Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Engine Numbers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndyPembs

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Engine Numbers

Is there a way of dating an engine by its number? Reason for asking is that my Disco has had a replacement engine at some point, but I don't know when. All other avenues have been exhausted.... Help anyone?

Post #23526198th Nov 2023 8:53 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I don't know of a direct way of dating the engine's manufacture from it's number, though others might have better insight into this.

That said, vehicle manufacturers have for many years now cast a component build date during the manufacture process, particularly on powertrain and safety related components but many others too.
Some ancillary components carry an adhesive label with a bar code which can sometimes also hold a printed date as well.

With that in mind you may be able to date the engine by looking for the manufacture date stamps/labels on the engine or it's ancillary components. Typically these are cast into the part during manufacture and often take the form of two roundels similar to a clock face with an arrow at it's centre. One roundel indicating the week/month, and the other indicating the year!

The down side of this is that the stamps can often be difficult to see whilst the part is fixed to the engine. Or, the part you are looking at may have been replaced during routine maintenance which would lead to incorrect dating. If though you can find the date marks on heavy components particularly heads/block, or when taken together the stamps on multiple components. You might be able to conclude an accurate date as it's unlikely all of the examined components will have been replaced at the same time!!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23526389th Nov 2023 2:37 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Engine Numbers

AndyPembs wrote:
Is there a way of dating an engine by its number? Reason for asking is that my Disco has had a replacement engine at some point, but I don't know when. All other avenues have been exhausted.... Help anyone?
It is very unlikely even if the engine has been replaced you will find any clues as many were replaced by recon engines without the owner being aware . There is no issue with this as long as they are JLR supplied as they are as good as a new engine and some may say better.  
Post #23526449th Nov 2023 7:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >