Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Engine Oil for over 55k miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mason1337

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Engine Oil for over 55k miles

Just wondering if anyone switched from using 5W-30 to 10W-30 oil in the petrol/gas V8s after hitting the 50 thousand mark on the odo. Im currently in an automotve service class, and my instuctor said that switching after about 50 thousand miles would prolong the life of the engine.

Post #20728223rd Sep 2007 11:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
....be careful

I'm sure this will start a huge debate on lubrication oils....but....changing any oil spec has to consider the ambients the car is going to be used in..."thicker oil" for an older engine would seem logical.

But the essential thing to consider is that on cold engine start ups in any ambient, it is essential that lubrication gets to cams & followers as rapidly as possible for the first few minutes of each engine use cycle. The small amounts of wear that could/will occur in using thicker oils add up & shorten the usable life of any engine.
As a mechanical engineer I should have known better but, learned the hard way in destroying a B27 Volvo engine by using just one grade different than specified. Result wrecked camshafts at 110k miles

I would suggest use the right grade for where you operate the vehicle & change more regularly - 15k miles oil change on a diesel is a marketing travesty. The oil may keep most of its lubrication qualities but at the end of its 15k life is full of impurities & contamination that should have been changed out. In my opinion a false economy.
The final analysis is what an engine is like in terms of compressions, oil consumption & measurable wear late in its life...engines that do big miles usually have frequent oil changes with good quality lubricants.

The laws of physics are only changed by the advances & developments in chemistry.The modern synthetics are far wider in the SAE spec of oils from say 15 years ago....but its the first few minutes that do the damage.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #20730724th Sep 2007 4:12 am
mason1337

sounds intresting, i guess ill just keep using castrol gtx 5w-30 until the 75k mark then use gtx high mileage, is that the more reasonable sollution?

Post #20772924th Sep 2007 11:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

mason1337

At least you are using GTX (I take this to be Castrol) - even when you have the full array of US oils to go at....some of these are superb products....especially Penn.

My Disco3 has used about 1/2litre in 11k miles of 'mixed' driving. This I consider about normal from new to where I am now. Changing to a different oil at 75k - just monitor your engines consumption & if it isn't excessive stay with what you have. I wouldn't trade less consumption for not getting oil to the important bits (Cams & followers) that get oil last in the queue on start up

If the oil consumption isn't excessive (being in the states your going to reckon pints per / miles) I wouldn't change - you have to be the judge of whats excessive, most engines will burn a bit of oil even when new. They have to do this & if they didn't something would be wrong - oil that is splashed & misted onto onto cylinder walls has the critical task of lubricating the pistons in the cylinders this is the oil that is consumed.

As an example my other car a Volkswagen Golf Diesel varies sometimes it burns oil & I have to top it up other times it doesn't. What frightens me on this car is that the service intervals are coming up at 18k miles - still using the same brake pads at 42k!
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #20779325th Sep 2007 5:57 am
mason1337

sounds good, ill stick with GTX.
btw that volkswagon, thats crazy man

Post #20815425th Sep 2007 9:10 pm
BLFarrar

mason....1337

Maybe you dont get the same types of VW we do....
its a Golf Plus (like a fat Golf - mini people carrier type thing)...4 normal sized adults OK....lots of legroom
Lots of space...1.9litre diesel engine....with DSG gearbox....six speed Auto/manual/sport...the gearbox is just brilliant...the best I have ever used.
It gives me a tue 45 mpg in average use...pushed hard 40mpg....driven well 50mpg.
Very Very reliable. No warning lights in 44k miles
Driving sensibly in my Disco3 about 24 mpg...I just hope it gets better & cant beleieve the MPG's others are getting - caution tells me not to participate in that thread as my credibillty isnt that good anyway
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #20818225th Sep 2007 10:15 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: ....be careful

BLFarrar wrote:

The laws of physics are only changed by the advances & developments in chemistry.

Eureka !

E=MC[sub]2[/sub]H[sub]5[/sub]OH

Any physical chemists or chemo physicists, want to substantiate this hypothesis ?
sub
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #20818325th Sep 2007 10:21 pm
BLFarrar

Re: ....be careful

dick dastardly wrote:
BLFarrar wrote:

The laws of physics are only changed by the advances & developments in chemistry.

Eureka !

E=MC[sub]2[/sub]H[sub]5[/sub]OH

Any physical chemists or chemo physicists, want to substantiate this hypothesis ?
sub

The point I was trying to make is that with the advances in Oil (chemistry) the laws of physics (reducing friction / metal wear / greater loads / longer intervals between oil changes / increased temperature tolerances)...all involved in the subject of tribilogy....lubrication physics
Consider the oils available say 5 /10 / 15 years ago & compare with available now - synthetics & semi synthetics have changed all the factors listed...
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #20841926th Sep 2007 5:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >