Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine stalling off-road - again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Donald

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Biz, have a think about this.
GGS mode = long pedal travel, slow acceleration, starting in highest gear possible, all designed to help in low friction situations.
Sand mode = short pedal travel,rapid acceleration starting in second gear and holding it for as long as possible before changing up.
In sand if you get stuck and continue to spin the wheels you can only go one way - DOWN! By the fact of the car stalling in this situation makes for an easy recovery.
Your first attempt in the correct mode did not produce a stall.
Also there is no need to switch off, remove key, replace etc, simply engage HDC PRIOR to attempting a hill climb and should you fail and stall HDC will take you back safely.
You should take some tution to learn the newer Land Rover driving style and what the systems can and cannot do.
However remember peoples safety should always come first.
 Chipped, K&N, tow pack, AT2's, Mantec, fridge in boot, invertor, Garmin, laptop/Memory Map, Optima yellow top, Traxide Kit, Phillips Extreme bulbs  
Post #7835227th Apr 2011 5:28 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks Donald, but...:

Donald wrote:
Your first attempt in the correct mode did not produce a stall.

That only happened because I lifted off the throttle as soon as the car started spinning. (In my prior stalling experience, it had been GGS throughout). I then used sand and "manual" 1 and 3 respectively exactly because of the rapid acceleration in an attempt to get as much momentum as I could... Confused

Donald wrote:
Also there is no need to switch off, remove key, replace etc, simply engage HDC PRIOR to attempting a hill climb and should you fail and stall HDC will take you back safely.

I assume you are referring to my first experience; during that, I did have HDC turned on while attempting the hill climb (it was quite steep, it was deeply muddy and covered in grass too Shocked ) Back then as I recall, the car spinned frantically for a few seconds (I didn't switch DSC off admittedly), then just stalled, at which point it started sliding back, with my foot on the break and the engine still switched off. HDC did not at any point (to my knowledge) get involved - I thought it relies on the engine running to work anyway? The cure to restart the engine was to completely remove the key (turning it did nothing) and start afresh.

Donald wrote:
You should take some tution to learn the newer Land Rover driving style and what the systems can and cannot do. However remember peoples safety should always come first.

Yep, that's in my plans for as soon as is going to be possible (see question about LR Experience earlier on) Thumbs Up - and, of course, people's safety is what I always have in mind anyway Rolling Eyes

As I've said, I'm not trying to dodge the blame of off-roading inexperience with the D3, just this "stalling when the going gets tough" reaction has me puzzled/worried...
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #7835297th Apr 2011 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Donald

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Okay, in that case there was possibly no traction to be had due to the surface conditions - which would change due to your repeated attempts - then if the weight off the car caused it to slide backwards as you powered the wheels forward it would stall.
If you had your foot on the brake you would over ride HDC causing it not to work.
 Chipped, K&N, tow pack, AT2's, Mantec, fridge in boot, invertor, Garmin, laptop/Memory Map, Optima yellow top, Traxide Kit, Phillips Extreme bulbs  
Post #7835507th Apr 2011 7:05 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Wheels trying to push you forward but you are going backwards. Your decent had begun and you have not a hope in hell of controlling it when wheels are turning that way.

On a recent visit to LRE in ice and snow they were teaching that in this situation keep driving in forward gear as it slides back down the hill with the wheels turning forwards. Very difficult to do after a lifetime of the technique of getting into reverse as quickly as possible.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #7836067th Apr 2011 8:49 pm
discoBizz

Donald wrote:
If you had your foot on the brake you would over ride HDC causing it not to work.

Bow down That I was not aware of Shocked Back to school me thinks Whistle

Navigator wrote:
...they were teaching that in this situation keep driving in forward gear as it slides back down the hill with the wheels turning forwards.

...which we established(?) will stall the engine Confused
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #7837258th Apr 2011 8:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yeah - I'm not sure I believe that stalls the engine (on purpose), and Navigator's tale seems to confirm that it shouldn't... Confused
 2001 D2 GS (I must be mad!)
2005 D3 S 10-12 (gone and missed) 

Post #7837268th Apr 2011 8:08 am
discoBizz

...which kind'a brings us back to square one I think... Is the stalling of the engine on an auto a normal (ideally documented) feature when spinning (over a certain amount of time/revs???) and/or sliding in the opposite direction? If not, surely it's a fault? And if it is, with quite a few members reporting it happening, wouldn't someone have insisted on a resolution?

I'm more Confused Confused now Big Cry
Post #7837278th Apr 2011 8:20 am
DaveS

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

An automatic Disco 3 will stall if it rolls back on a hill while in a forward gear. This occurred and was discussed during a revent Land Rover Experience session that I took.

I would have though it less likely if the wheels were still spinning forwards and the car was sliding back. However, it might well happen when the car slid back far enough to find some grip again.

Post #7837558th Apr 2011 10:20 am
PerthDisco

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have similarly had the experience on large sand dunes that the car when faced with the impossible climb just stalls at the last point of movement. Had me beat how an auto could do this - I thought some sort of diff-lock was in play.

This thread explains a lot if that is the cars response to an impossible situation.

What I would like to know from the experts is how the turbo likes this. When you are absolutely flogging the car in sand dunes I never shut it off without an idle period. That is what I have always been taught with, especially with diesels. At the point the car does its auto-stall the turbo must be white hot.

I guess you will start it again straight away in most cases.

Yes - absolutely must disengage DSC if you want to go anywhere on sand. Very frustrating till you work that one out!

Post #7837568th Apr 2011 10:21 am
discoBizz

DaveS wrote:
An automatic Disco 3 will stall if it rolls back on a hill while in a forward gear. This occurred and was discussed during a revent Land Rover Experience session that I took.

Dave, that seems to contradict Navigator's writing above though Confused

Sorry to insist, but I really want to understand this issue and the closest LRE who teach in a language I can understand is 1000km away at the moment Sad
Post #7837898th Apr 2011 12:08 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

What was demonstrated, and then carried out separately by two drivers, was keeping the wheels going forward. The explanation was it "kept the HDC working where going to reverse would not". No-one tried letting it stall, either deliberately or by accident. It just slid backwards until stopping with wheels spinning (forwards). I'm not convinced though - I like to be in the same gear as the direction of travel!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #7838218th Apr 2011 1:43 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Reverse torque on an autobox will stall the engine. I've done this once and it's slightly scary until I remembered I had HDC on and knocked the car into neutral to move back a couple of feet to where I could restart. Essentially, letting the wheels run back when in a forward gear can stall you.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #7839648th Apr 2011 8:47 pm
discoBizz

Navigator wrote:
..."kept the HDC working where going to reverse would not"...

Don't D3s have HDC in reverse??? I'm sure the manual says they do Exclamation

Found it, page 164 of the electronic manual:
Quote:
In Vehicles with automatic transmission, HDC should only be used in D, R and CommandShift 1 in high range and in D, R and all CommandShift gears in low range.
Post #7841479th Apr 2011 2:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >