Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine fan - why
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rhcaspian

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Engine fan - why

I live and work in the former Soviet Union and run an LR3 with no dealer support, bought the car in Dubai and imported it. Nearest dealer is 2500kms away...I know I have already driven there and back with a suspension fault. That's another story. In the summer I had a problem with the engine fan which seemed to be "sticking" - the viscous bit wasn't working so the car produced this loud woooshhing noise every time you accelarted. Our weather is extreme from + 40 to - 25 deg C so the hot days are hot and the cold are cold. The point I wanted to make is, why with the technology of electrically driven thermo fans did LR decide to fit an engine driven fan on such a technologically driven car?

Post #3363517th Dec 2005 8:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
Re: Engine fan - why

rhcaspian wrote:
I live and work in the former Soviet Union and run an LR3 with no dealer support, bought the car in Dubai and imported it. Nearest dealer is 2500kms away...I know I have already driven there and back with a suspension fault. That's another story. In the summer I had a problem with the engine fan which seemed to be "sticking" - the viscous bit wasn't working so the car produced this loud woooshhing noise every time you accelarted. Our weather is extreme from + 40 to - 25 deg C so the hot days are hot and the cold are cold. The point I wanted to make is, why with the technology of electrically driven thermo fans did LR decide to fit an engine driven fan on such a technologically driven car?

rhcaspian a very warm welcome to you, we have 2 guys from Russia now, brilliant.

A very good question, but LR background is such that over the years LR 110's etc have been used in the field and often stand for long periods of time with the engine running to power a machine or similar. The engines of these cars would run even colder then as it was needed to really cool the engine system.

To date there has never been a better way of cooling that is virtually fail safe, so the viscous fan is the answer. If it sticks, it is a problem and of course in the minus C temps you can get, that is not what you need. The fan is not too difficult to replace if you can get one. Knowing the resourcefulness of the Russian people, I am sure you could do it yourself.

Post #3364317th Dec 2005 9:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >