Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Electric hook up in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Electric hook up in France

Hi all, does anyone know which adapter we need to convert our blue plug to work in France. Pics would help, thanks in advance.

Post #205698629th May 2019 6:52 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15893636/mayp...pYQAvD_BwE

James
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #205698729th May 2019 6:56 pm
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for that James.

Post #205699329th May 2019 7:24 pm
PCT3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That’s the baby.
I always carry a socket tester as well to check polarity and used too carry two adapters wired opposite to insure that my English wired, protected caravan had protection on the live side, a lot of continental sites don’t necessarily wire the same as they use dual pole contractors in there systems where as we use single pole. My current motor home is German so uses duel pole contactors so I have no need to be worried about polarity.
 Discovery 3 HSE 07
Discovery 1, Search & Rescue SE4x4 Responce
Fiat Decato motor home
Mazda MX5 

Post #205703929th May 2019 10:53 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

That's a really good point, never occurred to me.

A socket tester like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multimerix-Arnoux...&psc=1
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy

Post #205708830th May 2019 7:58 am
al cope

England 

same here - as even when French sites have the blue 16A sockets I have found them wired the wrong way round. I now carry 2 french to Blue adaptors (one straight through, the other live and neutral reversed) and a blue 16A to 16A with live and neutral reversed. I check with a tester to see what the socket on the site is wired and then fit whichever of my adapators is needed

tester here - cheaper in screwfix: https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-k810-ac-vol...pack/5449h

And just because a site or your 'van has dual pole contactors this only helps if your switch those off to isolate a device. In general with the mains switched on, if the polirity is the "wrong way round" the switches/sockets in your 'van when switched off will have the neutral switched off so the fitting will still be "live", just not on.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #205709430th May 2019 8:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
James W

United Kingdom 

Al - So would you put that UK plus tester into a socket in the van to check? and then change your blue adapter over as required based on polarity?

I was thinking of putting the tester directly into the supply on the column/pole/etc. before connecting up - hence my link to an euro-shaped tester?

Post #205711130th May 2019 8:51 am
al cope

England 

Noo - I never connect the 'van until I have checked the polarity at the post socket. I have a short lead with 16A blue to 13A 3pin UK socket that I plug in with the tester in it. Once happy with polarity I then connect to the 'van.

I went for the 13A UK version tester as I have used it over here as well.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #205711230th May 2019 8:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
James W

United Kingdom 

Understood Thumbs Up

Will shamelessly copy this approach. Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #205712330th May 2019 10:06 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Reversed polarity will not harm your van or equipment and everything will work as normal the only thing to remember is that IF your van only has single pole switching there will still be live electricity at the equipment end of the cable so to be safe just do not stick your fingers into electric equipment unless disconnected at the campsite pole.

We have been travelling around Europe since the fifties and have never had a problem and as a BTW it is not only France that has reversed polarity and they are not worried about it as they use double pole switching. That is the live and the neutral are both switched off or on - pity we don't use this system Evil or Very Mad

The only thing that is a real worry is if the earth is not connected correctly and that I have only come across once in all my years touring/working in Europe. So just go and enjoy your trip Very Happy
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #205712930th May 2019 10:34 am
al cope

England 

^^ thats not aways the case, even last year 2 brits with Swift 'vans who came in next to us in france had issues with their dometic fridges not wanting to work with the polarity reversed.

It just makes life easier if you check and "correct" it.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #205713830th May 2019 11:15 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

I do not see why the fridges should not work !! We have a Dometic Fridge in our caravan and it has always worked even when on reversed polarity! Bow down
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #205714030th May 2019 11:51 am
al cope

England 

I agree Ted - but both of these 2, both brand new swift 'vans the fridge didnt want to play ball with the polarity reversed.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #205715030th May 2019 12:59 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I would agree with all that has been seaid about the French plug adaptor. However more and more French sites are now changing over to the same plug/socket as fitted to UK sites.

With regards to reverse polarity. I have found some fridges dont work as well if the polarity is reversed but they still work, I have also noted that all new Swift vans already have reverse polarity tester/limiter built into the control unit, our new Elegance Grande does, but I will still check, and yes I have as per Al two leads one set up for reverse polarity.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #205715230th May 2019 1:04 pm
Washwipe

England 

We have one of the first Swift Elegance and has the reversed polarity warning fitted.

Post #205722130th May 2019 7:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >