Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Engine oil leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tunny

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Engine oil leak

TDV6 Second trip back to LR Dealer today for my Disco after I spotted a engine oil leak just a week after purchasing it a damp crossmember being the indicator. They replaced a turbo oil feed/return pipe bolt the first time so they informed me.
After another 500miles I was asked to return for a inspection but spotted it still had a leak which is now running down the bell housing and onto the near side suspension arm. The result today is it will now need to return in a weeks time for the body lifting off as they believe a Camshaft oil seal is leaking at the back of the block!
This is now the second one to enter the LR Dealer with a Camshaft leaking in recent weeks.

Mine has just turned 59,000mile on a 2011 plate.

Post #14696186th May 2015 10:33 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I had this conversation with my local dealer a few months back due to the same symptoms as you on my 2.7 TDV6.

See: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic120061.html

We came to the conclusion that I have a very slight oil leak coming from the rear camshaft oil seal on the nearside bank of cylinders (so slight that I don't need to top up the oil between services).

Hunters in Southampton claim they can do this job with the body on. They have some special tools that enable them to do this and they have had some success with several 3.0 SDV6 D4s with exactly the same issue. There is clearly less room at the back of a 3.0 SDV6 than there is at the back of a 2.7 TDV6. Hunters quoted a book time of 2.5 hours to do this job with the body on.

I would recommend you try some other local dealers as they may well be able to do this job without removing the body.

If they are taking the body off to do this there are plenty other jobs worth considering. Is this covered by warranty, btw?

With my own D3, I have decided to leave the problem alone until it gets any worse. I'm not losing much - if any - oil. The only potential issue is that the HPFP belt is getting contaminated with oil which will inevitably reduce its lifespan. Worst case scenario, the HPFP belt fails, I get "Christmas Tree" dash and have to get a ride home on the back of a big yellow taxi.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #14697067th May 2015 8:55 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think I have read somewhere that the timing belt change on a 3.0 does need the body lifting to do the rear pump belt? I'm not sure if this is true, but if it is, then this could be a job to do at the same time. If the leak is not too bad, wait until belts are due. (or do the belts early?)

Post #14697157th May 2015 9:13 am
Tunny

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for your replies...

Yes all its covered by LR 2 year extended warranty and still less than 30days after purchasing it.
Can't complain the Dealer has been spot on with me I've just got to wait a few days for a courtesy car to be available for the 4-5days they want the Disco for.

Just out of interest what is the recommended mileage/age for the timings belt changes etc on these engines? I'm on 4 years old and 59,000miles now.

The dealer is also going to split the inter cooler/radiator space out as well as its got a small covering on old brown leaves and straw sitting in the gap! Must of been sucked in by the viscous fan when the previous owner had it.

Post #14701047th May 2015 9:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >