Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine swap TD 2.7 to TD 3.0
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Engine swap TD 2.7 to TD 3.0

What are the chances of swapping a TDV6 2.7 with a TDV6 3.0 in a D3.
I stand to be corrected, the 3.0 was derived from the 2.7, still goes
into the same space in the engine bay as the D3, so the external
engine lay out should still be the same. So it could well be a bolt off
bolt on exercise, the big trick would be the electronics, my thinking is
using as many of the STD D3 engine sensors etc, so as not to change
the ECU, and may be do a remap to get the fueling sorted.
It could be a future proposition, any thoughts.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #82592115th Aug 2011 3:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

if you compare the engine bay of the D3 with the D4, whilst "some" bits look the same, but there are masses of components that are different, and thats just what you can see !

for example simple things like no dipstick so youd need s/w - h/w to read and display the levels for starters..

im guessing it would cheaper just to buy a second hand D4.

but then it would be quite an achievment and satisifying if you could do it Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #82592315th Aug 2011 3:31 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The difference in canbus operation suggests that the engine ecu could only be fitted to a D4 where all the other ecus and wiring are compatible. EG, the canbus wires to the suspension ecu has been moved to spare spots in another connector.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #82606015th Aug 2011 9:50 pm
Discoeast

May be I should put it another way, lets leave the ECU and other
fiddley issues out of it for now. If I were to put the two engines
next to each other, transferr all the electric/electronic components
from the 2.7 to the 3.0, then in theory I would have a working
engine to put back. I know it sounds too simple, the object of
the thread was to see how far we could get with interchanging
the parts and fool the ECU into thinking nothing has changed.
Yes changing from twin to single turbo, will it fit, swop the
injectors, will it fit. etc, once this has been established, then
go the next step. So I'm looking for input from those who
work on these engines on a regular basis and would know
where what would/could fit. It would be nice if you duffed
a motor and could slot in a 3.0 replacment.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #82612116th Aug 2011 8:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
abernanteagle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I thought I read somewhere they were completely different engines - certainly an extra turbo on the 3.0 - so don't know if the engine mounts are in the same place, although given the body and chassis are essentially unchanged I guess it can be made to fit. Seems like a lot of work though.

Post #82614516th Aug 2011 9:54 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That would be an achievement, this lot http://www.bodylogicuk.com/90265/info.php?p=11
may help with Quest? Whistle
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #82614616th Aug 2011 9:58 am
Gav00353

Ireland 

I have just bought a 2010 rrs 3.0engine and auto box to do this myself, the price was right!! Maybe I'm mad but after driving my other d3auto a lot recently I whant to go auto with this one as well, the unit is still on the back of my lorry but it will be in the workshop soon to examine it more thoroughly, I too had the idea of changing over the sensors etc if possible although I do have the sport ecu etc. I had a quick look so far but that doesn't tell me enough. Be handy to know if the gearboxes are the same? If not it will be for sale. I'll keep you posted on the info as I get round to it, I don't think it's going to be a weekends work!!!

Post #82623216th Aug 2011 2:08 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Your issue is more likely getting the engine ECU to talk to the other ECUs. The D4 communicates differently.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #82623916th Aug 2011 2:32 pm
dtest

United Kingdom 

You could always just keep the D3 ecu...the engine will run but will probably need a program similar to a twin turbo Jaguar 2.7 set up....it would be a good starting point Smile

Post #82624016th Aug 2011 2:40 pm
Discoeast

Quote:
You could always just keep the D3 ecu...the engine will run but will probably need a program similar to a twin turbo Jaguar 2.7 set up....it would be a good starting point

Now that is the whole idea, but I was thinking of going the remap route, there are a few reputable companys allready doing the remap for the 2.7 for more power, could they improve the program further to match the 3.0 out put and may be + a little more to equal a remapped D4, would be a nice spin off MMMMMMM.

Gav00353,
If you could take some pics of that engine, with as much detail as posible would be nice, hopefully some one may have a 2.7 on the floor who could do the same. Where are you planning to install that 3.0 motor ?
Post #82625216th Aug 2011 3:28 pm
dtest

United Kingdom 

I think BABEN is your man in South Africa

Post #82625816th Aug 2011 3:52 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

thanks Dtest!
I am indeed a man Smile but not Koos's man Rolling with laughter he's a bit hairy for my liking Thumbs Up and he's got no boobs

Koos - Interesting question. Yes IMHO you could probably rig the 3.0 up with a 2.7 ECU with a custom map and make it run. It would probly take a bit of experimenting but has to be possible.
The difficult part would be all the non-critical stuff - getting the consumption/temp readings onto the D3 dash, checking the oil level etc.
I would rather spend the blood sweat n tears on getting a TDV8 into a D3 Twisted Evil I reckon it would be less effort on the whole

Post #82626916th Aug 2011 4:34 pm
Gav00353

Ireland 

I should get the motor in the workshop this weekend then take lots of photos, my plan was to use the 2.7 ecu if poss then see Pete bell if it was possible to put a 3.0 map in the 2.7 ecu? I have a fault mate so that may not be too much of a problem. We will see!!!

Post #82628416th Aug 2011 5:38 pm
Discoeast

I
Quote:
am indeed a man Smile but not Koos's man Rolling with laughter he's a bit hairy for my liking Thumbs Up and he's got no boobs

Anthony does this mean your dumping me Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
The V8 would be nice but sounds like a big expensive conversion, a 3.0 with a TT and I think you could be on par.
A swop would be far cheeper for the net HP gain, so if you could retain the D3 electrics/electronics, able to swop all the sensors from one engine to the other, there is not much left to convert, like drilling a hole for a D3 dip stick. The only real problem I see is the fueling side, would the D3 ECU work with the D4 injectors or could they be swoped and the mapping.
Post #82646717th Aug 2011 7:33 am
Discoeast

Gav00353, great Thumbs Up keep us up to date.
Post #82646817th Aug 2011 7:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >