Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Engine Oil Cooler
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jueylea

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Engine Oil Cooler

I have a 2011 sdv6 which I plan to do a lot more touring with. On some recent trips towing my 1.8t camper trailer I've noted restricted performance after a time (lack of power) with no warnings of any kind. This is travelling on normal undulating roads at 100kph. This led me to purchase a diagnostic tool to monitor things.
I've found engine oil temp is the issue with it rising to over 140C which is when the restriction of power also starts. Coolant temps are not an issue sitting around 90C all the time with as high as 96.
I note there is an Engine oil cooler under the filter. Is it possible for these to fail?
Does anyone produce an auxiliary Engine oil cooler?
What could be possible causes?
Any help would be appreciated. I can sit on 90kph and keep temps to around 136C but this is quite frustrating for other road users, namely trucks, especially when the trailer isn't that large.

Post #204810623rd Apr 2019 10:30 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

You need to get the fault codes that relate to the restricted performance errors. It is not the oil temp and no, I've not heard of anyone adding additional engine oil cooling.

You'll likely find you have an air leak somewhere such as a split manifold, throttle body or throttle body o-ring, stuck valve etc. Without getting the codes it's a needle in a haystack to fix.

Post #204843425th Apr 2019 2:51 am
jueylea

Thanks for the response. No codes are showing on my rovacom IQ. I'll scan with JLR SDD IN THE next day or so an see if that gives me anything. I've seen no warnings on dash or lights of any sort. 140C oil temp and I lose power, not limp mode but certainly very noticeable.

Post #204843725th Apr 2019 5:08 am
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Well if it is related to oil temp it's the first I've heard of it. These cars do get what I consider incredibly high oil temps registering which is a good reason to keep the oil fresh.

Post #204844425th Apr 2019 6:14 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

When we track race of course we get higher engine oil temperatures than normal road-usage. On one occasion this got very high and I spoke to an engine builder and he said reverse-flush the coolers/radiators.

Getting under the car we used an airline and then a hosepipe and flushed the radiators (from the rear face out towards the front of the car) and the amount of debris that came out was amazing to see.

Anyway, it cured the problem. Engine guru said a lot of the UK track venues are surrounded by grass and the radiators pick up grass and seeds as well as all the other bits of rubber and gravel from the track.

I fitted a water pump last weekend to the D4 (after Flack changed the belts and said it would be a good idea). I reversed flushed the radiators seeing as I had the fan assembly out and the same thing happened - loads of 'bits' came out with the airline.

Looking at your location I am wondering if you would benefit from having a backwash through your radiators?

Just a thought.........
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #204845025th Apr 2019 6:39 am
jueylea

Towing again today, bit of a head wind, sat on 100kph and as per normal power drop could be felt as soon as engine oil temp reached 140C. Peaked on long hill at 146C with no bells, whistles or warnings, just it's lack of oomph. Coolant temp never rose above 92C. Ran a full diagnostic with JLR SDD and found nothing other than my normal lost comms with instrument pack.
Quite puzzled by all this. If there was any obstruction to radiators etc I would have thought coolant temps would rise. If an issue with vacuum leaks then dtc's should flag. Coolant cools the oil via the cooler between the V under the filter from what I understand.
Removed spotlights yesterday to see if perhaps air restriction through grill was an issue. Nil change. Wondering if perhaps I should remove winch to see if that affects some cooling due to airflow around the sump perhaps. Am I just way off the mark? Recollection suggests I never had the issue prior to bullbar winch and lights....

Post #204874426th Apr 2019 7:19 am
jueylea

I've just had the Oil cooler replaced (along with coolant), result, same rd same weather, same speed. Oil temp 135 before and today 115.
Appears my issue is fixed however will only load the trailer up again beginning June. Pretty confident though.
Interestingly hard to say if there is any perceivable issues with the old cooler. Water flows through it, and can blow air. Can feel restriction but didn't see the new before going in to compare.
Oil temp to coolant temp now sees a consistent 20C variation.
Will drop a final note (hopefully) after towing next.

Post #205227511th May 2019 7:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >