DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Mod.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
M3bobby

United Kingdom 
Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Mod.

A little back ground first.

Last year I wanted to install the face lift 2014 L319 Disco 4 wing mirrors to my sport so I bought a used unit of ebay to see how it all worked. It was cheap so I was happy to take it apart and give it a clean etc. Everything was good and it had water wading and blindspot alert in the glass......happy days.

So my next step was to buy the other side and it took a while for one at a good price to turn up. One did turn up but it didn't have the water wade or blind spot alert. So I then ended up buying a cheap NEW L405 mirror so I could rob the parts off it to make a pair of mirrors for my car to the same spec.

Fast Forward 8 months and I'm driving down the A17 in traffic and a car drives up behind me with badly adjusted head lights. The interior mirror dims nicely but I'm being blinded by the wing mirrors and I think to my self, I wonder if the electrochromatic wing mirrors can be made to work?

The L320 and L319 never had (AFAIK) Electrochromatic wing mirrors fitted so I thought it was going to be difficult. I looked at the 2002 - 2009 L322 wiring diagram with the idea of trying to retro fit the 02 - 09 L322 mirror and extra wiring for the wing mirrors. I decided against it as the mirror looked a little out of date. Next I looked at the 2010 to 12 L322 and the wiring diagram for that interior mirror showed an 8 way connector like the L320, it visually looked the same as the L320 but it had the needed additional connections. I then took the part number of the 10 - 12 interior mirror that had all the options against it and put it in to ebay search. I made an offer on one of the search results and got it for £15 and it had the additional homelink as well (Not that I need it or have a use for it). I also found as a result of the ebay search that the part number was also fitted to the 2014 -16 L319 (Which is the vehicle it came from) so I knew it would fit the L320.

So the next step was to take a look at what I had in my car. I removed the covers and removed my existing mirror and fitted the new mirror. It was exactly the same except for the homelink button!

10 -12MY L322 Wiring Diagram

Click image to enlarge

10 - 12MY L320 Wiring Diagram

Click image to enlarge

You can see I need to install a White/Green wire to pin 4 and a White/Yellow wire to pin 5, both of a 0.35mm CSA

I couldn't get a White/Green or White/Yellow 0.35mm CSA wire so I decided to go for solid yellow and green instead. Here they are with new crimped terminals fitted.

Next I fitted the wires into cavity 4 & 5 and hooked up a spare wing mirror glass to the other end to see if it would work

Top is normal, bottom is Chromatic active.

So it works, next step is to chase the wires through the car to the left door connector (I already have the wiring from the mirror to the door connector fitted) and then a splice from each wire to the right mirror.

If fitting late Disco 4 mirrors is to much, I think this mod would work on all RRS and Discovery 3/4 if it’s possible to fit either 2010 - 12 FFRR wing mirrors or glass.

Post #20596959th Jun 2019 8:39 am
tonymcg

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi M3bobby, great mod!

My BMW 3 series has auto dimming interior and exterior wing mirrors and I really miss it on the disco

I've not had much success figuring out which Electrochromatic mirror glass fits the disco 4 face lift (one with the indicator built into the wing mirror housing) I think the Range Rover L405 uses the same mirror

Was wondering if you had found out the part numbers for the Electrochromatic mirror glass that's fit the disco 4 face lift

Cheers

Tony
 D4 HSE Luxury 2016
D3 HSE 2009
D2 ES Premium 2003 

Post #210241928th Nov 2019 6:33 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

Yes it was the L405 mirror glass I fitted. The spec you want will depend on the spec you already have, there’s pretty much a combination of every one of the following.
Flat or Convex
As above but with warnings in various languages or non.
As above, tinted or plain
As above with or without heater
As above with or without blind spot
As above with or without electrochromic dimming

I just went balls out and got 2 convex, no marking, dimmed, heated and electrochromic. The negative to this mod is the cost of the glass, second hand they were £80 but if I remember correctly I bought one mirror unit and used the glass, selling the left over and bought one 2nd hand glass only.

I no longer get dazzled in standing traffic or by vehicles with poor headlight adjustment.
 012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #210243228th Nov 2019 7:20 pm
Andrew_W

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hi,
just looking at doing the same mod to my D4, having established that I have 2 missing wires in the centre mirror connector block as in the picture.

Please can you tell me what type of connector block it is or the type/size of terminals that are required?

Thanks
Andrew

Post #21034454th Dec 2019 8:24 am
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

I’ll have a look for the Pt number. They are common pins and connectors.

There’s 2 wires from mirror to the door connector, door connector to wing mirror connector, wing mirror connector to mirror glass connector. The mirror glass assembly has the wiring fitted. The biggest issue is finding the connector for the glass if you want to keep it as original. Otherwise it’s a case of cut it off and find 2 similar mating connectors.

Obviously you need to take a feed from the first set of wires for the other wing mirror.
 012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #21035084th Dec 2019 1:35 pm
lrovy

France 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourLR4

M3bobby, your mods are great and am amazed by what you've achieved.

Looking for similar mod for D4 MY10, I couldn't find a glass with fotochrome (never built for it) but also looked through BMW models and couldn't find one which would have same shape. The L322 could be modded with E53 wing mirror but L319 (pre-lift, 2010) seems like we're stuck.

Any thoughts on this or avenues how to research?

Post #220491524th Jan 2021 2:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >