DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Engine locked up after belt change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JHSnow

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Engine locked up after belt change

Help.
Tried doing a timing belt change today. Thought the locking pins were in correctly but not so,
After putting the belt in engine only turned about 90 degrees before it locked up . Did not use crank lock.
Can any one suggest how to proceed please.

Post #217615526th Sep 2020 12:24 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Did it lock when turning by hand or when the key was turned? If the latter is true you may have top end damage!

Turn the crankshaft in the opposite direction so that at least you are no longer locking the pistons against the valves. Remove the timing belt and adjust each cam so that it can accept the cam locking tools. Remove the starter and turn the crank so that you can fit the crank locking tool.

Refit the belt and tensioner and torque correctly. Remove locking tools and rotate the engine at least four full cycles, refit the crank and cam locking tools to confirm all is correct.

You need to be 101% certain the locking tools are correctly located before proceeding to the next stage of the belt change.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217616926th Sep 2020 1:17 pm
JHSnow

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Thank you.

Thanks for the information. The engine was only turned over by hand when the problem was noted.
When I noticed the problem and thought about it I was thinking I may be able to do what you suggested. But after stuffing it up in the first place I did not want to try anything without confirmation. Yeah yeah.
Engine is now running well. Starter motor removal was a fun job not. The set of timing tools purchased were all slightly oversized. That is both the pins and flywheel lock. If you have a set would you measure them for me please. Mine are 9.88mm for flywheel and 6.0mm for the pins. M6 bolts are 5.8 which seems a better fit.
Again thanks for the help.

Post #217671128th Sep 2020 8:37 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well at least you have it sorted now and without any unsavoury consequences.

As for the locking tools, the crank tool on an auto trans vehicle should measure 10 mm for the pin, then 20 mm, and 40 mm for the two shoulders. The cam pins are 6.0 mm each or a 6.0 mm drill bit will work fine.

The absolute "no no" is using threaded bolts as these damage the ports which the locking pins fit into.
I suspect this is what might have happened to your engine in previous ownership, and prevented you locating the locking pins correctly.

The manual trans crank locking tool is has an 8 mm pin with the shoulder 39.7 mm, with the cam locking pins being the same 6.0 mm. There has been some reports on here of locking tools not fit for purpose. Whether that is poor quality tools, or damaged locating ports is up for debate. I can tell you that if even the slightest nick is present in the locating ports the cam tool will not want to fit.Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217673428th Sep 2020 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >