Page 3 of 3 <123
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Great news it’s all now sorted out Thumbs Up

Also imagine it drives a lot nicer than before after replacing the wishbones

Post #20583684th Jun 2019 1:59 pm
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The drive to get the alignment done was a bit interesting to say the least. The drive afterwards was amazing. A piccy of the worst Bush Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Post #20583704th Jun 2019 2:10 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Have you had the steering angle sensor recalibrated?
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #20583774th Jun 2019 2:31 pm
doz

Didn't need to. Once the steering wheel was in the straight ahead position it cleared on the next start

Post #20583844th Jun 2019 2:59 pm
gstuart

doz wrote:
The drive to get the alignment done was a bit interesting to say the least. The drive afterwards was amazing. A piccy of the worst Bush Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Good to hear as it was the same it’s mine, like night and day

Funny they all seem to come out like that Laughing

Post #20584834th Jun 2019 6:54 pm
gstuart

Narpy wrote:
Have you had the steering angle sensor recalibrated?

Out of curiosity plse if that angle isn’t checked at zero with the wheel straight will the DSC start playing up

Thks Thumbs Up

Post #20584854th Jun 2019 6:59 pm
doz

And hill descent, terrain control and suspension won't go up or down but doesn't drop to the bump stops. Well that's what happened to mine

Post #20584914th Jun 2019 7:11 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

All the steering angle sensor does is to tell the car where the straight ahead position is. The car then sets up it's own parameters around knowing where dead ahead is. From this information, it is then known ( for example ) the wheels on the inside of a bend turn slower than on the opposite side and the car makes allowances for this. It knows all this because it knows where dead ahead is.
The problem comes when you have suspension work done OR you have suspension components that are badly worn. The car tries to compensate, fails to do so and ends up launching it's toys out of the pram by displaying a whole host of warnings and bells and whistles.

Once you've had work done, or especially after a 4 wheel alignment, it is vital you recalibrate or re-tell the car where straight ahead is again because it will have changed and in the op's case, potentially changed quite considerably because his car was a country mile out.

Using the steering wheel as a guide is unwise IMHO because it will have been adjusted by the alignment centre and could still be out in relation to straight ahead. My own car was realigned, came back with an offset steering wheel yet drove perfectly well and others on the forum have experienced similar. ( It went back and was corrected incidentally )
Another problem with using the steering wheel as a guide is you might be running with the SAS at it's maximum tolerance, so the feeling of having fixed the problem probably won't last as the new components settle in.
I can't think of a reason not to recalibrate unless you don't have a diagnostic tool.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Last edited by Narpy on 4th Jun 2019 11:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20585474th Jun 2019 10:36 pm
doz

Good point well made. When mine threw a hissy fit over the steering angle it was 11° out. I haven't checked it since being aligned. It wouldn't hurt to see.

Post #20585534th Jun 2019 11:09 pm
gstuart

Narpy wrote:
All the steering angle sensor does is to tell the car where the straight ahead position is. The car then sets up it's own parameters around knowing where dead ahead is. From this information, it is then known ( for example ) the wheels on the inside of a bend turn slower than on the opposite side and the car makes allowances for this. It knows all this because it knows where dead ahead is.
The problem comes when you have suspension work done OR you have suspension components that are badly worn. The car tries to compensate, fails to do so and ends up launching it's toys out of the pram by displaying a whole host of warnings and bells and whistles.

Once you've had work done, or especially after a 4 wheel alignment, it is vital you recalibrate or re-tell the car where straight ahead is again because it will have changed and in the op's case, potentially changed quite considerably because his car was a country mile out.

Using the steering wheel as a guide is unwise IMHO because it will have been adjusted by the alignment centre and could still be out in relation to straight ahead. My own car was realigned, came back with an offset steering wheel yet drove perfectly well and others on the forum have experienced similar. ( It went back and was corrected incidentally )
Another problem with using the steering wheel as a guide is you might be running with the SAS at it's maximum tolerance, so the feeling of having fixed the problem probably won't last as the new components settle in.
I can't think of a reason not to recalibrate unless you don't have a diagnostic tool.

Hi

Bless u so much for taking the time writing out a fantastic explanation thank u Bow down Thumbs Up

I had my alignment done over in Surrey after members here recommended them , when they first done the alignment indeed the steering wheel was out as they drove it out the garage , before I could say anything they drove it straight back on the ramps and went through it all again to ensure the alignment and steering wheel was spot on , inc checking / resetting the angle sensor

Was quite pleased with myself as When I fitted the new wishbones the camber angles weren’t miles out

Post #20585625th Jun 2019 1:25 am
gstuart

doz wrote:
Good point well made. When mine threw a hissy fit over the steering angle it was 11° out. I haven't checked it since being aligned. It wouldn't hurt to see.

Mine was 5 degrees out before alignment and indeed as narpy says really worth doing Thumbs Up

Ur nanocom should be able to reset it

Indeed as u say it controls a lot of other systems , had a look out of curiosity

The medium speed bus connects the following control modules:

� Integrated Head Unit (IHU) or low line head unit � Heating and ventilation control module
� Fuel burning heater
� Park distance control
� Tyre pressure monitoring control module � Central junction box

The high speed bus connects the following control modules:

� Steering angle sensor
� Air suspension
� Electric park brake
� Electronic rear differential control module � Terrain ResponseTM
� Restraint control module
� Engine control module
� Transmission control module
� Adaptive front lighting system control module � Antilock Braking System (ABS) control module

Both the medium and high speed CAN bus are connected to the Instrument cluster and the diagnostic socket at one end. The Medium speed bus terminates at the Central Junction Box (CJB), while the high speed bus terminates at the ABS control module.
Control modules are connected in either a loop , CAN in/ CAN out, or a spur configuration. Should a control module that is looped fail that bus system will fail at that point. Should a spurred control module fail the rest of the bus system will be unaffected by the faulty control module.

Plus always wanted to know what These meant

High speed Controller Area Network (CAN) bus

� Medium speed CAN bus
� Media Orientated System Transport (MOST) bus
� Gigabit Video Interface (GVIF)
� Local Interconnect (LIN) bus
� Security Local Interconnect (SLIN) bus

Post #20585635th Jun 2019 1:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >