Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EGR Gas Flow and Wynns cleaner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lohr500

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
EGR Gas Flow and Wynns cleaner

The yellow engine warning light came on yesterday which after reading several posts I suspect is most likely related to an EGR fault. It did go off after several engine re-starts. Our's is an 08MM model so again after reading the posts I don't think I can just blank off the pipes.

I am going to try a can of Wynns EGR3 as it seems to get good reports, but a daft question.

When these valve things open, in which direction does the gas flow through the pipes?
Instinct tells me air must be drawn down the two pipes from the inlet manifold towards the valves, otherwise wouldnt exhaust gas be blown into the air intake?

Just thinking if this is the case, I could try to aim some of the Wynn's cleaner down the pipes so it reaches the EGR valves directly, rather than allowing it all to run through the engine.

A quick explanation on how the EGR valves work would be a big help as I have never had any dealings with them before.

Thanks.

Post #90047623rd Feb 2012 7:37 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Gas flow is from the exhaust manifold, through the EGR cooler, then the valve itself. After that it is drawn up the little metal pipes, and back into the inlet manifold to be 'recycled' Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #90047723rd Feb 2012 7:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lohr500

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for that Disco_Mikey.

No point blasting the EGR spray down the pipes then!!

Looks like it will have to go in where the I/C flexible pipe joins the plastic housing. Same housing that the EGR pipes also attach to. Although other posts say avoid the airflow sensor.

Wonder what the inlet manifold pressure is at tick over with the i/c pipe attached? Perhaps I could squirt the spray in through the MAP sensor hole. Had that sensor out tonight and cleaned it after reading the post all about it. Mine was pretty well clogged up as well.

Post #90079823rd Feb 2012 8:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >