Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Engine oil topup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Gadimai

Nepal 
Engine oil topup

Hi friends I have a 12 made discovery 4 in which I did the first engine oil change at 5000 Kms as recommended by the dealer here in my country,when changed the oil showed below the max line,by another month the oil reduced to two lines above the OK level,last week I was out for a long family tour in which I did around 1200kms and the vehicle now has done around 9400kms in total and when I checked the oil level in the digital meter now it showed one line below the OK level, I went to the dealer here and they said it is normal with the synthetic oil and they added 300ml now the the oil is two line above the OK level,now iam worried if it continues to reduce then I don't think it's possible for me to do long trip like 4000kms in a go,theres no leaking of the oil anywhere to be seen so is this normal with the discovery 4 using synthetic oil? Is this just me who have encountered with this?or will it be normal after I do around 15000kms?iam just worried and would highly appreciate your right suggestion. Cheers.

Post #107205615th Mar 2013 4:42 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I also have a 2012 D4.

Mine has now done 13600 miles (22000 km) and hasn't had any oil added since it left the factory. The level is currently two marks below full. So based on this, your car is using a lot more oil than mine does.

Thumbs Up

Post #107206315th Mar 2013 4:51 pm
Dinsdale

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I have a MY 12 and my understanding is that the automatic oil level scale is only relative and it can change from reading to reading even with exactly the same amount of oil in. Also depends on exactly how long you leave the engine to cool before you take the reading.

It specifically says in the handbook that no matter where the bars are on the scale if it Says OK then you DO NOT put any oil in. When it drops below a certain level the readout panel TELLS you how much to put in. In other words you do not work from the visual scale ONLY from what the message tells you to do.

This is unusual and some garages may not fully understand it. These engines can suffer badly if OVERFILLED. So I would read your handbook and do EXACTLY what it says Thumbs Up .
 If it don't fit the third time - try a bigger hammer  
Post #107206715th Mar 2013 5:04 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Both my D3 and D4 stabilised after 15K MILES - so I'd wait a bit longer
Also recall handbook states that consumption increases in Hot / High conditions - maybe just like Kathmandu - especially when compared to cold damp Manchester

Post #107206915th Mar 2013 5:08 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Dinsdale wrote:
I have a MY 12 and my understanding is that the automatic oil level scale is only relative and it can change from reading to reading even with exactly the same amount of oil in. Also depends on exactly how long you leave the engine to cool before you take the reading.

It specifically says in the handbook that no matter where the bars are on the scale if it Says OK then you DO NOT put any oil in. When it drops below a certain level the readout panel TELLS you how much to put in. In other words you do not work from the visual scale ONLY from what the message tells you to do.......

Sorry to go on about this again...I don't give a Censored about technological advancements that just don't deliver
The electronic oil level gauge is one of them (I haven't a D4 - but have the same stupid system on my XK)
you are in a quandary finding out just how much oil is in this critical item. I wouldn't care if the good old fashioned dipstick was prone to failure or didn't give accurate results.......it is whats called a fundamental instrument - it hasn't got moving failing parts & doesn't need calibration...because it can't fail it is a failsafe system..unlike the electronic device.
I have already asked Jaguar f I can have a dipstick fitted as an aftermarket accessory as I am Censored off either waiting for the system to give a reading or just getting error messages...when I want & need to know what the bloody oil level is.
Overfilling & not being able to see a low level are distinct & very costly possibilities with an electronic oil level system.

LAND ROVER / JAGUAR PLEASE READ & UNDERSTAND THAT OWNERS (CUSTOMERS) OF VEHICLES SUCH AS YOU MAKE ARE WELL CAPABLE OF OPENING THE BONNET ON THIER VEHICLES, FINDING A DIPSTICK & USING IT....ITS A BASIC CHECK THAT NEEDNT BE "AUTOMATED"
AUTOMATION FOR AUTOMATIONS SAKE IS NONSENSE WHEN & IF THE SYSTEM FAILS EXPENSIVE & PREVENTABLE DISASTER LOOMS
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #107211215th Mar 2013 7:18 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Dipsticks can fail too and they are a pain to get out when they do.

Not got used to the electronic display. I posted elsewhere that it had dropped 2 levels one day and recovered the next; not encouraging.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #107211615th Mar 2013 7:26 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

Robbie wrote:
Dipsticks can fail too and they are a pain to get out when they do.....

Robbie...not being argumentative
...but could you please explain the failure mode of a dipstick ?
&
how many have you actually seen fail ?...other than maybe the wrong stick fitted by the vehicle maker

OK
- you have to actually use it...[i]but when you do it gives an instant true readout

- it could break off....but these days the wire device is pretty robust
- you could lose it or forget to put it back...but these are failures that are behavioural not systemic...human failure

Question: could it give the wrong reading ?...well I suppose it could if you didn't put it all the way in when "dipping"- another human failure

I predict that vehicles fitted with electronic devices in time when they get old & crotchety will cause countless preventable engine failures either from overfilling or not displaying the true level....when all thats needed is a simple oil level check.
Also without a dipstick you cant see the possibility of water contamination or if the oil is excessively dirty

In any system the rule usually is KISS...keep it stupidly simple....especially when it interfaces with humans

Maybe an olde fashioned view - but I know lots who would agree with me on this.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #107212615th Mar 2013 7:45 pm
DeeJay

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

I carry out the electronic check quite regularly, being a bit paranoid about oil levels this going back to my old series 2A days, that used plenty. I was told by an instructor at the LRE that they do use a drop at first due to the porous nature of the block etc. My D4 was 3/4 full at delivery, and just last week showed just below 1/2 and said it needed 1.1L so I put 1 litre in and that took it to just below full, checked it a couple of times since and it is still at that same point. D4 has done 3700 miles, I would prefer a dipstick, but the electronic system seems pretty accurate though. Rolling Eyes

Post #107213715th Mar 2013 7:53 pm
Robbie

BLFarrar wrote:

Robbie...not being argumentative
...but could you please explain the failure mode of a dipstick ?

No problem; here is one from the forum:

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic79482.html

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #107214615th Mar 2013 8:00 pm
BLFarrar

Robbie wrote:
....No problem; here is one from the forum.....

OK - as I said human error.....what I am talking about is an important system fitted to what is not a low cost vehicle...a system that is expected to work.

the point I am trying to make is the original post pointed out two maybe three issues:

Problem / issue 1) a new car that has quite large oil consumption...diesels do burn a bit more oil when new - it will depend on temperature, altitude, style of driving, the load the engine is subjected to....I do not for one minute consider the "porosity of the block" sorry whoever wrote that its Censored ...not to the extent it looks like oil consumption..leaks maybe..& ot is a Landrover that is designed & built to leak a bit

Problem / Issue 2) The oil level system is either unavailable cos of something in the system..& its never there when you need it like when you want to know..which is plain stupid / ridiculous /impractical / inconvenient / poor technology & crass

Problem / Issue 3) When you are either convinced you have to add oil ??? from a second rate system that may or may not work...it wont accurately display when you have got the right or optimum level....with the possibility of having too little or worse still too much.
...this has the propensity to create a Fourth Problem / Issue

Robbie, sit down, think about this, the consequences, the scope for error....the cost of fixing the issue, the inconvenience for such a simple basic thing. I dip the sump on my D3 at least once per week or big journey, not just habit - but a check my late father (a brilliant engineer / motor mechanic - RASC trained - battle hardened supporting vehicles in the Western Desert) MADE me do "dont forget or ignore the basics"....checking oil level is a basic.
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #107217515th Mar 2013 8:44 pm
Robbie

I'm already sitting down but I think you need a lie down, or at least a beer.

Diagnostics for:

Post #107217915th Mar 2013 8:51 pm
BLFarrar

Cheers !

Old Crafty Hen.
Get one in Yerself......
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #107222915th Mar 2013 9:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I have seen a lot of cars with dispticks broken, many moder cars have plastic ends on the dip stick whcih breaks off, if oyou are lucky it lays in the sump with no issues if not so lucky it rights off the engine, so there are issues with the good old dipstick as well. As for the electronic measures, Renault have had electronic dipsticks for the last 25/30 years and there cannot be that many issues with them or I am sure they would have gone back to a standard dipstick.
Yes the D4 one is apain in the fact you have to wait for it to settle after the engine has been run, but if you get used to checking before starting it is not a major issue. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #107228415th Mar 2013 11:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

200 & 300tdi dipsticks, could (if the bolts came loose on the tube) slip further into the sump and give a high reading when the oil was actually low.

I think it is a case of people not liking/being sceptical about new technology. Look at it from the manufacturers point of view. Most people (probably not many on here though) do not check their oil ever; anyting that makes it easier is good therefore?! I could get in my D4 in the pouring rain check the oil without get my hands dirty.

I have yet to hear of a d4 electric guage fail, but if you check the oil regularly (which is easy with this system), it is unlikely that you will drop 2 litres (may be considered critical) before you notice the fault?

Oil levels will vary, dependant on how much oil is still up high in the cylinder head and in all the oil ways, and depends on how level the ground is.

Also bear in mind that it tells you if oil is required. Dropping 1, 2 or 3 bars is not a dramatic oil use between services.

A typical burn rate for oil used to be a litre every 10,000 miles, hence top up bottle provided at services!

Just my 2pence worth Smile

Mark.
 Gone: 2010MY 59 plate Bali Blue HSE.
Also gone : 2012MY 12 plate Firenze Red HSE.
In Bits : 2005 55plate 4.0 V8 Ibex 250s SW. 

Post #107239616th Mar 2013 10:19 am
adam

United Kingdom 

IMO the electronic system on the D4 is OK - I check it every morning - piece of p**s
The dip stick on the D3 was difficult to get an accurate reading anyway

Post #107241116th Mar 2013 10:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >