is indeed working. I can only assume that with it wired in reverse the motor is not being stopped because the car is not looking for a high value on the force sensor.

This makes mew think that mechanically the system is OK, and with 2cm of travel left when the brake is applied that the shoes are close to the right adjustment so the problem lies more in the control side of it and despite my best efforts I am now a bit stuck!

Currently there are 2 fault codes:

C1A53-68 1/2
State: Intermittent
Electronic parking brake latching failure, emergency release has been activated
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
C1A43-00 2/2
State: Intermittent
Motor supply circuit

The second one may be due to last trying to apply the handbrake with the engine off and the battery voltage at only about 12v

Any ideas what I can try? it feels like it is close to being fixed but I am missing something. When applying the parking brake would it normally try to wind out the cables as much as it can?

Post #23413836th Jul 2023 9:58 am
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I think the first thing that I would try would be to adjust the brakes rather than assume that they are Ok.

With the motor wired as you have it now, (screams on application), does it release correctly?.

I am assuming that the operating switch is unaltered. That is push down to release, pull up to apply?.

Post #23413946th Jul 2023 12:48 pm
D@rren

I did adjust the brakes as part of what I have done so far and have used this more as confirmation that they seem to be OK.

With the wires on the motor inverted the handbrake applies but the motor does not stop when it should, it then will not release, I assume this is because the car thinks that the handbrake is not applied.

It's nearly as if the car is trying to wind out the cables to relatch the parking brake (which with the wires reversed is putting on the handbrake) and then its not trying to apply the handbrake. With the wires the right way round it is unwinding the brake completely to the point it is no longer threaded. if it is trying to relatch the parking brake (which I believe it does try if the emergency release had been pulled) What stops it unwinding before it goes too far?

As far as I know the handbrake switch is wired up as normal, I have not taken it out so will have a look at that later, but when you get the message on screen to pull up to apply handbrake only pulling the switch up does something, pushing it down does nothing

Post #23413986th Jul 2023 1:06 pm
D@rren

I hope I am making some progress now.

I have got everything back together and it feels like its nearly working but not quite.

Now if I pull the handbrake lever the motor runs and pulls the cable in about 1cm, maybe slightly less and using the iCarsoft the EBP force sensor reads around 200Nm but then will immediately unwind all the way and the gearbox makes the nice screech as it is pushing the rod against the end cap of the brake cable.

I am now getting an error code of C1A43-00 Motor supply circuit when this happens, although as the motor is running in both directions I am not sure how the supply circuit can not be working!

Any suggestion to try next? I was thinking to try readjusting the parking brake shoes again but not sure if this will change much. I was expecting it to try and apply the parking brake with more force than 200Nm, I am sure I have seen it should be more around 1000Nm.

Post #234209814th Jul 2023 8:31 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you checked that both cables are free. The other thing would be if you pulled the emergency release has it latched back up. Bodsy's Bible tells you how to adjust the shoes in each rear wheel.

Post #234230116th Jul 2023 8:04 am
McMannon

United Kingdom 

Hate to revive an old thread especially as my first post here but...

Darren here is the only one i've come accross experiencing the EXACT same issue as myself, so I was wondering if he ever got a solution and by chance might reply back

Post #237582024th Aug 2024 4:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >